Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 11:12 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

Seattle area Safeway-
factory large eggs, last week $1.99/doz
factory large eggs, this week @2.19/doz, Easter week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 05:10 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ TMSRetired;
How do you prepare cod?
we always do a light pan fry in a little oil, starting at high heat to brown-crisp the skin and flesh and then turn down to medium heat for a slower cook to the center. Seasoning is whatever aromatic is available, plus scallions, garlic, and ginger thrown in with the fish. If the fish is really thick, I'll cover the skillet and reduce to lower heat and get a little slow steam cook.
Never had cod that was good todd. But i am in FL so no cod down here to catch. Best eating fish is the pink porgy i get 80 miles offshore. Nothing comes close.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:34 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I went to the 99 Cent store this morning. Because Trader Joes and Whole foods have gotten too expensive and stopped carrying many items I liked.

Here's what I found. Strawberries went from $1 to $2.49 - a 150% increase, not 6.4%. Most fresh second grade vegetables went from $1 to $1.49, a 50% increase. Portabella mushrooms went from a package of 2 for $1 to ONE for $1.49, a 150% increase, accounting for the shrinkflation. Other vegetables were holding at .99 still. Onions, tomatoes, squash.

The canned shelves were taking a beating, empty spots, one row of cans. Long term items like canned hams, are, gone. Can't find spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I hear Dollar Tree has done a blanket increase from .99 to $1.24 - a 24% increase, not 6.4%.

I was at a chain market last week, milk went from $2.59 to $2.99. What's that, about a 20% increase? Eggs from .99 to $1.79 for the cheapest dozen, over a 75% increase.

Yes, I know I'm taking select items. But it doesn't change the fact that as usual the government is fudging the numbers and lying to us.

Just like with the unemployment rate, 4.6% is a lie. More like 25%. Maybe it's where I live (lot of retired folk) but it seems hardly anybody is working, except those with cushy govt jobs. Most are doing gig work, or on the dole, or selling dope or catalytic converters...

Let's compare notes. What's happening where you are?

Should the government enact price controls like in the 70's? If not now, when?

As an example:
Items is a dollar store went from $1.00 to $1.25

On top of that..........
A dozen eggs that once cost a $1 in the
dollar store now only contains 8 eggs.
So we are paying 25 cents more for 4 less eggs.
So the price of eggs doubled from 8 cents to 16 cents each.
That's a hefty increase and if this is a barometer of our economy
our money is now only worth half of what it used to be worth and
our government is lying to us.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:36 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Probably true if all you eat is at restaurants, processed and fast food.

I went to Sams Club last week and bought just over $100 worth of chicken wings, thighs etc, pork tenderloin, and beef hamburger, steak and roast. Once divided and put in the freezer, it made 19 meals for two people not including a bit of left overs now and again. That is less than $3 a person for good, healthy, home cooked meals.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:55 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Probably true if all you eat is at restaurants, processed and fast food.

I went to Sams Club last week and bought just over $100 worth of chicken wings, thighs etc, pork tenderloin, and beef hamburger, steak and roast. Once divided and put in the freezer, it made 19 meals for two people not including a bit of left overs now and again. That is less than $3 a person for good, healthy, home cooked meals.
I calculate that to be about 1 small roast, two low grade steaks, a bag of chicken wings, a pork chop and 1 lb of hamburger. You folks eat small meals.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:31 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I bought what I thought was a $7 package of roast beef and it rang up at over $10. They must have missed the price change or won't change them to hope to lure customers to buy and then hope they don't notice. So that was almost 50%.
Eat vegetables, they haven't gone up yet. Bear in mind that canned veggies or even frozen veggies were processed months or even several months earlier so costs won't reflect higher prices yet. But with increased costs of fertilizer and more expensive fuel, they'll be going up too.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:26 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I bought what I thought was a $7 package of roast beef and it rang up at over $10. They must have missed the price change or won't change them to hope to lure customers to buy and then hope they don't notice. So that was almost 50%.
Eat vegetables, they haven't gone up yet. Bear in mind that canned veggies or even frozen veggies were processed months or even several months earlier so costs won't reflect higher prices yet. But with increased costs of fertilizer and more expensive fuel, they'll be going up too.
Guess it was a bad idea to shut down the world economy....

Old 04-15-2022, 07:34 AM

292 posts, read 92,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I went to the 99 Cent store this morning. Because Trader Joes and Whole foods have gotten too expensive and stopped carrying many items I liked.

Here's what I found. Strawberries went from $1 to $2.49 - a 150% increase, not 6.4%. Most fresh second grade vegetables went from $1 to $1.49, a 50% increase. Portabella mushrooms went from a package of 2 for $1 to ONE for $1.49, a 150% increase, accounting for the shrinkflation. Other vegetables were holding at .99 still. Onions, tomatoes, squash.

The canned shelves were taking a beating, empty spots, one row of cans. Long term items like canned hams, are, gone. Can't find spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

I hear Dollar Tree has done a blanket increase from .99 to $1.24 - a 24% increase, not 6.4%.

I was at a chain market last week, milk went from $2.59 to $2.99. What's that, about a 20% increase? Eggs from .99 to $1.79 for the cheapest dozen, over a 75% increase.

Yes, I know I'm taking select items. But it doesn't change the fact that as usual the government is fudging the numbers and lying to us.

Just like with the unemployment rate, 4.6% is a lie. More like 25%. Maybe it's where I live (lot of retired folk) but it seems hardly anybody is working, except those with cushy govt jobs. Most are doing gig work, or on the dole, or selling dope or catalytic converters...

Let's compare notes. What's happening where you are?

Should the government enact price controls like in the 70's? If not now, when?
According to Joe everything is fine.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:34 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
As an example:
Items is a dollar store went from $1.00 to $1.25

On top of that..........
A dozen eggs that once cost a $1 in the
dollar store now only contains 8 eggs.
So we are paying 25 cents more for 4 less eggs.
So the price of eggs doubled from 8 cents to 16 cents each.
That's a hefty increase and if this is a barometer of our economy
our money is now only worth half of what it used to be worth and
our government is lying to us.
You can't use eggs as an example right now. There is a bird flu going around and millions of birds are being destroyed. That is the cause of the increase in egg prices. Not inflation.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Seattle area Safeway-
factory large eggs, last week $1.99/doz
factory large eggs, this week @2.19/doz, Easter week.
Eggs were typically promoted before Easter- 0.39/ dz/ lg in my area.
Not happening this year.

Avian flu a part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies