Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2021, 08:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No one should work more than 40 hours/week at any job in the US to pay for food, clothing, housing, education, health care, child care and transportation. Anything less than that is a substandard wage.
That is the mindset that keeps people poor. My wife and I work over 50 hours a week. We spend our vacations taking continuing education to stay current for our jobs. If you want to earn more, you must provide more value to your employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 08:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why should any American citizen pay a higher, or lower percentage of their income in taxes than any other American citizen?

exactly...

aren't the democrats supposed to be the party of equality and anti-discrimination??

but when it comes to takes they are the biggest discriminators...

take everyone at the same level...be it 10%, 15%, or 20%

or even better yet... eliminate the income, corporate, and estate taxes, and just tax consumption

Old 10-27-2021, 09:00 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
exactly...

aren't the democrats supposed to be the party of equality and anti-discrimination??

but when it comes to takes they are the biggest discriminators...

take everyone at the same level...be it 10%, 15%, or 20%

or even better yet... eliminate the income, corporate, and estate taxes, and just tax consumption

Yet NOBODY from the left would EVER champion a flat tax on income with zero deductions.

Ron and Rand Paul mentioned this and the left deemed them both kooks for doing so. Boggles the mind, as this is truly the only fair way to tax people.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
No one should work more than 40 hours/week at any job in the US to pay for food, clothing, housing, education, health care, child care and transportation. Anything less than that is a substandard wage.
and what if I enjoy working 50-55 hrs???

so you are saying that me making $44 per hour, yet since I CHOOSE to work 50+ hours (because I ENJOY IT) that , that is a substandard wage...

mighty broad brush you are painting with

Old 10-27-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Yet NOBODY from the left would EVER champion a flat tax on income with zero deductions.

Ron and Rand Paul mentioned this and the left deemed them both kooks for doing so. Boggles the mind, as this is truly the only fair way to tax people.
I would rather see a consumption tax... a tax on spending

www.fairtax.org

Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
We don't though. We don't even guarantee health care for our citizens, less other basic needs. People should not struggle to have a place to live, food to eat, get healthcare, or get educated.
That's a lovely sentiment. Feel free to give poor people some of your own money to help them with their needs. But stay the hell away from my wallet.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
We spend too much money on 'programs' that don't actually help.

You don't get people out of poverty by subsidizing people's poverty. Not to mention, a given segment of the population will always be in poverty no matter how much money is thrown into welfare, which is an outcome of capitalism.
.... and the majority of the funding for those "programs" is used to enrich bureacrats and those administering the program which is usually campaign donors.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:28 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
.... and the majority of the funding for those "programs" is used to enrich bureacrats and those administering the program which is usually campaign donors.
Yep. The big banks make a HUGE amount of money on fees for processing and administering EBT cards (food stamps and other welfare benefits).

Old 10-27-2021, 09:50 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
As you know, Democrats want to raise taxes on the rich. And many of those who support that are rich themselves. Pelosi, Schumer, Obama, all very wealthy. People like Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos are Democrats. Because, believe it or not, not everyone just votes their own narrow self-interest. There are responsible Americans who want to do their part, even if it costs them a little more.

I myself am not rich, but comfortably upper-middle class, and I don’t begrudge paying a higher rate in taxes, as long as it goes to help the less fortunate or the country in general.
That's the problem. Big government doesn't usually help less fortunate people. It enslaves them.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:51 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
And why shouldn't they be able to? Six individual men have more wealth than half the world's population. We have the money for people to work ANY job and not struggle. We just don't tax the ultra-wealthy, for some reason. I'm not sure you understand just how wealthy some people are. Elon Musk could end world hunger with 2% of his wealth, and he'd still be one of the wealthiest people in the world. Again, we have the money, it's just overly concentrated in a few people.

We're not asking to tax the business owner who is doing well. We're asking to tax the "creating a new space program is my quirky hobby" level of wealthy.
29 of the 30 most innovative companies are in the US and one is Europe. Why do you think that might be?

Last edited by Grlzrl; 10-27-2021 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies