Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 03:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The pattern of blue vs red is really not that evident. There are plenty of red states in the bottom tier and, surprisingly, quite a number of them had strong in-migration last year that reversed this year. And California was not as bad as the previous year either.
What are you talking about? Last year was literally California's worst year" https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ate/California

The data is all here for anyone to see other states and metro areas. It is broken down by natural increase (births minus deaths), domestic migration, and international immigration: https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 04:04 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Uhaul huh.
I’m guessing a lot of those moves were out of college dorms because the schools were on lockdown. Or young adults moving home to mom and dad temporarily.
Don’t we all know who uses a uhaul truck to move?

Old 01-05-2022, 04:25 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Uhaul huh.
I’m guessing a lot of those moves were out of college dorms because the schools were on lockdown. Or young adults moving home to mom and dad temporarily.
Don’t we all know who uses a uhaul truck to move?
Agree that looking at U-Haul data doesn't let it all add up because that's only based on who uses them, but when you look at Census data then it does add up. Folks are leaving "blue" states for "red" states in droves. Some like CA and NY lose hundreds of thousands of domestic migrants a year, with an ever diminishing share of the international immigration.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
Where do you live? Have you checked the property values in East Oakland for example?. S****y, run down, old homes in some of the most crime infested areas of the country are higher than nice, new, safe suburban areas all over. I used to live 15 minutes from East Oakland. It was sketchy driving through the area in broad daylight, horrifying at night. Feel free to go home shopping there and let me know how safe you feel and how good you would feel sending your kids to terrible, dangerous schools.
Is east Oakland cheaper than adjacent areas with less crime and the same proximity to major employment centers? I'm used to cities like Baltimore, I guess it is worse than your example. Baltimore's crime ridden areas has houses for much cheaper than surrounding lower crime suburban areas. East Oakland can't be all that bad if it is higher cost than adjacent suburban areas that provide about the same access to major employment centers.

Areas with more crime will be cheaper than areas with less crime. It's not that hard to deduce.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
The polarization continues.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...estimates.html
Attached Thumbnails
Exodus from blue states continues according to U-Haul-db5b45b4-7b54-4d6f-81e4-98ea66704363.jpeg  

Old 01-05-2022, 05:28 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,145 times
The end result of all this will be political change. These people are moving to the blue urban centers of these states. If the population increases enough, those "red" states will become blue.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:55 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Politics is what makes red states a better financial option.

It's all about the politics. Vote in high sending, high taxing Democrats and we see what we see now. People fleeing as fast as they can.

It amazes me how Democrats never connect the dots between what they vote for and the outcome of those policies.
One might hope that those fleeing the blue states because of the high taxes, mandates, vaccine passports, high crime, and other consequencces of democrat rule, would connect the dots enough to not vote "blue" when it comes time to vote in Florida.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:00 PM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
According to an analysis I read, the migration will hurt Republicans in 2022. It's Republican voters who are leaving purple districts within blue states. After they leave, the district swings blue for that seat. Where they're going is already red, so no contribution there. The liberals are not fleeing the blue states because, as hard as it is to believe, they like it that way.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Boomers moving to cheaper states with better weather.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:12 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Boomers moving to cheaper states with better weather.
I would think this is a large contributor. I would be curious to see the average age moving to these states. This phenomenon has been happening for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies