Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 05:53 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Sweden has had 1,438 deaths per million population, thats not a particularly 'good' return! Especially when you consider the population density of the place. This week Sweden has had an 18% growth in Covid cases.
I suspect that, like in the UK, the death rates have dropped dramatically recently thanks to the vaccines that have now been extensively dished out in Europe.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...weekly-trends/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 05:54 PM

25,763 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Their strategy has not worked well overall.
Which is clearly demonstrated at this juncture by their having zero deaths and our having a rising number of deaths. Makes sense.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Which is clearly demonstrated at this juncture by their having zero deaths and our having a rising number of deaths. Makes sense.
I like how you used “at this juncture” as an excuse to cherry pick the last month of data when Sweden has fared rather poorly during Covid overall.

And like the above poster mentioned, any success that they are now seeing is due to the vaccines.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
According to an estimate from Reuters, approxaimtely 49.3% of Sweden's population has been fully vaccinated, which is about the same percentage as in the US overall.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-c...tories/sweden/ https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...racker-states/

Old 07-24-2021, 06:12 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
I like how you used “at this juncture” as an excuse to cherry pick the last month of data when Sweden has fared rather poorly during Covid overall.

And like the above poster mentioned, any success that they are now seeing is due to the vaccines.
Do me a favor when you get the chance: google "Sweden deaths covid" and observe the timeline of Covid deaths that pops up on your screen. If it were true that "any success Sweden is seeing now is due to the vaccines," how can you possibly explain deaths being near zero on a daily basis starting around this time last year and continuing until November? Vaccines weren't available then!

Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do me a favor when you get the chance: google "Sweden deaths covid" and observe the timeline of Covid deaths that pops up on your screen. If it were true that "any success Sweden is seeing now is due to the vaccines," how can you possibly explain deaths being near zero on a daily basis starting around this time last year and continuing until November? Vaccines weren't available then!
All the of the other Nordic countries surrounding Sweden locked down hard last year; I believe they benefited from that positive externality. They also imposed travel restrictions.

There is far more travel in and out of Scandinavia this summer compared to last and the current Covid variants are far more transmissible. And despite all of that, Sweden is seeing a low number of deaths.

The reason is that the vaccines work and the science behind them is solid.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
As you can see Sweden, like the rest of the world, has had Covid 'waves', cases go up when the country is not in 'lockdown' they then go down again when the country IS in lockdown, the death rate follows a very similar 'pattern' (obviously), BUT there is a difference with the last/latest 'wave', the difference is that the death rate (unlike with earlier 'waves') does NOT follow the same pattern! The reason why? Its the vaccine!

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

The positive affect of the vaccine is shown even more clearly when it comes to the UK, which has just suffered the full might of the Indian 'Delta' variant (unsurprisingly when you consider the links to India and the large Indian ex-pat population of the UK)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

As you can VERY CLEARLY see, when the UK exited lockdown the Delta variant really took off (third wave) yet UNLIKE the first 'waves' the death rates stayed flat and DID NOT follow as they did before. Thanks to the vaccine the UK continued to stay out of lockdown and now, thanks to the vaccine, the UK is not only out of any kind of lockdown or restrictions but the infection rate is now falling and the death rate remains flat.

A very easy to follow visual showing how the vaccine is defeating the virus in the UK, lets just pray that a vaccine resistant strain does'nt come along!

Old 07-24-2021, 07:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
All the of the other Nordic countries surrounding Sweden locked down hard last year; I believe they benefited from that positive externality. They also imposed travel restrictions.

There is far more travel in and out of Scandinavia this summer compared to last and the current Covid variants are far more transmissible. And despite all of that, Sweden is seeing a low number of deaths.

How come the 49% vaccination rate works over there but not over here? Or is it because they don't work at all, but it's the strategy that works, and their's was largely hands off.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:17 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:

Then why didn't they "benefit from that positive externality" in spring 2020, when they averaged almost 100 deaths a day? Why did it take till summer for deaths to drop to just a few a day? I remember the Nordic countries getting a lot of attention for their people being among the earliest to voluntarily make "lockdown-like" changes to their routines (it was visible in movement data from Google and Apple, as I recall). But again, the deaths still didn't get really low until the summer.

The better answer, then, looks to be seasonal changes. I'm sorry, but crediting Sweden's summer lull in 2020 to lockdowns in other countries when they themselves did not do one is just not compelling.

If what I've said above is basically true, then the summer lull in 2021 would be due to a combination of seasonal effects and vaccines, which I think makes sense.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 07-24-2021 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-24-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Then why didn't they "benefit from that positive externality" in spring 2020, when they averaged almost 100 deaths a day? Why did it take till summer for deaths to drop to just a few a day?

The better answer looks to be seasonal changes. I'm sorry, but crediting Sweden's summer lull in 2020 to lockdowns in other countries when they themselves did not do one is just not compelling.

If what I've said above is basically true, then the summer lull in 2021 would be to a combination of seasonal effects and vaccines, which I think makes sense.
See post 17, LOOK at the graphs, the affectiveness of the vaccine is there in black & white, the fact that it is so clear in the UK is because 90% of adults in the UK have now had the jab. Thanks to that we are NOT in any kind of lockdown here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies