Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2021, 02:59 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Stupid argument. There is nothing wrong with technological displacement of human workers. The problem is the lack of planning ahead that is typical in America. The point of technology should be so it can enable people to have other pursuits, more time for friends and family and to take care of health.

The work week or day should be shortened without taking a away from wages.
I think there is, I like what I do, have been doing it for years, and pays me good money. I don't want to have to go back to the drawing board and lose everything I worked so hard for and start over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 03:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think there is, I like what I do, have been doing it for years, and pays me good money. I don't want to have to go back to the drawing board and lose everything I worked so hard for and start over
I suspect if you have had to work to get to a certain level -- you are not likely going to be replaced in the near future.

The types of jobs being automated are not ones where years of experience and skill are necessary.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:35 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,056,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why not just admit that such a business model doesn't exist?

Outside of government anyways.

Because government is the only employer that can sustain it's existence while paying it's employees more than the value of their labor.

With your taxes BTW.

Such a business model doesn't exist, because the fair market value of anything is the price that it will bear. It would be literally impossible to pay someone more than than the market value of their labor, because as soon as you do, that is the market value.

High-skill government workers are paid less than the prevailing rate, low-skill government workers probably a little more. It balances out. Jamie Dimon isn't worth $20 million a year to anyone, but its what he gets paid

Old 10-27-2021, 04:52 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
The rich might yank their heads out of their asses when they see the guillotenes and the pitchforks sharpening.

History shows that when inequality goes too far violent events happen.

This is why FDR is by far the greatest president. By improving the safety net and providing jobs when the private sector failed he prevented a descent into communism or fascism like other countries did at that time.
ARe you making threats of violence? Merrick Garland might want to know about that. Or maybe he just cares about parents griping at school board meetings?

Old 10-27-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
A majority of the populace disagree with you on the bolded
I don't disagree. Prove your point.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
That's not true. Several countries offer single payer healthcare and subsidized college, and their citizenry aren't lazy
And in those countries you think are so great, EVERYONE PAYS INCOME TAXES. Not just rich people.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
A woman in town, who I know personally, is getting $$, food, Healthcare, transportation, rent, etc. from every state and government agency. She is "on disability" for what I do not understand. She shops for hours and buys cartloads of clothes and food thanks to you and I. On top of everything, she is a hoarder and master manipulator. Another young woman, who is doing community service due to drugs, had children taken away from her, and is on every available program also. Guess what? She's pregnant again and I doubt if she is 30. It is a way of life for many and a burden on the taxpayer. The Democraps continue to fund more and more programs so the dependency on the government grows and allowing illegal aliens to come into the country, given food, shelter and benefits, adds to their census numbers and therefore more representatives.
My sister in law told me she would love to go take some exercise classes but her neighbors would rat her out and she could no longer get her disability.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
That's a lovely sentiment. Feel free to give poor people some of your own money to help them with their needs. But stay the hell away from my wallet.
I am staying away from your wallet. I'm calling for taxing the wealth of the ultra-rich. No one on this forum would be impacted. There are six individual people who have more wealth than half the world's population combined. An example, Elon Musk could personally eliminate all medical debt for everyone in the US and still be one of the 10 wealthiest people in the world. We're talking about taxation for people at that level. Imagine the benefit to the economy if everyone currently crushed under medical debt could suddenly start spending and investing that money.

Last edited by Lekrii; 10-27-2021 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 09:12 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Just when do liberals say: “the government can’t spend my money better than I can spend it myself.”

Old 10-27-2021, 10:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 650,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I am staying away from your wallet. I'm calling for taxing the wealth of the ultra-rich. No one on this forum would be impacted. There are six individual people who have more wealth than half the world's population combined. An example, Elon Musk could personally eliminate all medical debt for everyone in the US and still be one of the 10 wealthiest people in the world. We're talking about taxation for people at that level. Imagine the benefit to the economy if everyone currently crushed under medical debt could suddenly start spending and investing that money.
But you do know that wealth is not the same as income, right? Elon Musk is estimated at $250 bils does not mean he has literally that much in cash. I doubt that any of the billionaires have literally billions in cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies