Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not here. $1.99/lb on sale is as cheap as it gets for asparagus. nearly all of it coming from peru and mexico.

[/url]
I could eat my weight in asparagus. It was always a treat at Easter and ran $3.99/ lb. Even in season, late May, it was over $2/ lb.

Yet I have been seeing asparagus for .69-.99/ lb for the past few months. Huge artichokes for $1 or less. Mangos for $3.99-4.99/ case. ( peal, cut up and freeze for smoothies)

With fuel prices, how is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 09:17 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
remember last year the FED was calling 2% inflation transitory.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:22 AM

4,548 posts, read 2,275,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
One trend I have noticed in my local Grocery Stores (Publix) is some products have not moved at all while others are nearly double. It seems all the junk food and processed stuff has jumped up quite a lot but the main stables of fruits, veggies, dairy, and bread have not moved much.

Same with meat as well. Cuts of meat have not changed much but processed meats like bacon and sausage have jumped up considerably.

My take is some of this may be inflation and the store offsetting prices of fresh stuff with the processed stuff (chips etc) but I also have to say there is some price gouging happening as well. There is no reason some items have increased or shrank as much as they have in the past 6 months.

I imagine if you buy a lot of chips, cereals, and processed foods then your bill will be much higher than before but again I am not sure if this is all inflation or if gouging is involved.

I sometimes stop at Publix to grab one or two things. For my regular shopping, I use Walmart delivery. But as someone who mostly buys fresh produce, I know the prices. For example, at the end of last year, lemons were 50 cents each at Walmart and like 70 cents at Publix. Within the past month, lemons at Publix are nearly $1 each. It's crazy how much Publix charges for things. I now avoid it as much as I can.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
remember last year the FED was calling 2% inflation transitory.
And remember, the Fed/Dems, are the same group that are setting future monetary policy and proposing more bills to spend more in the twisted logic of spending their way out of inflation (while sneaking in massive tax hikes as the cover).

Old 04-06-2022, 09:24 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Let’s go Brandon

Old 04-06-2022, 09:30 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Watch the commodities future market.

The Bird flu thing is expected to take a toll.

Conversely, prices for ( non- organic) vegetables/ fruit are not keeping pace with inflation.

I live in a very competitive grocery market area and competitive shopping has been a long time hobby. When we travel, I always check out grocery prices.

It must be a bumper crap year for asparagus, peppers, Florida tomatoes and berries. I have no recollection of prices this low. $0.69/ lb for asparagus has been the norm. ( Necessary to blanch before freezing).

Green Giant frozen steamable vegetables, .79- $1.00.

Oscar Mayer bacon $3.99/ lb has been rotating store to store.

Various brands of frozen pizza are easily available at pre pandemic prices. One local brand of so called premium frozen pizza cut their price by $4-5.

Local CVS has the best prices for milk.

Snagged prime baby back ribs for husband for 4.99/ lb.

This does not mean I have not noticed big increases on some products, especially prepared foods, breads and stuff packaged in cans, including soda, my vice.

Yes, this is what I am seeing as well. I am located in Florida and you mentioned Florida produce being normal or even a bit lower. If you are also in Florida then it could be we are not seeing the increases as much. Also, Florida grocery prices are always a bit higher than our neighboring states so there could be some profit margin the stores can play with, just speculating.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
One trend I have noticed in my local Grocery Stores (Publix) is some products have not moved at all while others are nearly double. It seems all the junk food and processed stuff has jumped up quite a lot but the main stables of fruits, veggies, dairy, and bread have not moved much.

Same with meat as well. Cuts of meat have not changed much but processed meats like bacon and sausage have jumped up considerably.

My take is some of this may be inflation and the store offsetting prices of fresh stuff with the processed stuff (chips etc) but I also have to say there is some price gouging happening as well. There is no reason some items have increased or shrank as much as they have in the past 6 months.

I imagine if you buy a lot of chips, cereals, and processed foods then your bill will be much higher than before but again I am not sure if this is all inflation or if gouging is involved.
There are no Publix in my area. When in Florida, that and Walmart seem to be the only choices in some areas.
The prices at Publix always were socking to me. I am spoiled living in a highly competitive grocery market area.

Agree on the processed food thing. Boxed cereal is crazy.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:37 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I could eat my weight in asparagus. It was always a treat at Easter and ran $3.99/ lb. Even in season, late May, it was over $2/ lb.

Yet I have been seeing asparagus for .69-.99/ lb for the past few months. Huge artichokes for $1 or less. Mangos for $3.99-4.99/ case. ( peal, cut up and freeze for smoothies)

With fuel prices, how is this possible?
salad days, at least where you live. eggs and milk products were similarly ridiculously cheap, at least until recently.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I sometimes stop at Publix to grab one or two things. For my regular shopping, I use Walmart delivery. But as someone who mostly buys fresh produce, I know the prices. For example, at the end of last year, lemons were 50 cents each at Walmart and like 70 cents at Publix. Within the past month, lemons at Publix are nearly $1 each. It's crazy how much Publix charges for things. I now avoid it as much as I can.
As posted, Publix is not in my area. I do however, frequent it when in Florida, mostly Lee and Collier Cty, and am always shocked by the prices.

My husband love his bacon. It was $8.99/ lb for Publix brand pre-pandemic. About 1/3 of slices were pure fat. Disgusting.

I have no idea why grocery shopping is not more competitive in Florida.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
salad days, at least where you live. eggs and milk products were similarly ridiculously cheap, at least until recently.
Agree on eggs and milk, until recently.

Still not too bad compared to many other areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies