Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 09:40 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I keep seeing this happen in the big cities, like Atlanta, NYC and San Fransisco. Am I imagining a trend, or is it just normal, but there is more video now? I just want to. know if it is a trend as I want to protect myself.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/brutal-se...deo-police-say
reparations in action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 10:06 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think we all know the answer. It's been discussed ad nauseam, for decades. There are reams of research, dating back to 1900. However, this is the point I was making. If the Black population in these cities has taken a drop, but crime among some Black criminals is on the rise, then perhaps it's about WHO within the Black population is leaving and who is staying, and why. And does gentrification really work as well as some people think?
Gotcha….that is a fair point. It is a subset (small but vocal/impactful) of the demographic that is responsible for the violent crime and perpetuating negative stereotypes.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:14 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I'm a young Black man(See my profile pic). A lot of young Black men under the age of 35 are trash, although some like myself are great people. Young Hispanic men aren't much better either.

I have no problem admitting that either. It's easier to acknowledge an uncomfortable truth than live in an illusion. Most "anti-Blackness" is driven by bad experiences with the negative elements of the Black community.

Most people don't have a problem with Blacks and Hispanics that are productive, law abiding citizens. Just the ones who contribute to negative scenarios and impacts like the guy in the video. I'm doing my part running a tutoring business on the side with another non-stereotypical Black man from New York to ensure that more Black kids don't grow up to be degenerate trash like so many.
Yeah I honestly haven’t had as bad of experiences with Hispanics. In Chicago Blacks and Hispanics are roughly the same population (Hispanics slightly larger), but during pre-pandemic days, riding the train to work, during the work-week, on a regular basis, I would encounter at least a few times per week, loud, cursing, disruptive people. 99% of the time it was African Americans. Hispanics tended to not act up and be as disruptive in public. There are notoriously dangerous Latino neighborhoods and gangs, but in everyday interactions, I have never had any troubles. In the neighborhood I live in there is very little violent crime, but the few rare incidents they made headlines, unfortunately, it involved Black suspects.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:44 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah I honestly haven’t had as bad of experiences with Hispanics. In Chicago Blacks and Hispanics are roughly the same population (Hispanics slightly larger), but during pre-pandemic days, riding the train to work, during the work-week, on a regular basis, I would encounter at least a few times per week, loud, cursing, disruptive people. 99% of the time it was African Americans. Hispanics tended to not act up and be as disruptive in public. There are notoriously dangerous Latino neighborhoods and gangs, but in everyday interactions, I have never had any troubles. In the neighborhood I live in there is very little violent crime, but the few rare incidents they made headlines, unfortunately, it involved Black suspects.

Yea but you like using Chicago as an example when in New York Id say I encounter mentally ill blacks Latinos whites on public transportation.

I’d say it’s equally high for black Americans and Puerto Ricans.

Take Los Angeles, Phoenix, El Paso for example I can see Latino crime mostly by Mexican Americans that make news daily.

Chicago is also a very typical example because it was always a very high crime place during prohibition and throughout its history and is quite known for its corruption. And yes of course it doesn’t mean we should ignore crime there.

I watched a video of a man doing some type of review of a restaurant and talking to locals in the area about the place and the man was carjacked in broad daylight (no he wasn’t black it was a white guy by the way).

Chicago honestly NEVER EVER ever had a great reputation as a city for a very long time even before blacks and Latinos came there in large numbers.

And I honestly dont think cities at this point have a large amount of underclass whites. They’re concentrated in very rural areas while for underclass blacks and Latinos outside of the south and west it’s in large urban metro areas.

Last edited by Relaxx; 08-10-2021 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I think we all know the answer. It's been discussed ad nauseam, for decades. There are reams of research, dating back to 1900. However, this is the point I was making. If the Black population in these cities has taken a drop, but crime among some Black criminals is on the rise, then perhaps it's about WHO within the Black population is leaving and who is staying, and why. And does gentrification really work as well as some people think?
Crime rates have been at their lowest since the 1980s 70s crime wave or whatever and the crack epidemic has also been over with attention focused on addressing opioid addiction in the suburbs. Even the notion that crime is on the rise is very debatable.

Of course this doesn’t mean we should ignore crime

Old 08-10-2021, 10:50 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I'm a young Black man(See my profile pic). A lot of young Black men under the age of 35 are trash, although some like myself are great people. Young Hispanic men aren't much better either.

I have no problem admitting that either. It's easier to acknowledge an uncomfortable truth than live in an illusion. Most "anti-Blackness" is driven by bad experiences with the negative elements of the Black community.

Most people don't have a problem with Blacks and Hispanics that are productive, law abiding citizens. Just the ones who contribute to negative scenarios and impacts like the guy in the video. I'm doing my part running a tutoring business on the side with another non-stereotypical Black man from New York to ensure that more Black kids don't grow up to be degenerate trash like so many.
I'm 35 years old. I think there are many young Black men who are complete trash. I also understand that the majority of young Black men are NOT trash. The thing is, the criminal underclass elements scream the loudest and have no shame about doing bad stuff.

This is the thing with me. I know that there are many young Black men who are trash. I don't find it easy to talk about it. Black people are already the most looked down on group in America. We've been looked down on from day one. When you're already looked down, well, it segues into this.

Why would I want to talk about any of this with someone who has anti-Black attitudes. Said persons have already made their choice to be hateful and anti-Black. I don't care why said persons are anti-Black. You might say it could come from experience. My own experiences have involved running into some anti-Black individuals who were from places were very few Blacks lived. Some of it could come from experience. Some of it is just plain old bigotry.

I had the displeasure of dealing with someone who felt the need to vent their own anti-Black attitudes at me. Said person talking about how he was "sick of Black people" and "majority of Black people are ghetto" and blamed it on then-President Obama. Now, I'm far from ghetto. I've been described as nerdy. This guy felt the need to lash out to me. Let's just say I never spoke to him again. Anyone coming at me with anti-Black animus, I don't think said person should be part of the conversation. All said person brings to the table is rage, arrogance, and hate.

I know there are plenty of people who don't hate Black people. When it comes to this discussion about crime in the Black people, the loudest voices are the ones with the most anger and disdain towards Blacks. When those are the loudest voices, more time will be spent trying to shout them down. More time will be spent trying to prove to hateful individuals how wrong they are. Less time is spent on actually talking about solutions. More time is spent dealing with racial tensions and animus.

I'm doing what I can to be a productive member of society. Sadly, people remember thugs and hood rats more. People like us get lost in this.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:51 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
is this a hate crime or not?

Old 08-10-2021, 10:58 AM

1,153 posts, read 631,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It kind of depends on where you live tbh. I find that, in places like Brooklyn, Queens, the DMV, and many parts of the South, you're more likely to encounter all types of Blacks due to there being strong middle class Black communities in these areas on top of the poor/working class.

In places like Chicago, many parts of New England, Missouri, etc. the Black populations are mostly concentrated in poor and segregated dilapidated neighborhoods and you don't really encounter the full spectrum of Black people as much as the aforementioned areas I mentioned.

In New England, the Black population out here is more "low income" concentrated compared to NYC. In NYC, I run into a lot of Blacks that are yuppies, professionals, and educated with ease depending on the neighborhood. You run into them here as well but not in the form of a large community. The worst element is more visible than the better off ones. I was at the mall after work yesterday and I sat in a seat texting my girlfriend. A Black family was standing near me. All of a sudden, two Black girls who were very loud and vulgar stood next to us and started making more noise and commotion than all of us combined. The Black family and I walked away and shook our heads, knowing that these 2 Black girls were hurting our image.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times
I grew up in San Francisco during the 60's and 70's and learned at an early age to be careful. Sf was much more dangerous back than. I witnessed brutal beatings on public transportation, in a movie theater as well as on the street. I learned to be careful whenever I found myself in a situation where I was outnumbered by black teenage boys. When I was young I had to go to Kaiser hospital on Geary Blvd. twice a week. The % of African Americans living in SF was much higher then and the #38 bus was usually filled with Black kids returning home after school. A few of the beatings I witnessed were shocking. An elderly woman was stomped seemingly half to death when her purse got tangled around her arm. It was also around the late 60's when MUNI drivers stopped providing change for passengers because too many drivers were getting robbed.

With regards to the video of the beating in Seattle: I never would have stopped walking or allowed the assailant to have gotten so close. Unfortunately, those who didn't grow up in an major urban environment often lack the awareness or "street smarts" to avoid such encounters.

As is often the case the assailant was looking for an easy target.

Last edited by john3232; 08-10-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'm 35 years old. I think there are many young Black men who are complete trash. I also understand that the majority of young Black men are NOT trash. The thing is, the criminal underclass elements scream the loudest and have no shame about doing bad stuff.

This is the thing with me. I know that there are many young Black men who are trash. I don't find it easy to talk about it. Black people are already the most looked down on group in America. We've been looked down on from day one. When you're already looked down, well, it segues into this.

Why would I want to talk about any of this with someone who has anti-Black attitudes. Said persons have already made their choice to be hateful and anti-Black. I don't care why said persons are anti-Black. You might say it could come from experience. My own experiences have involved running into some anti-Black individuals who were from places were very few Blacks lived. Some of it could come from experience. Some of it is just plain old bigotry.

I had the displeasure of dealing with someone who felt the need to vent their own anti-Black attitudes at me. Said person talking about how he was "sick of Black people" and "majority of Black people are ghetto" and blamed it on then-President Obama. Now, I'm far from ghetto. I've been described as nerdy. This guy felt the need to lash out to me. Let's just say I never spoke to him again. Anyone coming at me with anti-Black animus, I don't think said person should be part of the conversation. All said person brings to the table is rage, arrogance, and hate.

I know there are plenty of people who don't hate Black people. When it comes to this discussion about crime in the Black people, the loudest voices are the ones with the most anger and disdain towards Blacks. When those are the loudest voices, more time will be spent trying to shout them down. More time will be spent trying to prove to hateful individuals how wrong they are. Less time is spent on actually talking about solutions. More time is spent dealing with racial tensions and animus.

I'm doing what I can to be a productive member of society. Sadly, people remember thugs and hood rats more. People like us get lost in this.
I never quite got caught up in the “blacks are the most hated group” kind of thing.

Jews are considered a well to do and entrepreneurial and they're quite hated as a group.

Arab Muslims also don’t have the best reputation in America either.

But one thing I can say is, yes, these people who have the most anti black attitudes usually don’t live around blacks (a good share don’t, or have don’t daily interactions with black people) they just take a negative interactions with blacks unfortunately judge an entire group by those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies