Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 09:25 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is the Information Age. There are many resources at your disposal to figure out which charities overspend on administration costs vs those that don't. Should we just get rid of charities all together?

But that doesn't really address the point I made in my post.
This. And unlike the government, charities actually have to compete for your donations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 09:26 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Cosmetic surgery is a luxury, making people pay for necessary life saving surgeries the same way would just raise the mortality rate and lower life expectancies. Heart surgery or chemo are not the same as a BMW, if you don't know that, you're being obtuse
And you get catastrophic insurance coverage for those things.

Obamacare forces me to get insurance for an annual checkup. WTF? A catastrophic policy for when I get hit by a bus is what I need. I can afford the out of pocket cost for a checkup or preventative visit or flu shot, I don't need to insert a flipping middle man whose sole profit incentive is to deny as many claims as possible. This is like getting car insurance that covers oil changes.

BTW, the compliance costs for Medicare and insurance are astronomical. Direct primary care providers charge $60/month for unlimited visits. If I went to see the doctor once a month, that's $60 a visit. At Bluecross's contracted rates, the provider bills Bluecross $2,400 for the same number of visits. Medicare has something stupid like 13 codes for a dog bite.

And we wonder why health insurance, and healthcare in general, costs so much.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Because now you are talking about luxury items, not health care. There are different market forces driving up the price of luxury items.

And on that note, when I had my laser eye surgery, I wen to a doctor that charged $6k, knowing that there are doctors out there that charge $2k. My eyes are too important to me to go bargain shopping, so I will only trust them to the person with the best reputation. Same would go for cosmetic surgery if that is something I wanted. I have seen too many botched jobs that have to be fixed by more skilled practitioners.
You're a doctor though, so coming up with $6k is absolutely no problem for you. That can be 6 months pay for a vast amount of people though

Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
You're a doctor though, so coming up with $6k is absolutely no problem for you. That can be 6 months pay for a vast amount of people though
Or, they can just wear glasses.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
This is the Information Age. There are many resources at your disposal to figure out which charities overspend on administration costs vs those that don't. Should we just get rid of charities all together?

But that doesn't really address the point I made in my post.
I stand by the point that most charities are a money laundering tax dodge

Old 10-28-2021, 09:31 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
I stand by the point that most charities are a money laundering tax dodge
That is because you have no idea how the charitable deduction works.

A tax dodge indicates that the person doing the dodging is gaining something financially.

If I give $5000 to a charity, and I save $2500 in taxes, that is STILL $2500 out of my pocket.

So where is the financial gain for me?

Old 10-28-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
That is because you have no idea how the charitable deduction works.

A tax dodge indicates that the person doing the dodging is gaining something financially.

If I give $5000 to a charity, and I save $2500 in taxes, that is STILL $2500 out of my pocket.

So where is the financial gain for me?
It's easy to do, you set up a charity with a relative of yours as the administrator, and give them a high salary, which they don't actually collect themselves, but direct deposit it into a bank account which you own. Viola, money laundered

Old 10-28-2021, 09:33 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
The majority of charity funds go to the salaries of those who administer the funds, less than 30% of the money actually goes to the causes. It's basically money laundering
It's obvious you don't donate to charities. You can check how much actually goes to those in need for each charity, here, and plan your giving accordingly: https://www.charitynavigator.org/

It lists charities that have perfect scores for Financial Health and Accountability and Transparency: https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...view&cpid=2203

Picking one at random, The National Pediatric Cancer Foundation, its spending is broken down to:

The Charity's Programs: 88.1%
Fundraising: 6.6%
Administrative (Salaries and Overhead): 5.3%

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/593097333
National Pediatric Cancer Foundation

88.1% is a far cry from your alleged "less than 30%." You're shockingly out of touch with reality.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's obvious you don't donate to charities. You can check how much actually goes to those in need for each charity, here, and plan your giving accordingly: https://www.charitynavigator.org/

It lists charities that have perfect scores for Financial Health and Accountability and Transparency: https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...view&cpid=2203

Picking one at random, The National Pediatric Cancer Foundation, its spending is broken down to:

The Charity's Programs: 88.1%
Fundraising: 6.6%
Administrative (Salaries and Overhead): 5.3%

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/593097333
National Pediatric Cancer Foundation

88.1% is a far cry from your alleged "less than 30%." You're shockingly out of touch with reality.
There are a lot of charities that have a less than 30% figure

Old 10-28-2021, 09:44 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
I bet I earn more than you do, so if anything, I should be the one asking that question of you, but I don't, because I believe in redistribution

The you/me part of the question was rhetorical.

What make anyone "deserving" of receiving money taken from someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies