Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 04:10 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

We are in an era of Hyper Inflation, soon to be Stagflation. The Elites don't want you to know that as they want your wealth to erode. There's gets more valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 04:44 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
No one is saying prices aren't higher - the question is how much higher. I try not to rely on feelings, first impressions and anecdotes. I look for data. The data in this case is the Consumer Price Index, which says food prices are up 6.4% since last year at this time. If anyone has DATA to show that is wrong, I'm open to see it. "I went to the store and strawberries were up $1.50 from the last time" is not reliable data.
Everyone's bank balance is the most telling data.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:47 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
At one point last week, I was going to have a sandwich and fries delivered to me via doordash from a popular sandwich chain, not subway. I picked out what I wanted and when I went to check out, the prices were double from what was printed on the menu. There was no delivery fee added. The total for one sandwich and a side of fries was a little over $30. I canceled the order.

Yes, things out there are getting stupid and price-gougey.

I am doing the same, too much hyper-inflation in the price, I am not buying.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:54 AM

464 posts, read 315,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Sorry I forgot we're living in bizarro world.

The vaccine doesn't work against variants. The solution: get another shot
Spending money we don't have caused inflation. The solution: spend even more money we don't have.

OK..I'm with the program now
...Smash and grab robberies. The solution: blame it on the pandemic (says the White House press secretary).

Old 12-19-2021, 06:08 AM

464 posts, read 315,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Americans are about to learn a brutal lesson- that there is nothing more expensive than "free" money.
I'm part of the group that never got ANY free money, though.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:24 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,581,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The Dollar Store will soon be the Five Dollar Store.

I remember in the 80's Carl's JR (Hardee's) introduced the $6 burger making fun of sit-down restaurants charging the unheard of price of $6 for theirs. It cost the typical (for the time) $2. Now that very burger is over $7 but they haven't changed the name to the $15 burger. Weird.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We are in an era of Hyper Inflation, soon to be Stagflation. The Elites don't want you to know that as they want your wealth to erode. There's gets more valuable.
Most accept the definition of hyper- inflation as one where the rate of inflation exceeds 50% for a protracted period of time.

Food inflation is not anywhere near 50%. This does not mean that prices for some foods being sold by some grocers in some places has not been inflated 50%. Milk was $4.99/ gallon this past week at my local CVS. I did not buy.

The price for milk ( same brand) was half the CVS price when one bought 2 gallons at a nearby grocery. I bought 2 and gave 1 away. I live in a highly competitive grocery area and have long viewed grocery shopping as a competitive sport.

Guess Biden could impose a price/ wage freeze by EO, as Nixon did in 1970. Most economists seem to agree that a similar action right now is not advisable.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Beans and rice and in-season produce are still reasonably priced...I won't starve as long as these remain affordable.

Lots of packaged goods/ meats, poultry sure have gone up in price, though.

Yeah, just lower your expectations and you'll be fine. LIKE. IT. NEVER. EVEN. HAPPENED.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Just read that fertiliser price has gone thru the roof,due to natural gas price and Chna banned export of phosphate at one time.farmers are shifting to grow more soybeans than corns to save money on fertiliser.
so expect price of beef,pork,chicken all go up as well.
Look at the Asians,they eat less meat than we do,like 1/4 lb of pork tenderloin is suffice for a stirfry dish with vegetables.
if you buy a whole chicken,yu get more for your bucks,head,feet,intestines,liver,gizzard,neck would make good soup stock

What will the Chinese eat then?

Old 12-19-2021, 06:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It is amazing how deeply divided this country is on EVERYTHING. People who report higher prices are immediately shot down by other posters who scoff at the reports, or say everything is just fine where they are. Can we not agree on anything? Groceries are more expensive this year than they were last year. Anyone who denies this I'd like to know where they shop.
There are very competitive grocery markets in some areas, no different than areas with nearly no competition. Obviously, prices will vary considerably, as they always have.

I am a life long competitive grocery shopper. It’s like a sport with me. We all need a hobby, eh.

I can certainly appreciate how those areas with only a single dominate grocer are paying more than areas with dozens of grocers which has always been true. . I also appreciate that some folk prefer not to turn grocery shopping into a competitive sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies