Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 01:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Imagine the benefit to the economy if everyone currently crushed under medical debt could suddenly start spending and investing that money.
most debt, is NOT medical, its credit, from people spending (on credit) more than they should or need to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The problem with UBI when it comes to paying for Healthcare or education is you still have to deal with a regressive pricing structure (i.e. the same nominal dollar amount, which is regressive, because it's a higher percentage of a persons income the less they make)

not really

1. the poor are already completely taken care of (Medicaid and Pell)...so we are talking middleclass here on these costs

2. well let's look at a example...
I work, have a wife, 4 kids and my oldest daughter turned 19 back in January, and is in her 1st year of college, and even though I make 70k/yr...……..
UBI would be an extra 3k/month (3 people over 18 in the household)……….

that's 1k for my daughter PER MONTH for college (local CC is offering 500 per semester)
that's 1k for daycare/school activities/wife's student loan PER MONTH
and 1k more for a health insurance Cadillac plan so that takes care of my family premium

imagine that...UBI out does bernies/beth/Harris's plans of M4A/free college/free daycare/student loan payoff

Old 11-01-2021, 01:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
not really

1. the poor are already completely taken care of (Medicaid and Pell)...so we are talking middleclass here on these costs

I work, have a wife, 4 kids and my oldest daughter turned 19 back in January, and is in her 1st year of college, and even though I make 70k/yr...……..

that's 1k for my daughter PER MONTH for college (local CC is offering 500 per semester)
and 1k more for a health insurance Cadillac plan so that takes care of my family premium

imagine that...UBI out does bernies/beth/Harris's plans of M4A/free college/free daycare/student loan payoff
Medicaid only covers the poorest of the poor, the working class generally don't get medicaid

Old 11-01-2021, 01:39 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, it's not good for them or society to have all of the wealth in the hands of a few. I will feel better if Bezos and Gates wealth is broken up. I don't want or need anything from doing this but I want a balanced budget.

Then get off your ass and do something productive to change your wealth status. Demanding other successful people like Bezos and Gates give up everything they own because you're in your feelings about how much they're worth, is your own problem and no one else's.

Invent something. Start a business. Talk to a financial advisor on where to invest your money so it can grow and give you a great return. Sitting here like a toddler screaming "BUT IT'S NOT FAIR!!" isn't going to magically fix everything.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Then get off your ass and do something productive to change your wealth status. Demanding other successful people like Bezos and Gates give up everything they own because you're in your feelings about how much they're worth, is your own problem and no one else's.

Invent something. Start a business. Talk to a financial advisor on where to invest your money so it can grow and give you a great return. Sitting here like a toddler screaming "BUT IT'S NOT FAIR!!" isn't going to magically fix everything.
Actually, it is societies problem

Old 11-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Medicaid only covers the poorest of the poor, the working class generally don't get medicaid

uhm that is what I said

1. the poor (and working poor up to about 20k) are already completely taken care of (Medicaid and Pell)...so we are talking middleclass here on these costs

70k is lowermiddle middle class (ie working class) especially the service sector (mechanics...average mechanic is making $25+/hr which is 52k)

imagine that...UBI out does bernies/beth/Harris's plans of M4A/free college/free daycare/student loan payoff...or your singlepayer and "subsidized college"

Old 11-01-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Because you can't get blood from a stone?.....

Raising taxes isn't the solution for all of our problems. If you want to pay more then by all means, **** your money away.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
A lot of them are immoral or even evil

That's your own emotional and ignorant opinion lumping them all into one category.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Well, It is working that way lately, as housing prices and rents are growing, because nobody wants to build new housing, and it's transferring more and more money from the have nots to the haves. The housing market in most of the country has effectively become zero sum

Umm what? Housing prices began to increase when the pandemic put a dent in the market. Then the price for homes increased even more due to inflation thanks to President Potato. Rent is increasing because of how long we entertained extended the eviction protection policy due to COVID, as well as inflation. The price of lumber is the highest its been in years due to inflation, and the supply chain shortage is making it go up even more. Same goes for every other material used to build homes.

It's really not hard to understand that and yet Liberals like you keep pathetically pointing the finger at everything else BUT the root cause of the issue!

Old 11-01-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
No one is condoning theft though, only selfish a-holes think that taxes are theft

The selfish a-hole is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies