Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 11:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think it is a dangerous thing when one administration on a knee jerk basis "investigates", i.e. persecutes the previous administration and political party. This is the U.S., not Paraguay.
Trump campaigned to chants of "lock her up!" ... and he meant it too, but his administration couldn't find any real thing to pin on her.

Trump tried to get a foreign country to prosecute his political opponent.

Malicious prosecution is illegal in this country, so he couldn't get the Justice Department nor any other US state or local government to do it. Can you imagine that? The man whose primary task is to serve and protect the American people would sic foreign governments on them?

Didn't any of that bother you?

Old 08-08-2021, 05:31 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump campaigned to chants of "lock her up!" ... and he meant it too, but his administration couldn't find any real thing to pin on her.

Trump tried to get a foreign country to prosecute his political opponent.

Malicious prosecution is illegal in this country, so he couldn't get the Justice Department nor any other US state or local government to do it. Can you imagine that? The man whose primary task is to serve and protect the American people would sic foreign governments on them?

Didn't any of that bother you?
Very much. I was about the only one in 12th grade, in September 1974 to support the Nixon pardon. I opposed the Clinton, and Trump, impeachments. I think that inter-party prosecutions in general are a terrible idea. I was, however, for Nixon's being forced to resign.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You mean, kind of like conspiracy 2016 election morons, chants of Russia Russia Russia, "lock him up".

Old 08-08-2021, 05:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I'm not a Trump fan.......but....the IRS has audited his taxes for years.......at some point we have to let this go. We know he isn't as rich as he wants us to believe.....we know he uses every possible tax break to get out of paying taxes (and who wouldn't)......we just have to let this go.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm not a Trump fan.......but....the IRS has audited his taxes for years.......at some point we have to let this go. We know he isn't as rich as he wants us to believe.....we know he uses every possible tax break to get out of paying taxes (and who wouldn't)......we just have to let this go.
Real sad when experts in the IRS has to turn over somebody's tax return to NON experts to draw up their own conclusions. After all isn't that what the IRS does, go after people who didn't pay enough taxes

Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 PM

98 posts, read 79,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
We already know he's used different values for assets for different purposes. He overvalues them to the banks, and under values to the IRS. That's both bank fraud and tax fraud. Trump probably has more legal firepower than the IRS does and has had them tied up in knots for years.

Also, as I said above, this is likely to not be about taxes anyway, but perhaps evidence collection on other crimes.

Except you don't pay income taxes on the "value" of your assets...so how exactly would that be income tax fraud?

Old 08-08-2021, 06:20 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
Except you don't pay income taxes on the "value" of your assets...so how exactly would that be income tax fraud?
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

I want my buildings valued as high as possible as far as the IRS is concerned. That higher they are valued, the more I can deduct from my taxes for depreciation.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:31 PM

98 posts, read 79,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

I want my buildings valued as high as possible as far as the IRS is concerned. That higher they are valued, the more I can deduct from my taxes for depreciation.

In terms of depreciation I agree, the larger the cost the more you'll be able to deduct as depreciation expense. I'm just not sure what was meant by "undervalues to IRS." If we're talking strictly about income taxes then the value of something is basically moot.

Maybe kdog was referring to the value of something in the context of a charitable deduction? But if that was the case it would be idiotic to undervalue the asset and thus decrease your charitable deduction.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:36 PM

27,658 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Yes, the dc sewer is that afraid.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:14 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Benjamin Franklin said, "there were only two things certain in life: death and taxes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies