Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 10:24 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Baggage - sure, it's called living. We all have some.
I just don't have much patience. It's a full time job taking care of me (as far as mental health goes). I Taking pon baggage from a previous marriage, that will be more difficult.

Also, there is alot I require. Individuals who might otherwise share the same views as me on family, marriage, faith, and how to conduct one's self, most are already married, at least where I live.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:28 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No one can afford to feed/cloth themselves now in this great system of "Capitalism" the right loves so much Much less breed. I think its safe to say Capitalism is a FAILURE don't you? This is the end result. Zero trust in the future of the nation and to pass on a country to your offspring
In case you didn't notice, this is not "capitalism." It's not a free market economy. Anyone who thinks it is is daft.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:21 PM

2,018 posts, read 866,715 times
Quote:
No one can afford to feed/cloth themselves now in this great system of "Capitalism" the right loves so much Much less breed. I think its safe to say Capitalism is a FAILURE don't you? This is the end result. Zero trust in the future of the nation and to pass on a country to your offspring
You are right! Don't breed, we will be better off as a country without you continuing your blood line.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:22 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
You are right! Don't breed, we will be better off as a country without you continuing your blood line.
Bingo

Old 02-12-2022, 02:36 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Feed themselves? hahahahaha Have you noticed how fat we are?

The Free market isn't a failure. Your grasp on economics is.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:43 PM

This doom and gloom stuff about "the birthrate are dropping", I can't be persuaded to care. Maybe it's because I am childless and a bachelor. Maybe it's because I don't feel any affects from it. I just can't muster up enough fear or concern.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:48 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,459,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This doom and gloom stuff about "the birthrate are dropping", I can't be persuaded to care. Maybe it's because I am childless and a bachelor. Maybe it's because I don't feel any affects from it. I just can't muster up enough fear or concern.
And despite all the hand-wringing about "declining birth rates," the human population is higher than it's ever been.

Last edited by Taggerung; 02-12-2022 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-12-2022, 02:59 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Keep things in perspective... the poor in 2020's society can get treatment for diseases that even kings couldn't deal with and would die from 500 years ago... people in contemporary times are simply spoiled... even the left who think that people who don't contribute to society should have middle class lifestyles. Compared to even 100 years ago most people live like kings. 200+ years ago? Not even a fair comparison.

Life is hard, or it's supposed to be. If we don't have real world problems to face our flawed psychology will likely invent problems in our minds. Something tells me we are going to have to learn to live with less going forward, that this idea that every citizen on the planet is going to have a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house with a 3 stall garage and 4 vehicles parked in it lacks reality.

Thinking about this has made me grateful for what I do have, rather than jealous at all the toys others have, which I don't even want anyways. I'm content with very little, working less and having plenty of backup assets.

If you post here having multiple properties with a 7 figure net worth, remember to be grateful for what you have. There's a good chance in your next life you won't have it.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:08 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
If you post here having multiple properties with a 7 figure net worth, remember to be grateful for what you have. There's a good chance in your next life you won't have it.
Yes, it’s hard to fit a single McMansion into a coffin, let alone two or three.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:08 PM

Many people blame this on economics and capitalism. This is what I notice. The birthrates dropping have many variables. You don't see especially high birthrate among the college educated. I notice people in blue collar jobs tend to have more children than people in white collar jobs.

In the USA, there are even more variables. Religious people (especially Catholics and Mormons)tend to have more children than non-religious people. I'm an exception to that rule. I'm Catholic and I have no children or a wife.

I did some digging on birthrate by state (per 1,000).

The states with the highest birthrates:
Utah (14.9)
North Dakota (14.0)
Alaska (13.7)
South Dakota (13.5)
Texas (13.2)
Nebraska (13.2)
Louisiana (12.6)
Oklahoma (12.6)
Kansas (12.5)
Mississippi (12.4)

States with the lowest birthrates:
Vermont (8.7)
New Hampshire (8.8)
Maine (9.2)
Connecticut (9.7)
Rhode Island (9.9)
Massachusetts (10.0)
Oregon (10.1)
West Virginia (10.1)
Florida (10.4)
Pennsylvania (10.6)

I notice the states with the highest birthrates include some of the more religious states. Mormonism is a big cultural factor in Utah. I notice something else. The Great Plains are heavily represented. States with low population densities have higher birthrates. The Dakotas embody this to a T. Other states include Louisiana and Mississippi, very religious, among the Blackest states in the USA. Texas is religious and home to a large Hispanic population.

The states with the lowest birthrates, well, all of New England is in the top 6. I notice the most crowded region has the lowest birthrates. Vermont and New Hampshire aren't especially religious states. The other 4. Oregon has attracted alot of young, childless, and irreligious types. West Virginia and Pennsylvania have aging populations. Economically distressed West Virginia lost population as people of child bearing age leave for better opportunities elsewhere. Pennsylvania, similar story depending on what part of PA you're in. Philadelphia is basically an East Coast city, and it likely has dynamics similar to Boston which mean lower birthrates. Florida has a high population density, especially South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies