Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 07:01 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
you should disabuse yourself of the idea that the current illegals here are ever going to get deported is a pipe dream. Will not ever happen
are you kidding? The next GOP president is going to raid all sorts of businesses employing illegals and mass deport. If the GOP has all three branches there will be plenty of new laws facilitating that deportation.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:17 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
are you kidding? The next GOP president is going to raid all sorts of businesses employing illegals and mass deport. If the GOP has all three branches there will be plenty of new laws facilitating that deportation.
I sure hope you're right but of course the Democrats will fight them all they just as they did with Trump who tried to do something about this invasion. They will continue to fight against finishing the wall to.

Anyone claiming that illegal immigration has nothing to do with the topic at hand is lying to themselves.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:06 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
That’s really funny. Won’t happen.

So - will they go after the Irish immigrants? Any of the “white” immigrants who are here illegally? I knew many of them years ago.

And as for language - if you go back 100 years ago - in my home state there was A LOT of German spoken. My great grandmother in particular. She was born here…..but many weren’t.

Still a lot of the Scandinavian languages there as well.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:11 AM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
There are too many rinos in the party and most of them don't have the stomach to deport people. They should, if you're here illegally you should be deported.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Most of the world already speaks English. Why would the the United States move away from English?

Old 03-07-2022, 09:21 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Anyone claiming that illegal immigration has nothing to do with the topic at hand is lying to themselves.
I don't know that anyone is making that claim. The only claim that I'm making is that it doesn't matter how much Spanish is spoken. It DOES matter if we are letting illegal immigrants in like the Titanic was taking on water just before it sank. The illegal immigration needs to be stopped. The speaking of Spanish does not or should not because, number one, it will work itself out naturally, and number two, the language one chooses to speak falls under constitutional protection.

I do not believe that if illegal immigration is stopped (which it certainly should be) that Spanish will suddenly disappear from the US. There are bilingual Spanish speakers around my area whose great grandparents immigrated. Yet Spanish is still spoken in their families. There is a quite large Hispanic population here and most of them are bi-lingual. They switch back and forth regularly, sometimes even mixing the two languages.

Editor's note: the above is written under the assumption that if you are a resident or citizen of the US, you need to be able to speak English... but which language you choose as your primary language is your choice because this IS a free (as in individual liberty) country. Or at least it should be.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:28 AM

27,573 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I do not believe that if illegal immigration is stopped (which it certainly should be) that Spanish will suddenly disappear from the US.
If illegal immigration is stopped, then Spanish will decline dramatically in the United States in a matter of years.

Eventually, it will have as little impact on society as German or Italian does today. What language people prefer to speak in their homes is nobody's concern.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If illegal immigration is stopped, then Spanish will decline dramatically in the United States in a matter of years.

Eventually, it will have as little impact on society as German or Italian does today. What language people prefer to speak in their homes is nobody's concern.

Yes, it would decline but we'd also have to start deporting those here illegally to. I have often said myself that what language one prefers to speak in their homes is their business so no need to reiterate that.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:01 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There are too many rinos in the party and most of them don't have the stomach to deport people. They should, if you're here illegally you should be deported.
They are getting picked off one by one in the primaries. I personally do not think McConnell will survive the leadership vote after November's elections. Lindsay Graham may even lose his seat in the near future

Old 03-07-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't know that anyone is making that claim. The only claim that I'm making is that it doesn't matter how much Spanish is spoken. It DOES matter if we are letting illegal immigrants in like the Titanic was taking on water just before it sank. The illegal immigration needs to be stopped. The speaking of Spanish does not or should not because, number one, it will work itself out naturally, and number two, the language one chooses to speak falls under constitutional protection.

I do not believe that if illegal immigration is stopped (which it certainly should be) that Spanish will suddenly disappear from the US. There are bilingual Spanish speakers around my area whose great grandparents immigrated. Yet Spanish is still spoken in their families. There is a quite large Hispanic population here and most of them are bi-lingual. They switch back and forth regularly, sometimes even mixing the two languages.

Editor's note: the above is written under the assumption that if you are a resident or citizen of the US, you need to be able to speak English... but which language you choose as your primary language is your choice because this IS a free (as in individual liberty) country. Or at least it should be.
Read some of the posts in here and you will see that there are some making that claim. I even got attacked for dare mentioning illegal immigration under this topic when they are totally related.

I have never said that there should be a law prohibiting anyone from speaking a foreign language. The whole point was that we are hearing more and more Spanish via illegal immigration and if allowed to continue it just might replace English as our national language which in turn would force native English speakers to have to learn Spanish to get by in their own country. If one wants to learn Spanish that's their proagative but we shouldn't be forced to learn it in the U.S simply because of massive illegal immigration. Our culture will continue to change with continued illegal immigration to. Why would any country embrace that? It's neither natural or lawful.

We are already linquistically accomodating these mono-lingual Spanish speakers in every way many if not most are here illegally. WTH? Yes, most Hispanic citizens are bi-lingual so there is no need to pander to them in Spanish or for us to learn Spanish to communicate with them but the continued influx of illegal aliens who only speak Spanish it is a whole different ball of wax.

I don't know how to make this issue any plainer but for some strange reason the denials in here continue. I have to wonder if this is what some posters want. Maybe they are Spanish speakers themselves and want this invasion to continue????

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-07-2022 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies