Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 09:38 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times

Advertisements

People who advocate for the legality of abortion are not suggesting that abortion is the answer in every case of an unwanted pregnancy. They believe it should be one of the choices. A woman who has an unwanted pregnancy can choose to have the resulting baby and put it up for adoption if that makes sense for her in her particular circumstances. "Pro choice" is exactly that. There are women who support choice that would not have an abortion themselves, but recognize their choice is exactly that - their choice for themselves, not for all women.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:39 PM

219 posts, read 161,452 times
OP, your title is an odd way of looking at things.

The only thing I want is for a pregnant woman to choose for herself and not be forced into any choice. Freely abort, have and keep, have and adopt out, whatever she thinks is best. And I back that up with who I vote for and where I donate my money.

I think a lot of people don't consider the reality that adoption isn't a happy ever after ending, it's just an ending to one chapter and the start of another.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:42 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
So far, we have one reply of extreme birth defects and death, with no indication of how many pregnancies actually result in such extreme circumstances. One reply that the women (btw, where's the man, who is equally responsible for the pregnancy?) don't want the problems of pregnancy, though they don't do what it takes to avoid them - in other words, irresponsibility. And one reply (from the earlier thread) mentioning spina bifida, which the Mayo Clinic says affects 0.06% of the population. And one bizarre excuse saying the unborn baby isn't a baby.

Anyone else? The thread is young.

You abortion advocates who want pregnant women to kill their unborn babies rather than give birth and offer them up for adoption (or other such plan), please tell us your reasons why.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:43 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
Well for one thing who wants unnecessary stretch marks? I mean really.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:46 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I am not an abortion advocate. Very few people are. Because it is certainly none of my business what a woman does with her unwanted pregnancy, who I might not even know. But what if I know her, and I am the father of the baby the woman wants to abort, but I want? Interesting how I never see any threads about what rights, if any, a father should have to his unborn child the woman wants to abort.
Agree with the first bolded.

As for the second, I'd guess this is a very rare scenario.

A much more common one is the father encouraging or even pressuring the woman to have an abortion. And/or he simply walks away and refuses to take any kind of responsibility for the child he created.

But, to respond to the the scenario you present, I think a biological father DOES have rights if he wants the baby brought to term/wants to keep it. And I say this as a left-leaning woman who considers herself a feminist and who's ultimately but barely, is pro-choice.

What that would look like in practical terms, I have no idea. But, then again, I think it's an extremely rare possibility.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:48 PM

219 posts, read 161,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
You abortion advocates who want pregnant women to kill their unborn babies rather than give birth and offer them up for adoption (or other such plan), please tell us your reasons why.
While I guess the problem is you aren't being responded to by abortion advocates who want pregnant women to kill their unborn babies rather then give them up for adoption. The problem may be there is no such thing or maybe they just don't post in City-Data.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:48 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
You forgot, as a fully realized born person a woman thinks for herself. Lives her life on her terms. Her status as such trumps all else. A woman like a man can make her own private medical decision. Mind your sperm. Women will mind our uterus.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:52 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What are the reasons abortion advocates want pregnant women who don't want their babies, to kill their unborn babies, when alternative plans such as offering the child up for adoption are available? What have you found to justify such deliberate killing?

I suggested in another thread (an odd one suggesting "compromise for abortion") that many of them do it for reasons of either convenience or irresponsibility. Predictably, I was called names and told my ideas were "disgusting". And then that thread got closed.

So, you abortion advocates who want pregnant women to kill their unborn babies rather than give birth and offer them up for adoption (or other such plan), please tell us your reasons.

------------------------------

(Mods: If this violates whatever caused that other thread to be closed, please just delete this one, OK?)
There are already hundreds of thousand of kids in our country waiting to be adopted. Many never are. Why don't we take care of them first instead of adding more kids to the system.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,610 times
1. adoption is trauma
2. pregnancy is difficult
3. pregnant women get discriminated against
4. giving birth is very expensive. I had a quick labor for my second kid, had no IV, no drugs, stayed the minimum time and the bill was still THOUSANDS of dollars.
5. my kids are 11 and 13 and I still have effects lingering from those pregnancies and births, which were both uncomplicated.
6. this country has no business forcing a woman to give birth when our pregnancy and maternity leave benefits are so awful.
7. women should be able to decide if they want to move forward with such a life-altering situation.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If they know this then they should be practicing responsible sex. In most cases, abortion is nothing more than a quick fix for irresponsible behavior and poor choices.
Are you suggesting we criminalize practicing irresponsible sex?

What does it matter if a woman practiced irresponsible sex? There is still a pregnancy to be dealt with.

The law still allows her to have an abortion.

The law could never be constructed to consider irresponsible sex as a barrier to abortion. You would never be able to prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies