Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 05:51 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well someone needs to check them hard.

I am 50 so I am in the generation that always had to pay for the boomers actions.

I want to see.

- major changes to housing in this country.
a. Less rental properties.
b. a real examination of zoning as it seems to have done little to make layout better and only seems a way to give rich people the ability to do things while stopping the poor.
c. Smaller housing forced on developers. No one needs a 5 bedroom McMansion any longer.

- a Major change to health care.
- no more corporations telling doctors how to treat for their better bottom line.

- A complete head to toe revamping of employment laws. Starting with "at will employment" - when employment becomes a life line for everyone it can't be -- I can fire you for any reason.

- Kicking out the vast majority of illegal aliens and cracking down hard on people who are internal enemies to this country.

- Complete destruction of the current educational model in favor of cheap on line classes.

- Complete revamping of the criminal laws -and justice system. In favor of crimes that really effect people today and in favor of locking up anyone dangerous and, if that means we have to build 500 more prisons, so be it.
I’m a second half of the boom boomer and I think, except for the last one and the third to the last one (both of which I agree with), that what you want to see is anti American.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I’m a boomer and yes I heard that. Remember the boomers were the ones that called police pigs, the saying “ you can’t trust anyone over 30….. remember the anti war protests? I’m sure it depends on where you live, I grew up in California and of course there the “hippies”. Just like now there are good kids who are just living there lives and the media giving the problem kids attention.
The picture was a little different in Texas.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:54 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
The picture was a little different in Texas.
Yes, funny is my parents were Texans so my dad was very verbal about what was going on.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
I see the same thing! Wtf are 75 year olds who are worth millions and millions still going to work at 730am everyday.
They love what they do.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Speak for yourself.

I'm 34 yrs old with a mortgage and kids in one of the most expensive areas of the country. My generation complains too much, doesn't put in the work, and expects to live a cushy life without much sacrifice.

Some things I'd like to see in the future, off the top of my head:

-Immigration returned to a fair process with illegals booted from our country for violating our laws.

-Smaller federal government with smaller overall tax burden. States being the ones to run the show. For the most part I'd love if our government would leave us alone and let us live our lives.

-More moderate political views across the board. We've become so polarized as a nation that weird ideology is being allowed to fester (transgender nonsense) and people want to steer our country away from its roots.

-Personal responsibility being a thing again. Make bad choices in life? That's on you. I'm tired of giving a million chances to people who just can't get their lives together. Social safety net is one thing, just being a total deadbeat is another.

-Stop meddling in foreign affairs so much. Take care of our citizens and their needs first.

-Would love to see a return of the nuclear family. Seems a lot of problems stem from kids growing up in broken homes- crime, lack of morals, poor life choices such as joining gangs or getting involved with drugs or other vices.
So you tell me to speak for myself, and then proceed to give your personal anecdotal story about how at 34 you have a mortgage and kids, and in one of the most expensive places, no less! as if it were reflective of what? That you were born on third base and believe you hit a triple?

Oh please tell us of all your "sacrifices," this I GOTTA hear. Do you actually believe your personal experiences reflect what most people 18-40 are experiencing? Oh let me guess, they are just lazy shiftless do-nothings, unwilling to "sacrifice."

And the first thing you want to see in the future is less people with brown faces - how original.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow. With comments like these, I can see why so many welcome being coddled by the government.Builders build what is selling, and those Mcmansions sell as fast as they go up. It is what it is. When we were house shopping a couple of years ago, it definitely was tough finding what we wanted. Something semi rural, with a large lot , and only around 2000 sqft. It took some time and it all worked out.

Since these huge homes are selling, it's obvious people are buying them. It's supply and demand. When those homes quit selling the builders will start building what does.
Yeah, no kidding.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So you tell me to speak for myself, and then proceed to give your personal anecdotal story about how at 34 you have a mortgage and kids, and in one of the most expensive places, no less! as if it were reflective of what? That you were born on third base and believe you hit a triple?

Oh please tell us of all your "sacrifices," this I GOTTA hear. Do you actually believe your personal experiences reflect what most people 18-40 are experiencing? Oh let me guess, they are just lazy shiftless do-nothings, unwilling to "sacrifice."

And the first thing you want to see in the future is less people with brown faces - how original.

Give me one reason "brown people" can't immigrate here LEGALLY.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow. With comments like these, I can see why so many welcome being coddled by the government. Builders build what is selling, and those Mcmansions sell as fast as they go up. It is what it is. When we were house shopping a couple of years ago, it definitely was tough finding what we wanted. Something semi rural, with a large lot , and only around 2000 sqft. It took some time and it all worked out.

Since these huge homes are selling, it's obvious people are buying them. It's supply and demand. When those homes quit selling the builders will start building what does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm in my 30's and while I don't have anything to gauge it against, the level of division at this point seems untenable. It feels like a married couple that is "staying together for the kids" but constantly down each other's throats. As is the case with the married couples who hate each other, it seems like it might be better for an amicable divorce, through proper channels.

All of the tyranny and disruption that the left promised would happen under Trump, didn't, but now that the left is in power they are trying to control every aspect of our lives down to the medicines we take and what we wear over our oxygen holes. The right doesn't like high taxes or social spending, likes personal freedom and wants secure borders. The left loves taxes, loves spending, hates personal decision-making, doesn't like punishing criminals, and wants open borders.

Why not amicably split into two countries, each being governed in the way in which it sees fit? That would probably take 10-20 years to accomplish but if not now, when.
No, it would be impossible.

1. Too many people who would disagree live amongst each other.

2. There would never be any agreement on how to divide the debt.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I keep reading that families today average less than 2 kids. Who needs the 5 bedroom house?
Who's asking and why? .. and get the F out of my five bedroom house with your pinched look of disapproval. And take that Karen from Center For an Urban Future whose pacing off my kitchen sq footage the hell with you. This is not your vibrant inclusive communal space. I paid for it. It's mine. If I want to fill the parlor with hookers and blow and cover the garage with dirt and grow radishes it's nobody's business but mine. If you continue to show disapproval I'll sell it and buy a ten bedroom house and make an indoor gun range out of it. There will still be hookers and blow there too of course.

You see the kind of back-pressure this gets you?

Old 02-01-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I'm 59 so tail end of boomers but I identify more with Gen Xers. I agree with everything except mandating small houses. No one needs to tell anyone that they need a smaller house. It's no one's business.
Do other Trumpers you know know you feel that way ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.