Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 05:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Not sure if marijuana should be legalized, but if the US closed its many military bases around the world and stopped its endless wars, then, without a doubt, every American could have free healthcare, free college, affordable housing, etc. And there would still be money left to update and improve the civil infrastructure.
Super big win for you and your Russian sponsors too.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:24 PM

21,947 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Easiest way is to figure out a way to Confiscate it from the Boomers. They are surely working on that.

The older Boomers learned from The Greatest Generation.
Our parents lived through the Great Depression, went to War and taught us the lessons of both.

My kids are Generation X, Grandchildren are Generation Z. Not a single poor Millennial in the family, but we do have two ‘Honorary” old Hippies who never grew up, so maybe that counts.

My oldest makes more money than we ever did, pays for his kids to go to college (no loans) as we paid for our kids. We are already transferring money to our kids so they don’t have to wait until we are dead and gone.

I’ll transfer every penny before I allow the Government to Confiscate it in the name of “equity” for those who think it’s just not FAIR that we WORKED & SAVED for what we have.

We taught our children the lessons our parents taught us … my fear is that I’m not sure they are passing on that knowledge. Every Generation makes their own decisions.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:27 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Here's the thing - We didn't blame the greatest generation. We may have hated their music and liked weed a lot more than they did but we never whimpered like little beatch3z and blamed them for whatever perceived hurdles we encountered in life. "Eewww lookit all of you with your GI benefits and free college and cheap "little boxes" housing and your simple conformist 50s lives" ... Never mind that you came back from Peleliu with a leg full of shrapnel and a thousand yard stare. No we didn't take that cop out. They lived their age the best that they could, pretty much like most generations do. If you kids think you can do it better and invent the "right way to live life" then do it and prove it and just $tFu in the meantime. If your children don't whimper to you about how uniquely painful life is for them then it's probably because the generational cycle will have clicked over from "soft men make hard times" to "hard times make hard men". If that's the case (and I think it may be) then your generation will go down not as a role model but as a cautionary tale.
I’m a boomer and yes I heard that. Remember the boomers were the ones that called police pigs, the saying “ you can’t trust anyone over 30….. remember the anti war protests? I’m sure it depends on where you live, I grew up in California and of course there the “hippies”. Just like now there are good kids who are just living there lives and the media giving the problem kids attention.

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
nah, you need to put on a few years and learn a little more. That one thing in this land has NEVER changed...each generation wants what was, and the further we get away from 'america', the generations go back; Used to be just parents, now its grandparents too.

But its good to wish - even if it cannot be obtained. I fear my youngest (14) will not be able to find the quality of life when he is my age, that I have now.

My wife and I have exactly 3 smack in the middle of this age range (23, 29, 32) and lo and behold, as I stated, as each finds marriage, not hook ups, mortgages, not rentals, and children - pow. They stop voting democrat, goto school meetings, and select houses based on QoL safety. I think the technical term is 'growing up'. Sprinkled liberally with common sense. so to answer your first sentence, it is EXACTLY as I said. ( you are going to get the same answer whose life is not interwoven with social media disease.)

Part of being older, should one make it, is the ability to recognize the value in intangible things and see the patterns and take pride when your offspring suddenly realizes you were not as stupid as they thot you were from age 15. I hope you get there someday.

In a way, Im kinda bummed you didnt have anyone to teach you this. For that I am sorry. Not ruin my day kind of sorry, but still...

Ps - Im a tweener. I am the exact last year of the boom. Sweating out the next retirement age shift. when my generation is gone, the USA is in deep doo cuz very very few people younger than me know how anything works or how to do anything practical. 100% dependent on the good graces of others for survival. OR put another way, when the zombies attack and the lights go out, do you know even where to look, to get the lights back on? better learn horseback and real fast...
Your ability to jump to conclusions about others, delusions of grandeur, and inability to realize your personal experiences are only anecdotal all align perfectly with what generation you are - boomer - despite your lame duck attempts at distancing yourself because you were born on the cusp. But I do admit it was mildly entertaining.

After you pass away, the world will just collapse because no one left alive knows how anything works. Got it

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
I see the same thing! Wtf are 75 year olds who are worth millions and millions still going to work at 730am everyday.
There's a lot in that generation that derive self-worth from work. I don't get it.

I'm fortunate to work in a profession that has a mandatory retirement age and it has worked out well for me. I've had consistent career progression. Of course once I hit 65 I'll be forced out. Thankfully. I don't want to work a day past it.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,960 times
1776, constitution restored, 16th and 17th amendments repealed.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:36 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Super big win for you and your Russian sponsors too.
That guy's world view is so ignorant................it's tough to believe anyone is really that naive.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
There's a lot in that generation that derive self-worth from work. I don't get it.

I'm fortunate to work in a profession that has a mandatory retirement age and it has worked out well for me. I've had consistent career progression. Of course once I hit 65 I'll be forced out. Thankfully. I don't want to work a day past it.
To each his own. I love what I do. Every day is a new challenge and a new learning opportunity. My trigger for retirement is when I go to work for 2 months straight saying "I hate this $h!t". When I hit that 60 day sucks threshold I'm done. It hasn't happened yet.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:49 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
This question is for people who are ages 18-40 years old. What kind of America do you want to live in after boomers are gone?

What do you want America to develop into and how are you going to get it there ? Keep in mind that you (and people younger than you) are going to be required to support it financially and socially, with all that entails (legal, political, monetary, environmental, defense, etc.)

It would be great if you listed your age with your reply so we can understand differing points of view. Tks.
I would assume most will reside in their parent's basement.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Ah, the dreaded "No one needs..." has appeared. Nothing like forcing your ideas on others, eh?

What about large families? You think they should all be crammed into small houses? Why?

What does "any longer" mean?
I keep reading that families today average less than 2 kids. Who needs the 5 bedroom house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies