Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 01:25 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
In my 30s.

One where the Government is downsized at least 75% and my tax burden is reduced by 75% or more. One where politicians spend within their means, get the **** out of our lives and leave us the hell alone.
In this high tech Information Age you would think we don’t need 400+ Representatives. A system designed in the days when mail was delivered by Pony Express

Old 02-01-2022, 01:31 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In this high tech Information Age you would think we don’t need 400+ Representatives. A system designed in the days when mail was delivered by Pony Express
TBH I think we're better off drawing representatives by random lottery every legislative session just like jury duty. They get a small stipend for the duration of the session, airfare, hotel, a per diem, and paid leave from their day jobs. No more career politicians.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:36 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m in my 30s….think many people want marijuana legalized, free healthcare, free college, affordable housing, etc.
Free healthcare has to happen. Housing needs to be affordable. Marijuana? Legal in many states now but it's not that important. Free college? No. That is not fair because what are we going to give to kids who do NOT go to college? Not everyone has what it takes to go to college or even wants to go to college. There are a lot of jobs that don't require college and they aren't being given free money. There are still scholarships for the really smart kids to go to college.

Free or affordable community college=yes. To either teach them a skill to earn a good living or to enable them to transfer and pay their way through the last two years at a four year college.

Main thing in this country is affordable (or free) healthcare for everyone who is a citizen or legal permanent resident. Everyone will need healthcare some time in their lives. (Good to hear from someone in their 30s, btw.)

Old 02-01-2022, 01:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
they are going to want the same environment the boomers always expected but had taken away. once of course they lose interest in gaming and social media.

by the time someone gets a couple kids in school and a mortgage, stuff gets real. just witness loudon county VA, and the state in whole.

November, cannot get here fast enough.
Just like a boomer to respond on behalf of the 18-40 year olds. Good gravy, couldn't even wait for ONE actual 18-40 year old to actually respond before chiming in with your perspective.

What the boomers had taken away? Wow, how refreshing.

Actual 18-40 year olds won't actually get to have kids or a mortgage. That is already real.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:45 PM

4,549 posts, read 2,273,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well someone needs to check them hard.

I am 50 so I am in the generation that always had to pay for the boomers actions.

I want to see.

- major changes to housing in this country.
a. Less rental properties.
b. a real examination of zoning as it seems to have done little to make layout better and only seems a way to give rich people the ability to do things while stopping the poor.
c. Smaller housing forced on developers. No one needs a 5 bedroom McMansion any longer.

- a Major change to health care.
- no more corporations telling doctors how to treat for their better bottom line.

- A complete head to toe revamping of employment laws. Starting with "at will employment" - when employment becomes a life line for everyone it can't be -- I can fire you for any reason.

- Kicking out the vast majority of illegal aliens and cracking down hard on people who are internal enemies to this country.

- Complete destruction of the current educational model in favor of cheap on line classes.

- Complete revamping of the criminal laws -and justice system. In favor of crimes that really effect people today and in favor of locking up anyone dangerous and, if that means we have to build 500 more prisons, so be it.

I'm 59 so tail end of boomers but I identify more with Gen Xers. I agree with everything except mandating small houses. No one needs to tell anyone that they need a smaller house. It's no one's business.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:48 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
This question is for people who are ages 18-40 years old. What kind of America do you want to live in after boomers are gone?

What do you want America to develop into and how are you going to get it there ? Keep in mind that you (and people younger than you) are going to be required to support it financially and socially, with all that entails (legal, political, monetary, environmental, defense, etc.)

It would be great if you listed your age with your reply so we can understand differing points of view. Tks.
One where:

-Money is spent generously on all sciences, not just those used for the military industrial complex and pointless fake wars

-Children from all classes have a fair chance at educational success and freedom

-Climate issues are taken seriously

-Citizens have the maximum possible amount of freedom without putting the public in jeopardy. And your irrational fears and anxieties don’t count unless you can demonstrate the impact of the policy and have an open and rational discussion. If you have a law restricting freedom, after 20 years you should be able to show that it produces a demonstrable benefit. Speculation does not count. An exception will be made for any law required by the constitution and for any criminal law that has been inherited from English common law and in effect continuously from 1700s to present. There will be a grace period of 25 years from the ratification of this section before non-compliant laws will be stricken down. Any other exception shall require a constitutional amendment.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
You think if you outwork your manager, they're just going to swap places with you?
If you're in a job where the only way to advance is to take your managers spot then ... are you working at Burger King?

Old 02-01-2022, 01:55 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
as a parent to millennials, anecdotally i glean from talking with them they want a strong economy/job security foremost. in their working careers, the millennial generation has had to deal with a years long deep recession with unstable work environments and a years long pandemic. both of which hit them hard financially.

rising health care costs are also a top concern for millennials. whether they work for a company or self employed and purchase health insurance privately, health insurance deductibles/premiums are rising fast relative to income growth. health care costs are negatively impacting their finances a great deal, too.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:58 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,921,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
they are going to want the same environment the boomers always expected but had taken away. once of course they lose interest in gaming and social media.

by the time someone gets a couple kids in school and a mortgage, stuff gets real. just witness loudon county VA, and the state in whole.

November, cannot get here fast enough.
Then their kids later will blame them for the exact same thing they blamed the boomers and the boomers blamed the greatest generation, and so on.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:59 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
rising health care costs are also a top concern for millennials. whether they work for a company or self employed and purchase health insurance privately, health insurance costs/deductibles/premiums are rising fast relative to income growth. heath care costs are negatively impacting their finances.
And is an international competitive disadvantage for companies as well as they shoulder much of that cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies