Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 04:07 AM

25,721 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
But, but, but Brandon keeps assuring us that this HUGE inflation is only temporary, AND whispers that all the freebies like childcare, loan forgiveness, etc., in his Build Back Better plan "won't cost you a thing..." Say WHAT?????? Either he HAS NO CLUE, or he's a lying idiot.
"I'll take lying idiot for a Thousand Alex"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 04:16 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,186,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I went to the 99 Cent store this morning. Because Trader Joes and Whole foods have gotten too expensive and stopped carrying many items I liked.

Here's what I found. Strawberries went from $1 to $2.49 - a 150% increase, not 6.4%. Most fresh second grade vegetables went from $1 to $1.49, a 50% increase. Portabella mushrooms went from a package of 2 for $1 to ONE for $1.49, a 150% increase, accounting for the shrinkflation. Other vegetables were holding at .99 still. Onions, tomatoes, squash.

The canned shelves were taking a beating, empty spots, one row of cans. Long term items like canned hams, are, gone. Can't find spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I hear Dollar Tree has done a blanket increase from .99 to $1.24 - a 24% increase, not 6.4%.

I was at a chain market last week, milk went from $2.59 to $2.99. What's that, about a 20% increase? Eggs from .99 to $1.79 for the cheapest dozen, over a 75% increase.

Yes, I know I'm taking select items. But it doesn't change the fact that as usual the government is fudging the numbers and lying to us.

Just like with the unemployment rate, 4.6% is a lie. More like 25%. Maybe it's where I live (lot of retired folk) but it seems hardly anybody is working, except those with cushy govt jobs. Most are doing gig work, or on the dole, or selling dope or catalytic converters...

Let's compare notes. What's happening where you are?

Should the government enact price controls like in the 70's? If not now, when?
Try Aldi. They don’t gouge. TJ’s and Whole Paycheck are way overpriced from the gitgo, as are Earth Fare and Fresh Market. Those are niche stores that have to raise the price of staples to be able to afford to stock the top tier stuff that moves slowly.

Inflation is happening because the Fed won’t raise the interest rates. Biden doesn’t control the Fed except peripherally, and does not set policy for them.

Old 12-17-2021, 04:21 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Op was at a 99 cent store.

Can anyone here read?

Old 12-17-2021, 04:24 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Out here in Phoenix crappy jobs have gone up in wages maybe a buck or two.

Good luck living on that. No point in even having a job for about half of society. Cost me $100 to fill my mini van gas tank.

Old 12-17-2021, 04:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I went to the 99 Cent store this morning. Because Trader Joes and Whole foods have gotten too expensive and stopped carrying many items I liked.

Here's what I found. Strawberries went from $1 to $2.49 - a 150% increase, not 6.4%. Most fresh second grade vegetables went from $1 to $1.49, a 50% increase. Portabella mushrooms went from a package of 2 for $1 to ONE for $1.49, a 150% increase, accounting for the shrinkflation. Other vegetables were holding at .99 still. Onions, tomatoes, squash.

The canned shelves were taking a beating, empty spots, one row of cans. Long term items like canned hams, are, gone. Can't find spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I hear Dollar Tree has done a blanket increase from .99 to $1.24 - a 24% increase, not 6.4%.

I was at a chain market last week, milk went from $2.59 to $2.99. What's that, about a 20% increase? Eggs from .99 to $1.79 for the cheapest dozen, over a 75% increase.

Yes, I know I'm taking select items. But it doesn't change the fact that as usual the government is fudging the numbers and lying to us.

Just like with the unemployment rate, 4.6% is a lie. More like 25%. Maybe it's where I live (lot of retired folk) but it seems hardly anybody is working, except those with cushy govt jobs. Most are doing gig work, or on the dole, or selling dope or catalytic converters...

Let's compare notes. What's happening where you are?

Should the government enact price controls like in the 70's? If not now, when?
The government lies?

Old 12-17-2021, 04:40 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
I'm the "shopper" in my family and go to various stores getting deals 2-3 times per week. I have not noticed a 50% increase. Certainly some things have gone up, but many have stayed the same. My standard 1/2 gallon of milk is $1 higher. My eggs are the same, my strawberries are the same (I've *never* gotten them anywhere as cheap as $1 and I'd be thrilled at $2.49). Nope, they are still $3.99 a container. My blueberries are the exact price they have been for YEARS, same as all of my vegetables. Toothpaste the same. Salmon is running 50 cents more per pound. The highest price I've found is for rib eye steaks. They have not dipped below $13.99 per pound anywhere and I used to always be able to find them on a store's weekly sale for $6.99 per pound. That has not happened. Only the cuts like T-bone/Porterhouse/New York strip which I don't care for.

Yesterday I did stop in Trader Joe's for some of their holiday stuff and was surprised to see the Chhurpi dog treats $1 lower a pack. Their other stuff seems the same price as in years past.

I guess a lot of this pricing is regional based on items and how hard it is to transport them to you.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 675,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Out here in Phoenix crappy jobs have gone up in wages maybe a buck or two.

Good luck living on that. No point in even having a job for about half of society. Cost me $100 to fill my mini van gas tank.
I always read this kind of stuff and laugh. Rather than take a little, I’ll take zero. Instead of moving or figuring out what I can do to get by/more.
Those people will always be poor and a clear example of why we’re bones.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:45 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,095 times
Phoenix is going to be in LA in a couple of months, this spring Phoenix will be too expensive to live in for anyone making 50 K, or under. Unless they all start sharing rooms. inflation in Phoenix is skyrocketing unless you are middle income, have no kids, good job, educated, lots of home equity, disposable income-America then you won't notice much difference.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:03 AM

25,721 posts, read 12,793,994 times
If gov't imposes price controls, the result will be product shortages because sellers will not participate in a market where they cannot make what they deem as a reasonable profit. They'll just stop selling, the inventory will dry up, & empty shelves will result.

This is precisely what happened in Venezuela when the gov't tried to freeze prices.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:04 AM

25,710 posts, read 18,784,900 times
That's the thing about today's high tech communications and media. Sheep tend to believe it more than they do their own eyes. ANYTHING can be stated and claimed to be the truth on the internet. And to add insult to injury, the left and government want to restrict the content to ONLY lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies