Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 10:17 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
That’s not food “inflation.” Maybe you should look up the profits of some of the larger grocery chains and the brands they carry. This is price gouging, as much as anything. Perfect opportunity to do it - when everyone is worried about inflation.
grocery stores on average in the US only net a 2% profit after expenses and taxes. this is a very low profit margin industry.

https://thegrocerystoreguy.com/what-...rocery-stores/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^agree
Quote:
Now the global supply chain issues are deep enough that unless there is some kind of global effort to resolve issues, we will not see a decline in prices.
But how? in America, it is by political and national consensus for governmental intervention or by private capitalist venture.
In other places, by edict.

Talking ain't getting it done, yet. We still need to get a lot more pain.
and the climate won't change just because we want it.
YIMV

Old 04-07-2022, 01:42 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Again, there are thousands of local economies in the US.

State/ county/ local governments all over the US closed or restricted hours of restaurants. This substantially reduced commercial demand for chicken, fish, beef and pork. To survive, many commercial packers made products available for retail purchase at deep discounts on select weekends. Even deeper discounts were available to those willing and able to commit to volume purchases.

Big box stores also benefitted from discounted wholesale prices.

The global pandemic significantly reduced the demand for oil. Then Saudi and Russia had themselves a price war. When the Saudis should have drastically cut production, it increased production and depressed global prices.

Unemployment in the US peaked at 14.8% at one point in 2020.

Using 2020 as a baseline for anything is unrealistic.
Use 2019 then, I don't care. Prices have not increased by only 8%

Old 04-07-2022, 11:55 PM

8,209 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
remember last year the FED was calling 2% inflation transitory.
Transitory to what? Higher prices?

Old 04-08-2022, 12:00 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Here we go. Nothings “real” unless it’s what you want it to be. Let’s not forget one of the biggest right wing disingenuous horse**** narrative of real unemployment. Couldnt say it enough once the economy started to improve under Obama (that’s right, the country wasn’t this dystopia you all pretended it was in 2016), suddenly the measurement system that has ALWAYS been the universal method to measure it wasn’t real. Of course they’d still compare it to the numbers pre Obama under Bush…even though both numbers were arrived at using the same method.

That’s okay, the right wing has never cared about consistency. That’s why the second Trump took office you never heard the term in right wing media for 4 years.

That’s why approval numbers were “ZOMG FAIK NUZE” until Bidens got low enough to be concrete fact in the rights eye.

That’s also why I 100% guarantee that if the Democrats do manage to pick up or hold their Senate majority this year, that the right will suddenly change from “HEH YOU BULEEV DA POLES!?” to “WTF DA POLES SED WE WIN FRAUD DEY CANT BE RONG”.

Honestly, I’m most impressed “REAL UNEMPLOYMENT” has only made a slight comeback recently. Usually yall reach such a level of lack of shame where I honestly expected “REAL UNEMPLOYMENT” within a couple weeks of Biden taking office.
NEITHER side cares about facts. You're doing exactly what people on the right do.

If something bad happens when your side in charge ignore it, if the other side is in charge rant and rave.

Something good happens and your side is in charge keep talking about it, ignore it if the other side is in charge.

People in this country are so unbelievably brainwashed it's sad.
You keep letting rich corrupt politicians paint you into a box while they laugh all the way to the bank and maintain their power.

Trump is terrible, Biden is terrible.

Republicans are terrible, Democrats are terrible. And they're both getting worse. This country would be far better of if people stopped doing what they're told and literally voted every single incumbant for every single position out of office in every single election.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:40 AM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Here we go. Nothings “real” unless it’s what you want it to be. Let’s not forget one of the biggest right wing disingenuous horse**** narrative of real unemployment. Couldnt say it enough once the economy started to improve under Obama (that’s right, the country wasn’t this dystopia you all pretended it was in 2016), suddenly the measurement system that has ALWAYS been the universal method to measure it wasn’t real. Of course they’d still compare it to the numbers pre Obama under Bush…even though both numbers were arrived at using the same method.

That’s okay, the right wing has never cared about consistency. That’s why the second Trump took office you never heard the term in right wing media for 4 years.

That’s why approval numbers were “ZOMG FAIK NUZE” until Bidens got low enough to be concrete fact in the rights eye.

That’s also why I 100% guarantee that if the Democrats do manage to pick up or hold their Senate majority this year, that the right will suddenly change from “HEH YOU BULEEV DA POLES!?” to “WTF DA POLES SED WE WIN FRAUD DEY CANT BE RONG”.

Honestly, I’m most impressed “REAL UNEMPLOYMENT” has only made a slight comeback recently. Usually yall reach such a level of lack of shame where I honestly expected “REAL UNEMPLOYMENT” within a couple weeks of Biden taking office.

LOL, consistency??? "Fiery but mostly peaceful protests vs armed insurrection attempting to overturn an election...

And there are plenty more examples where that came from, but I get sick of bringing them up every time some lefty proudly puts their hypocrisy on display.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
That’s not food “inflation.” Maybe you should look up the profits of some of the larger grocery chains and the brands they carry. This is price gouging, as much as anything. Perfect opportunity to do it - when everyone is worried about inflation.
We should do away with price gouging laws.
Demand pricing is a wonderful tool to prevent hoarding, promotes toward planning, and allocates risk to those must need it now.
Capitalism is a wonderful thing.
YCMV

Old 04-14-2022, 05:33 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Quote:

Blah, blah, blah. And?

Old 04-14-2022, 07:20 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Cod went from $6.99 to $8.99/lb 2 months ago. Then last Friday it went from $8.99 to $12.99/lb

In the span of 3 months it has almost doubled in price. Friday is my fish day and I always go to a local seafood market so I know the prices very well.

I think they must have flown that cod in a private jet !

I'll see what it is this week.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:07 PM

^ TMSRetired;
How do you prepare cod?
we always do a light pan fry in a little oil, starting at high heat to brown-crisp the skin and flesh and then turn down to medium heat for a slower cook to the center. Seasoning is whatever aromatic is available, plus scallions, garlic, and ginger thrown in with the fish. If the fish is really thick, I'll cover the skillet and reduce to lower heat and get a little slow steam cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies