Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2022, 11:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is still no excuse. Plenty of middle class persons who have dreads and don't even live in the ghetto. A better question is this. What came first: Dreadlocks or the crime? Dreadlocks, or the gangster mentality? What came first? That speech, or the high crime rates.

I think some of refuse to differentiate between underclass Blacks and non-underclass Blacks because they just don't care. One poster even mentioned not having any patience and not caring anymore.
Oh yeah, I don’t disagree with you. It is lazy to automatically stereotype, and it’s not a good excuse. But unfortunately it is reality. You’ve got to change up your strategy when the game/system is rigged. Unfortunately, even though it’s not fair, if blacks as a whole want to stop being stereotyped, they will need to give up aspects that are associated with gangster culture (speech, dress, tattoos, how they act in public, etc). It’s not fair, but that is the way the system is.

Asians recognize this and know what they need to do to succeed. They preach working hard, conducting themselves well in public, valuing education, etc. It’s why they are referred to as the “model minority.”

Again, I don’t think this is right or fair, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 12:00 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I addressed this in a previous response to you. There are a considerable proportion on non “underclass” blacks who still adapt aspects of the gangster culture (speech, dress, etc). That is why blacks as a whole are often time lumped together.
2nd reply.

I thought about my brother. He recently grew his hair out and got braids, and then dreadlocks. I've never associated having dreadlocks with being part of the underclass. I associate pants sagging and a heavy amount of tattoos with that. Strangely, tattoos seem to be a thing among alot of people regardless of race. I don't have any tattoos. I hate tattoos.

I remember telling my brother "Cut your hair. Black people are already looked down on. You go into the office looking like that, or out in public like that, you might run into someone who doubly sees you as a threat". Well, he works remote, and because of that, he only has to go into the office a few times out of the year. He also mentioned that the majority of people at his company, including his boss, are Black. He also said "the girls love this hairstyle". He would go on to say "Why should I change my hair to please anyone? I've spent my life caring what other people think of me. I'm sick of it. I'm doing what I want to do. Anyone doesn't like it? They can go to...".

The thing is, I can look at the way a person carries themselves and know they aren't a hood rat/underclass type. I've come across plenty of Black males with dreadlocks and could tell right away they weren't the underclass types. I have wondered if said persons ever think about how they might be perceived.

My brother's style isn't my style. However, I think about where he was coming from. He felt like "I've bent over backwards to please everyone. And it didn't stop me from running into problems".

This is the thing. I disagree with what you're saying. I understand how some people think. At the same time, I look at your statement and think "people in other groups could do that, and it wouldn't illicit the same fear that it would if Black males did it".

Old 02-18-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Nothing new about B on A hate. Been happening for generations.
There have been tensions between Blacks and Asians for decades. There have also been tensions between Blacks and Hispanics for decades. Violence has occurred.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:58 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
2nd reply.

I thought about my brother. He recently grew his hair out and got braids, and then dreadlocks. I've never associated having dreadlocks with being part of the underclass. I associate pants sagging and a heavy amount of tattoos with that. Strangely, tattoos seem to be a thing among alot of people regardless of race. I don't have any tattoos. I hate tattoos.

I remember telling my brother "Cut your hair. Black people are already looked down on. You go into the office looking like that, or out in public like that, you might run into someone who doubly sees you as a threat". Well, he works remote, and because of that, he only has to go into the office a few times out of the year. He also mentioned that the majority of people at his company, including his boss, are Black. He also said "the girls love this hairstyle". He would go on to say "Why should I change my hair to please anyone? I've spent my life caring what other people think of me. I'm sick of it. I'm doing what I want to do. Anyone doesn't like it? They can go to...".

The thing is, I can look at the way a person carries themselves and know they aren't a hood rat/underclass type. I've come across plenty of Black males with dreadlocks and could tell right away they weren't the underclass types. I have wondered if said persons ever think about how they might be perceived.

My brother's style isn't my style. However, I think about where he was coming from. He felt like "I've bent over backwards to please everyone. And it didn't stop me from running into problems".

This is the thing. I disagree with what you're saying. I understand how some people think. At the same time, I look at your statement and think "people in other groups could do that, and it wouldn't illicit the same fear that it would if Black males did it".
I’m not saying that you should agree with what I’m saying. I’m just saying that if black people as a whole don’t do this, they will continue to be stereotyped. My the principle of black people feeling like they shouldn’t have to assimilate like this is worth it (worth continuing to be stereotyped). You and other black people have every right to feel this way, but again, you will continue to be stereotyped (even though it is not fair).

Old 02-18-2022, 01:02 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm not sure why blacks are attacking Asians regularly, I thought they were being taught to hate whitey? Anybody have a theory on why so many black on Asian crimes? It's obvious why the Fakestream media is covering them up.
Asians are very easy targets. They don't fight, fuss, and they have money. Bonus: they vote for the exact same party as blacks, and are neglected by Democrats.

Sadly, they're the perfect target. And Black on Asian attacks started ramping up during COVID.

Black career criminals need to attack other people of color since their underclass status doesn't usually put them near a lot of white people, and Asians fit the bill.

Last edited by Rocko20; 02-18-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2022, 03:00 PM

6,675 posts, read 2,979,818 times
Quote:
I've wondered how many of those men....

1) Have issues with mental illness.
2) Did time in prison and can't seem to live outside of prison.
3) Have other issues and have been abandoned by their families.

I think about those three things because of what you've mentioned about people being abandoned by their families.
Yeah,..it is a sad reality that many don't see. You look at a bum and you can never really know the circumstances. But they most likely didn't have any support from a family ultimately otherwise they'd be with them instead of on the sidewalk.

Back in the ol'days we didn't have people move out or away from family as fast as now. There was always a homebase of sorts. Grandma ruled the roost.

That all evolved out for the many apparently.

Then you get everything that follows. The crime, the prison, the drugs.

Sometimes a home isn't enough though. If they get too rowdy or hook up with bad elements, they'll get kicked out or worse, get their whole family kicked out by the building.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,309 times
Quote:
It's the gangster culture among the Black UNDERCLASS. What part of UNDERCLASS do some people not understand?

Negative ---

Both Rich and Poor Blacks are into 'the Gangster' Culture.-----Just look at Millionaire Rappers, Black Movie Stars (Ice Tea, Ice Cube, Snoop, Jay-Z) etc. ALL MAKE $ FROM and promote 'The Gangster' Image...!

There are few Black Intellectuals that make the Front page who are esteemed by Black America. IN FACT, most Conservative Blacks are held in HIGHER-ESTEEM BY WHITES (not Blacks). People like Thomas Sowell are promoted and 'loved' by White America. Talk show host and political Candidate Larry Elder battles an image of being an 'Uncle Tom' because of his Conservative Family Values.

The Black Culture is its own worst enemy...

A Strange Phenomena indeed~!

Old 02-18-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I’m not saying that you should agree with what I’m saying. I’m just saying that if black people as a whole don’t do this, they will continue to be stereotyped. My the principle of black people feeling like they shouldn’t have to assimilate like this is worth it (worth continuing to be stereotyped). You and other black people have every right to feel this way, but again, you will continue to be stereotyped (even though it is not fair).
This is where I'm coming from. I don't have any "gangsterism" in my, and I've still dealt with being stereotyped. I've learned that some people will do that regardless. I'm aware that I have to prove myself. I had to prove myself to some people who are too lazy to think for themselves. I've also thought about this question. I've wondered why Black people are expected to make the accommodations, making the first move, having something to prove?

Old 02-18-2022, 07:26 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
2nd reply.

As a Caribbean person, I have never associated dreadlocks with ghetto behavior (though my grandparents’ generation sometimes did). I associated it with religion first and foremost - Rastafarianism and Hinduism. In fact, for a long time, I didn’t care to see it treated as just a style.

When people associate it as ghetto only, I struggle with viewing them as uneducated and uncultured.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Yeah,..it is a sad reality that many don't see. You look at a bum and you can never really know the circumstances. But they most likely didn't have any support from a family ultimately otherwise they'd be with them instead of on the sidewalk.

Back in the ol'days we didn't have people move out or away from family as fast as now. There was always a homebase of sorts. Grandma ruled the roost.

That all evolved out for the many apparently.

Then you get everything that follows. The crime, the prison, the drugs.

Sometimes a home isn't enough though. If they get too rowdy or hook up with bad elements, they'll get kicked out or worse, get their whole family kicked out by the building.
It's hard to tell when you see someone who is homeless. I never know if it's someone who is mentally ill. I never know if its someone addicted to drugs or alcohol. It could be someone who was recently released from prison and has nowhere to go.

People have always moved away from home whenever they had to find work somewhere else. In many cases, communities break up or decline because young people need to find work, and the work just isn't there where they live. The Industrial Revolution created a need for workers. This meant a migration from the farms to the cities.

One thing about this city is that it can provide the best and the worst. I think about Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. He was born in a small village to a large, impoverished family. He ran away from home at age 12 and went to Bucharest, the capital and largest city. He was out of place in his village, and struggled to adapt to city life. He got into crime and was eventually arrested for street fighting at age 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies