Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 01:53 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Who's more likely to harm normal, law adiding Black men like us: "Racists" venting about Black people online or Black people like the guy in the video? The answer is the latter.

People are allowed to feel how they want about difference races and we all have the right to distance ourselves from them if we disagree with their views. I met an anti-Semitic White guy in college who tried to be my friend. When I discovered his anti-Semitic views, I told him he was wrong for that and, when he doubled down on it, I chose to distance myself from him. But I do believe he's entitled to his views, as long as he's not actively trying to harm others.

The Black community as a whole should care more about the negative elements of our own community than racism because the former are harming and killing us all the time while the latter is not only subjective but far more harmless. I don't have an iota of respect for David Duke but David Duke isn't harming Black people any more than ourselves.

It's all a matter or perspective and priorities. I don't support racism in any forms towards any group whether it be Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, Jews, Chinese, Arabs, etc. But I also understand that the negative elements of the Black community seemingly being downplayed and coddled by our own civilians, community leaders, and politicians makes us look bad as a collective.

So, I see it both ways. We can only stick our heads in the sand for so long.
This is my perspective. I've dealt with harm both from some White people and some Black people. My perspective is that for me, this is more than just people venting online. I think about my own personal experiences and things I've been through.

I have to consider that Blacks are 13% of the U.S. population. We're in the minority. I have to think about how someone might perceive me as a Black person. I don't want to. However, it's something I have to think about.

And I do think it's compatible for Black people to be concerned about both the racism they would face, as well as crime that many Black people have to deal with. I would say why not be concerned about BOTH?

And something else. The underclass criminals within the Black population, many would commit such crimes regardless of being coddled or not. Many of those underclass criminals don't care about anyone, not even other Black people. Nihilism 101. When alot of decent, hardworking Black people get a chance, they get away from those elements. They try to separate themselves from those elements.

My perspective is this. I find it easier to remove myself from a bad neighborhood than from a being judged based on the very worst portion of the Black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't have an answer for you. Is it fair to you as a law abiding decent human being? No it isn't. Am I going to subject myself or my family to the risk knowing what I know? No I won't.

Would it have any effect on our interactions in a store, on a plane, at work? Nope. On the lonely street, especially when I'm outnumbered or with my kids? Yes, it would.
Well, I'll just say this. I've dealt with enough bigoted individuals (of different ethnicities) that I've ran out of patience a long time ago.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
For me it depends on the city and/or area. Regarding Dallas I wasn't going to wait until a group of black teenage boys/young men got too close to find out if they might be trouble. I crossed the street... and if they followed I went into a store. I don't know what Dallas is like today. However, in the early 90's it could be dangerous esp. if you had to walk or ride the bus everywhere.
I was a little boy in the 1990s, and living in the Pacific Northwest. I eventually grew up in a rural/suburban area in Georgia in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:59 PM

13,755 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was a little boy in the 1990s, and living in the Pacific Northwest. I eventually grew up in a rural/suburban area in Georgia in the late 1990s/early 2000s.
Sounds interesting.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Sounds interesting.
My experiences growing up in the late 1990s/early 2000s was interesting, and not always in a good way. It wasn't one particular race I had to watch out for. I got jumped by White kids a few times, namely the kind of kids who did alot of skateboarder. Once I got it from two guys who were, well, the Confederate flag-loving types. I also got jumped by Black kids a few times. These were the "hood wannabe" types, and even a few underclass nuts. All of this while living in an area that was about 85-90% White (my middle school was 95% White, my high school ranged between 80-90% White). And I was in rural/suburban area.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:06 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penlady61 View Post
Me three .
Congrats! I meet more people all the time that were changed in recent years due either obama being so bad or Trump being so good. Or both such as with me

Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You didn't need to mention race since your video clip told us everything we need to know - colorwise, anyhow.
elaborate

Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
There are more Independents/ unaffiliated than Democrats or Republicans. This trend is expected to continue as more people tire of the noise and realize not much difference in parties.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:27 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is my perspective. I've dealt with harm both from some White people and some Black people. My perspective is that for me, this is more than just people venting online. I think about my own personal experiences and things I've been through.

I have to consider that Blacks are 13% of the U.S. population. We're in the minority. I have to think about how someone might perceive me as a Black person. I don't want to. However, it's something I have to think about.

And I do think it's compatible for Black people to be concerned about both the racism they would face, as well as crime that many Black people have to deal with. I would say why not be concerned about BOTH?

And something else. The underclass criminals within the Black population, many would commit such crimes regardless of being coddled or not. Many of those underclass criminals don't care about anyone, not even other Black people. Nihilism 101. When alot of decent, hardworking Black people get a chance, they get away from those elements. They try to separate themselves from those elements.

My perspective is this. I find it easier to remove myself from a bad neighborhood than from a being judged based on the very worst portion of the Black population.
I guess it depends. Like I said, I don't agree with racism at all. I'm in an interracial relationship, went on mission trips to Haiti and Guatemala to help those in need, and have a Black owned tutoring business outside of my main job that I started with a good friend of mines whose also Black.

At the same time, though, I think focusing on racism more than these negative elements is an error. Keep in mind that I do believe it's very much possible to focus on both but I believe latter holds far more weight than the former.

Online posters on sites like 4Chan that say the N Word(with the er at the end) and people who hold racist views privately in their home lives are a non-factor in the grand scheme of things. The last time a true racist lashed out at Black people in a horrifying way was back in 2015 with the Charleston Church shooting but that was a looong time ago and an isolated incident.

The negative elements in the Black community don't defend "non-stereotypical" law abiding Black people as much as we do them though which explains why that BLM activist Sasha Johnson got shot by the very people she tried fighting for in London. Not only do they play a big role in hurting our overall reputation but they prey on us more than any other demographic.

A lot of people deemed "racist" are just saying what they feel the Black community doesn't say enough to our violent offenders and degenerates. They feel the Black community is too relaxed in letting them run amok, hence the frustration.

That's why I see it both ways. I don't condone innocent Black people facing racism at all and stand against it. But someone telling the truth about why the Black community gets the reputation we have as a collective isn't racist. It's just the truth. I could lie and say that the average young Black man that Whites encounter is decent and sophisticated like myself but I'd look like Pinocchio lol. And it pains me to say that but it's the truth.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:34 PM

830 posts, read 487,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
That's why I see it both ways. I don't condone innocent Black people facing racism at all and stand against it. But someone telling the truth about why the Black community gets the reputation we have as a collective isn't racist. It's just the truth. I could lie and say that the average young Black man that Whites encounter is decent and sophisticated like myself but I'd look like Pinocchio lol. And it pains me to say that but it's the truth.
But why do you think that's the case? And what's the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies