Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2021, 06:11 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,921,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You haven't been paying attention.

The vaccine was never intended to grant the travel bugs their freedom.

The vaccine was to save your effing life...

But for some people if they can’t travel they'd rather die I guess.
So let’s stay put and quit living for the rest of our lives…. The covid and delta has already lowered the numbers way down in my state and except for two major Democratic ran cities, we remained open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Lotta judgement in this thread, and a lot of dancing on graves.

All of you who are perfect, please raise your hand.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
No its not just politics some have genuine fear due to silly conspiracy theories or ignorance.
Or.....some of us have looked at the risk/reward and feel much of this is sensationalized propaganda. Why people always have to name call and insist it's conspiracy theories or ignorance is simply beyond me at this point. I find most people that have to resort to that are close minded and intellectually rigid themselves. Most people I know that are unvaxed are well versed on the numbers and the risk levels.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:28 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Or.....some of us have looked at the risk/reward and feel much of this is sensationalized propaganda. Why people always have to name call and insist it's conspiracy theories or ignorance is simply beyond me at this point. I find most people that have to resort to that are close minded and intellectually rigid themselves.
Thats because the arguments we are referring to ARE conspiracy theories or based upon ignorance.

"Let us not forget that Japanese scientist have found a plethora of unidentifiable medals and nano particles inside this vaccine. Including nano particles that seem to move on their own. Creepy stuff. People have no idea what you’re injecting into yourself."

Thats not an argument from ignorance? Claiming theres RFID chips in the vax isnt conspiracy theory?
So whats your argument against it? If youre claiming intellectual superiority that would be helpful to know.
Is it as you imply risk vs reward? If so your data basis is very flawed in the face of so many deaths. How many have died from the vax?
You call this propaganda. Why? That suggests belief in a conspiracy theory. Why would health authorities spread propaganda? Is it an evil plot to save lives? Or do you think Bill Gates is trying to kill a billion people to save the planet? Or is it democrats trying to take away freedoms?
Outside of using covid to increase mail in ballots, which they did, thats silly. It doesnt mean the vax is unsafe just that dems are shady.

Last edited by phinneas j. whoopee; 09-28-2021 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2021, 06:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Lotta judgement in this thread, and a lot of dancing on graves.

All of you who are perfect, please raise your hand.
This is projection as usual. People are talking about the effectiveness of the jab. Look around the rest of this sub and you'll see what real grave dancing looks like (like the sorryantivaxer stuff).

Old 09-28-2021, 06:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
That is exactly what we were told.
Listening to politicians was your first mistake.

I don't even know exactly what they said because it's not like I'm going to take it to heart anyway. Do your own research and make decisions for you.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Thats because the arguments we are referring to ARE conspiracy theories or based upon ignorance.

"Let us not forget that Japanese scientist have found a plethora of unidentifiable medals and nano particles inside this vaccine. Including nano particles that seem to move on their own. Creepy stuff. People have no idea what you’re injecting into yourself."

Thats not an argument from ignorance? Claiming theres RFID chips in the vax isnt conspiracy theory?
So whats your argument against it? If youre claiming intellectual superiority that would be helpful to know.
You can cherry pick arguments like the one you posted all you want, but that doesn't mean you get to use a broad brush to paint anyone that is chosing not to be vaccinated. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm dealing with statistically insignificant numbers, it doesn't matter to me if one side is better because they're both insignificant.

So where should we start on the propoganda and fear mongering?

1). How about Nate Silver's comment when the media was trying to scare people to death screaming about cases (which I couldn't agree more with)?

Not providing context on the increase in testing is such a basic error, and has been so widespread, that it's revealing about the media's goals. It's more interested in telling plausibly-true stories ("narratives") that sound smart to its audience

2). How about the fact that there are only 3 ICUs beds for every 10,000 people in this country? In addition to that, ICUs are absolutely not being overrun with Covid patients. The fact of the matter is prior to the pandemic, ICUs typically ran at roughly a 65% occupancy level (obviously all non-covid patients). That ratio has not changed in regards to non-covid patients (on average ICUs have 35% of it's patients with Covid...that's not exactly being overrun).

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/hos...on-7-day-trend

And yet, we're all supposed to scream the sky is falling every times the ICUs approach 100%. I'm sorry....NO! What should have happened a year and a half ago is we should have been increasing capacity and training nurses (in case you weren't aware of it, China built a hospital in 10 days...how many hospitals have we built?). But apparently that's too logical (or perhaps there was another narrative at play).

3). How about the disingenuous narrative that 95% of hospitalized Covid patients are unvaccinated? Yeah, it's not a lie but it certainly reeks of fear mongering. A more honest way to say it to not invoke fear would be that approximately 34% of ICUs have Covid patients that are unvaccinated. So why doesn't the media and politicians use the latter statement? I think the answer is obvious.

4). How about the hogwash of herd immunity? Exactly how does that work with vaccines with a waning efficacy? So you have one person that has 90% efficacy, another that got the vaccine 4 months ago that is down to 50%, and another that got it at the start of the year that has less than a 20% efficacy. The average of those three are clearly not fully vaccinated. There is little likelihood of getting to the figures that Fauci and others have called for as it's completely unrealistic.

As it stands, I have no problem wearing an N95 mask and avoiding crowds when I'm shopping, etc., until the vaccine I'm interested in (Novavax) comes out. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not putting anyone at risk, the likelihood of me contracting Covid is miniscule, and I'm not having to submit to a new technology that has never had widespread use on the public.

Is that good enough for you? And feel free to point out all the conspiracy theories I've used or how ignorant I am for pointing out readily available information from credible sources like John Hopkins.

Last edited by dicipher; 09-28-2021 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Part of that is the unvaxed that died before the vax was available when everyone was unvaxed. I do agree though that Donald Trump's fast tracking of the vaccine saved lives. How many? That we will never know, but undeniably he saved thousands.
So it's hard to understand when the vaccine undeniably saves lives, that some people are afraid to take it.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
At some point, the majority will have to admit that the vaccines aren't the answer.

Grand Rapids couple dies 1 minute apart from COVID-19

Sarah Dunham says her parents Cal and Linda Dunham did everything together. The churchgoing, community-minded outdoor enthusiasts loved their family – especially their grandchildren – and most of all, each other.

The pair were also cautious when it came to COVID-19. They were both fully vaccinated and had been for months when, during a family camping trip this month, they began to feel sick.

“[My dad] called me before our family camping trip and said he wasn’t feeling good but he thinks it’s just like sinus, and [Linda] caught it and she’s like, he gave me his cold,” said Sarah. “The third day they woke me up and said, ‘we’ve got to go because we don’t feel well.’ So I packed them all up and they left.”

Days later, the couple was hospitalized and on ventilators – both had preexisting conditions that made things even more dire. By this past Sunday, doctors were telling Sarah and the family there wasn’t much more they could do, and the couple would likely need to come off life-support Monday.

After being wheeled into the same room, moments later, Cal passed away at 11:07 a.m.

At 11:08 a.m., less than a minute later, Linda passed away as well as the couple held hands in hospital beds beside one another.

They did everything they were told.
Heartbreaking for sure.

And no they didn't do everything they were told.

If you feel sick, get tested, stay home, and now we are being told to get that monoclonal treatment.

REality -- of course we do what we can but there still will be loss of life. This virus is not forgiving for those that are vulnerable.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:30 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
At some point, the majority will have to admit that the vaccines aren't the answer.

Grand Rapids couple dies 1 minute apart from COVID-19

Sarah Dunham says her parents Cal and Linda Dunham did everything together. The churchgoing, community-minded outdoor enthusiasts loved their family – especially their grandchildren – and most of all, each other.

The pair were also cautious when it came to COVID-19. They were both fully vaccinated and had been for months when, during a family camping trip this month, they began to feel sick.

“[My dad] called me before our family camping trip and said he wasn’t feeling good but he thinks it’s just like sinus, and [Linda] caught it and she’s like, he gave me his cold,” said Sarah. “The third day they woke me up and said, ‘we’ve got to go because we don’t feel well.’ So I packed them all up and they left.”

Days later, the couple was hospitalized and on ventilators – both had preexisting conditions that made things even more dire. By this past Sunday, doctors were telling Sarah and the family there wasn’t much more they could do, and the couple would likely need to come off life-support Monday.

After being wheeled into the same room, moments later, Cal passed away at 11:07 a.m.

At 11:08 a.m., less than a minute later, Linda passed away as well as the couple held hands in hospital beds beside one another.

They did everything they were told.
How can completely unconscious people possibly "hold hands" ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies