Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 11:18 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

A week or so ago we had a topic about food prices and were reporting the prices of beef. Inflation is WAY over 6.4 percent or whatever the fake number the government is giving us.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 11:22 AM

4,548 posts, read 2,271,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You can literally do that today. Publix is pretty expensive next to other stores especially if one was running a sale.

Right now, 2.18/lb at walmart using my zipcode.

It's 4.99/lb at the Publix equivalent a mile from where I live.

That is crazy. The old people love Publix! They love the fresh scrubbed faces of the kids that take their groceries to their car. My mother used to shop there exclusively until I did a price comparison for her against Walmart. She too now uses Walmart delivery. It's my personal opinion that Publix are thieves and taking advantage of the seniors.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:22 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
I can still get a loaf of bread for under a dollar, but finding something cheap to put on it is getting hard to do. Even peanut butter and jelly is getting too expensive for me.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:36 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
6.4 is a joke, food is way up.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:41 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
My grocery bill is higher than it used to be but certainly not 50% higher, and I haven't significantly changed what I purchase.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:09 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A week or so ago we had a topic about food prices and were reporting the prices of beef. Inflation is WAY over 6.4 percent or whatever the fake number the government is giving us.
The Consumer Price index is based on a hypothetical basket of goods. So some items that may have gone way up in price might not be included in this basket. Housing is not included, for one.

The CPI in February reported a 7.9% 12-month increase for all items. The government usually reports a CPI for all items minus food and energy. I'm not sure why food and energy are excluded, but that has always been the practice. The most recent number for all items minus food and energy is 6.4%.

But according to the statistics, food has not increased all that much. The price of a pound of hamburger, for example, rose by 5.8% in the past year:

https://www.in2013dollars.com/Uncook...22?amount=5.20

or 15%, depending on the source:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/APU0000703112

Old 04-06-2022, 12:10 PM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times
For me..up 20% overall and I do the bulk of my shopping at Walmart.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The Consumer Price index is based on a hypothetical basket of goods. So some items that may have gone way up in price might not be included in this basket. Housing is not included, for one.

The CPI in February reported a 7.9% 12-month increase for all items. The government usually reports a CPI for all items minus food and energy. I'm not sure why food and energy are excluded, but that has always been the practice. The most recent number for all items minus food and energy is 6.4%.

But according to the statistics, food has not increased all that much. The price of a pound of hamburger, for example, rose by 5.8% in the past year:

https://www.in2013dollars.com/Uncook...22?amount=5.20

or 15%, depending on the source:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/APU0000703112
You cite one single item... Hamburger... And talk "statistics"? Thats absurd. Tell us you dont have portraits of Biden and Harris on your living room wall. The whole concept of statistics throws out subjective, anecdotal observations and looks at large amounts of data to provide big picture views.
This administration is making America bleed, and theyre DOING IT ON PURPOSE. Look around, people are only driving their cars when they absolutely have to, theyre shivering in the cold, theyll be sweltering in the heat, theyre not going out, theyre eating macaroni and cheese because they cant afford anything they did just 2 years ago.
And I have heard a number of my liberal aquaintances say "its a good thing for the planet, its the only way to stop our horrible habit of consumption."
Anyone who says inflation isnt ridiculous is covering for these masterminds of misery. You must think we forgot that the foundation of Bidens platform was to end fossil fuels use, and thats the first of his extremist policies he implemented.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:58 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I haven't seen that yet (this whole thread is anecdotes after all ) but mostly my point was not to try to expect to see the same prices at Publix as Walmart at any time.

Imagine going from Aldi's to Whole Foods (even more extreme) and screaming how prices tripled.

I'm sure I'll be seeing the bird flu impacts at my grocer very soon. It happens.

P.S. Have all these people that discard any information from the federal govt. as "fake" but then turn around and cite it when it supports them. Not saying you, but between that and the anecdotes it gets old.
Thats a rather patronizing and arrogant way to dodge the fact you just got owned making a false claim. DNC propagandists seem to elevate that kind of gaslighting to an art form. Is there a handbook you can share with us, or is this something they train as instinct with electro shock therapy or LSD?

Old 04-06-2022, 01:08 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
I wonder what could have changed in the last 15-16 months to cause all this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies