Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 08:23 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times

Advertisements

Food prices expected to soar, USDA predicts
Quote:
If you think paying $10 for a pound of bacon or $6 for a pound of butter is bad, it's about to get more expensive.

Pretty soon, you'll be paying even more for just about everything when it comes to eating in or dining out, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"All food prices are now predicted to increase," the USDA's Food Prices Outlook for 2022 March report said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 08:32 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I was at the dock today. Got some shrimp. Whole Foods picked up oysters, mussels..other store crab cakes. I'm set for dinner tonight night.

Prices were about the same.

Whole Foods had lobster tails on sale and rib eyes. Surf and turf for Christmas maybe?
This is so tone deaf it's funny. Enjoy your whole food oysters. Lol I don't care but you know you come off as a bit of a sick to those rationing hot dogs to their kids lol you are a true liberal indeed. I bet Pelosididnt notice much change on her Jeni's ice cream either.

As long as you two are happy things are okay.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:42 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,032 times
One trend I have noticed in my local Grocery Stores (Publix) is some products have not moved at all while others are nearly double. It seems all the junk food and processed stuff has jumped up quite a lot but the main stables of fruits, veggies, dairy, and bread have not moved much.

Same with meat as well. Cuts of meat have not changed much but processed meats like bacon and sausage have jumped up considerably.

My take is some of this may be inflation and the store offsetting prices of fresh stuff with the processed stuff (chips etc) but I also have to say there is some price gouging happening as well. There is no reason some items have increased or shrank as much as they have in the past 6 months.

I imagine if you buy a lot of chips, cereals, and processed foods then your bill will be much higher than before but again I am not sure if this is all inflation or if gouging is involved.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:51 AM

3,834 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
One trend I have noticed in my local Grocery Stores (Publix) is some products have not moved at all while others are nearly double. It seems all the junk food and processed stuff has jumped up quite a lot but the main stables of fruits, veggies, dairy, and bread have not moved much.

Same with meat as well. Cuts of meat have not changed much but processed meats like bacon and sausage have jumped up considerably.

My take is some of this may be inflation and the store offsetting prices of fresh stuff with the processed stuff (chips etc) but I also have to say there is some price gouging happening as well. There is no reason some items have increased or shrank as much as they have in the past 6 months.

I imagine if you buy a lot of chips, cereals, and processed foods then your bill will be much higher than before but again I am not sure if this is all inflation or if gouging is involved.
Dairy, fruits and vegetables have all went up, it's not just processed foods. Meat seems to have gone up the most.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Watch the commodities future market.

The Bird flu thing is expected to take a toll.

Conversely, prices for ( non- organic) vegetables/ fruit are not keeping pace with inflation.

I live in a very competitive grocery market area and competitive shopping has been a long time hobby. When we travel, I always check out grocery prices.

It must be a bumper crap year for asparagus, peppers, Florida tomatoes and berries. I have no recollection of prices this low. $0.69/ lb for asparagus has been the norm. ( Necessary to blanch before freezing).

Green Giant frozen steamable vegetables, .79- $1.00.

Oscar Mayer bacon $3.99/ lb has been rotating store to store.

Various brands of frozen pizza are easily available at pre pandemic prices. One local brand of so called premium frozen pizza cut their price by $4-5.

Local CVS has the best prices for milk.

Snagged prime baby back ribs for husband for 4.99/ lb.

This does not mean I have not noticed big increases on some products, especially prepared foods, breads and stuff packaged in cans, including soda, my vice.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:54 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
I wonder if people will start panic buying, driving prices up still further?

I personally started buying more each week starting about six weeks ago as we have a freezer and ample pantry space, but I am only buying what we would use in a year, and I am careful not to buy anything that will go bad before 2024.

P.S. And I call B.S. on those articles that say prices will increase only about 5-6% overall. I have already seen an average of 10-15% increase in food prices, with some things (like eggs) increasing almost 100%. (However, I was told that was due to bird flu.)

Old 04-06-2022, 08:57 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
Try buying a steak at a chain grocery store or at a restaurant. You can't. Now they're getting ready to jack egg prices through the roof with an avian flu scare.
Go to a local butcher shop and things are at least somewhat normal.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:01 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It must be a bumper crap year for asparagus, peppers, Florida tomatoes and berries. I have no recollection of prices this low. $0.69/ lb for asparagus has been the norm. ( Necessary to blanch before freezing).
not here. $1.99/lb on sale is as cheap as it gets for asparagus. nearly all of it coming from peru and mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Try buying a steak at a chain grocery store or at a restaurant. You can't.
sure you can. they just cost one helluva lot more than they did a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Now they're getting ready to jack egg prices through the roof with an avian flu scare.
Go to a local butcher shop and things are at least somewhat normal.
it's way more than a scare. 23 million birds dead since the beginning of the year.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2022/0...d-flu-outbreak

Old 04-06-2022, 09:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Dairy, fruits and vegetables have all went up, it's not just processed foods. Meat seems to have gone up the most.
Interesting. I am seeing prices on fresh ( non- organic) vegetables/ fruits at near record lows, for this time of year, in my area. Assume most of it is coming from Florida and gas for transportation has no impact.

Most dairy is up. Ice cream, not so much.

I rarely eat meat although my husband does.

Processed foods and most meats are way up.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:04 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Green Giant frozen steamable vegetables, .79- $1.00.
From article linked above:

“No food category, the USDA said, decreased in price in 2021. And now the USDA revised its forecast upward for all food categories, including meats, poultry, eggs, dairy products, fats and oils, and more. The only category that the USDA revised downward was fresh vegetables.â€
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies