Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 06:03 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As you once again enforce that only your perspective can be correct...
Well I never said only my perspective can be correct, I said I don't understand why...

Not here to create another useless argument. So let's just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 06:54 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"I am sticking with what I know." is exactly why I will never vote for democrats.

I've voted Libertarian and Republican. I voted libertarian because I am in a long-term shift in the course of the country towards profoundly more human freedom. But I have to be blunt. The Libertarians continue to pursue a failing strategy. As a paleo libertarian (branch of both conservativism and libertarianism) I don’t like the idea of wasting my vote.

The reason why I will never vote for democrats is rather personal. They put my relative in the internment camp and this is scary to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think it is fair to blame the democrats for this, but at least, Colorado’s governor was the only major political figure to oppose the internment of Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor. Carr is a shining light in the Coloradan and American saga of Japanese internment, who effectively went it alone in taking a moral stand that would ultimately cost him a bright political future. Ralph Carr. Governor of Colorado who served during WWII. publicly opposed putting Japanese Americans into internment camps. To me, this man has principle and he is a Republican.

I am not saying all Republicans have principles like he did, saying that would be stupid. I am fully aware of the fact that Republican party can be just as corrupt as democratic party. But like one poster said earlier, at least republican has ben pretty consistent recent years.

For establishment Democrat politicians I feel they have not abandoned their racist roots, but somehow, they survived.

To the party, minorities are a gold mine of votes. their policies have destroyed the minority families and incentive poverty. That’s not helping the poor and downtrodden. That’s securing your voter mines. In their arrogance they believe that minorities need their help. Because they are donkeys they have a super special responsibility to help all those inferior people.

I believe that minorities are equal with one another and white majority. Since this is true they don’t need programs and policies curbed to help them. They are not handicapped. To think so is to believe that they are in someway inferior to whites. That is racist. To believe in white privilege is to believe that there is something inherent in being white.

I understand modern day democratic party can be appealing to SOME minority members, but it is not appealing to me.
I was giving in an example of how some people think.

In my case, I think about this as a Black man. At one time, the majority of Blacks who could vote (and there weren't many) voted Republican. This slowly started changing. Even some Republicans turned against Black people (notably then-President Herbert Hoover, who broke his political alliances with Blacks so he could appeal to White Southerners in the late 1920s). I'll come back to this part momentarily.

I get why would might admire Governor Carr. It is respectable and he did speak out against the internment. I can respect him too. I also think about this. Eisenhower, who was a Republican, might have been the President who tried to enforce integration in Arkansas. However, in 1964, it was Republican Barry Goldwater who was against the Civil Rights Act. Whether or not it was on libertarian grounds, I just have to say this. Libertarianism for the 1960s Black man wasn't going to work. Black people needed someone who was going to support the Civil Rights Act. And since Barry Goldwater did not, this basically served as the beginning of the end, in terms of Blacks voting Republican in large numbers. 1968 came, and Nixon tried the Southern Strategy. After the riots and racial strife, Nixon tried to appeal to anti-Black racial resentment in the South (strategist Kevin Phillips even talks about it) in a subtle way. He lost the Deep South, but not to Democrat Hubert H. Humphrey. He lost to George C. Wallace, a segregationist running as part of the far-right American Independent Party. Let's just say it's been down hill from there in terms of Blacks voting Republican. And it doesn't have much to do with "free stuff" as some people want to think. It's more like "Democrats bad, Republicans more bad".

I'll just say this. In the last 50 years, there haven't been that many Republicans who have given me a reason to vote for them. I live in the South and the majority of Republicans I see down here seem to be of the Neo-Confederate variety. Brian Kemp, governor of Georgia, is just one example. Maybe if I lived in a state like Kansas or Colorado, I might be more open to check out the Republicans there.

As for families, I'll just say this. Black families were in a precarious state before any kind of welfare programs came into play. The Black population has always had a higher rate of out of wedlock births, single motherhood, fatherless homes, and much higher divorce rates than anyone else. This is something neither the Democrats or Republicans can do anything about.

BTW, I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016, so I'm not one of those straight ticket party voters. I am just someone who, while not supporting straight ticket party voting, I understand why it happens. We live in a society where people look out for their own individual needs first. We live in a low trust society. Voting straight Democrat all the time isn't the best idea. However, there are many who won't change because they don't trust the GOP. Basically, it's a matter of "show me you can do better, and if you can't forget it".

Old 02-17-2022, 06:58 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was giving in an example of how some people think.

In my case, I think about this as a Black man. At one time, the majority of Blacks who could vote (and there weren't many) voted Republican. This slowly started changing. Even some Republicans turned against Black people (notably then-President Herbert Hoover, who broke his political alliances with Blacks so he could appeal to White Southerners in the late 1920s). I'll come back to this part momentarily.

I get why would might admire Governor Carr. It is respectable and he did speak out against the internment. I can respect him too. I also think about this. Eisenhower, who was a Republican, might have been the President who tried to enforce integration in Arkansas. However, in 1964, it was Republican Barry Goldwater who was against the Civil Rights Act. Whether or not it was on libertarian grounds, I just have to say this. Libertarianism for the 1960s Black man wasn't going to work. Black people needed someone who was going to support the Civil Rights Act. And since Barry Goldwater did not, this basically served as the beginning of the end, in terms of Blacks voting Republican in large numbers. 1968 came, and Nixon tried the Southern Strategy. After the riots and racial strife, Nixon tried to appeal to anti-Black racial resentment in the South (strategist Kevin Phillips even talks about it) in a subtle way. He lost the Deep South, but not to Democrat Hubert H. Humphrey. He lost to George C. Wallace, a segregationist running as part of the far-right American Independent Party. Let's just say it's been down hill from there in terms of Blacks voting Republican. And it doesn't have much to do with "free stuff" as some people want to think. It's more like "Democrats bad, Republicans more bad".

I'll just say this. In the last 50 years, there haven't been that many Republicans who have given me a reason to vote for them. I live in the South and the majority of Republicans I see down here seem to be of the Neo-Confederate variety. Brian Kemp, governor of Georgia, is just one example. Maybe if I lived in a state like Kansas or Colorado, I might be more open to check out the Republicans there.

As for families, I'll just say this. Black families were in a precarious state before any kind of welfare programs came into play. The Black population has always had a higher rate of out of wedlock births, single motherhood, fatherless homes, and much higher divorce rates than anyone else. This is something neither the Democrats or Republicans can do anything about.

BTW, I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016, so I'm not one of those straight ticket party voters. I am just someone who, while not supporting straight ticket party voting, I understand why it happens. We live in a society where people look out for their own individual needs first. We live in a low trust society. Voting straight Democrat all the time isn't the best idea. However, there are many who won't change because they don't trust the GOP. Basically, it's a matter of "show me you can do better, and if you can't forget it".
Sure of course. I can totally understand it too.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LES-Adrian View Post
Nobody has the patience anymore. No excuse in the world can make me give a damn anymore.
In short, there is no differentiating between the average Black person and an underclass Black criminal.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Sure of course. I can totally understand it too.
I'm just saying that while the modern day Democratic Party has gone bonkers, the modern day Republican Party doesn't have much to be desired either. The whole "vote GOP, what do you have to lose" line isn't going to be enough. It might get someone non-Black voters. It doesn't seem to work with Black voters (not even middle class/middle upper class Black voters). Actually, Asian voters are more likely to vote Republican than Black voters. This has been the case over the last 4 decades.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:05 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What i'll see is people voting for whoever they choose for their own reasons. What the average person doesn't see is "the media screaming "White Supremacy"" unless they subscribe to the far-right news sources that harp all the time on such things.
Odd, I don't watch any Right leaning channels and I bet you don't actually watch them either. The only place I see people screaming "white Supremacy" is Democrat leaning media and entertainment, Msnbc, CNN, the View, the Real, etc.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 02-17-2022 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-17-2022, 07:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
In short, there is no differentiating between the average Black person and an underclass Black criminal.
In my honest opinion, I think the reason that some don’t differentiate the average black person from the underclass blacks is that there a good number of blacks that embrace “some” of the negative perception characteristics. For example, many good blacks (law abiding and friendly), still don’t speak properly (speak slang/ Ebonics), have lots of tattoos, unkempt hair/hairstyles, and embrace hip hop culture.

This isn’t inherently bad, but the fact that a large portion of blacks (who aren’t criminals) embrace some of these negative stereotypes, it impacts peoples’ “perceptions” of blacks as a large group. And so some people will not differentiate “the average black person” with the underclass black. It’s why many blacks who are good law abiding citizens are stereotyped. Because many of those blacks still embrace some of the negative stereotypes.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I agree. Republicans are covering it now because they're hoping to get Asian votes. Not sure what took them so long.
Asians are more likely to vote Republican than Blacks. If anything, the GOP should be trying hard to get more Blacks votes (and not in the patronizing, "get of the plantation" kind of way).

Old 02-17-2022, 07:29 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Asians are more likely to vote Republican than Blacks. If anything, the GOP should be trying hard to get more Blacks votes (and not in the patronizing, "get of the plantation" kind of way).
Something must have worked as Trump Recieved far more Black votes vs. Biden then he did against Hillary. Old white men were the only large group that came out for Biden vs Hillary

Old 02-17-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
yeah I understand.

I moved in with my fiance two years ago when Covid became a pandemic in the U.S. Safety is never a concern for me.

Your second bold, I know a few Asians and I don't think they really believe black people are bad. I think most sane people know that there are bad apples in every race.

I also agree with the poster above who said politicians cannot and won't make the street safer for all of us.

Tough situation.
Two years ago I was living by myself. I moved to another city in 2019 for a job. From 2019-2021, I spent the majority of that time living alone. One of the reasons I bought a 9mm. I have a relative living with me at this point, for now. However, I remember when the pandemic broke out. Safety was one of my concerns. I watched as the stores started running out of certain items. I also watched some nutcase thrown stuff at some people, in public. I also noticed an increase in aggressive driving.

I also started hearing a bit about hate crimes against Asians, with the pandemic coming along. Ironically, I rarely heard this from other Asians. It was mostly White people that I knew of posting about it on Facebook. I rarely watch the news, and I don't live in any of the major media markets. The "Black on Asian" part of that, I didn't hear about, except here on city-data. I also noticed something else. Some individuals who would defend the use of the word "China virus", would be the ones speaking the most about Black on Asian violence.

Most of the Asians I know personally have been friendly. A few have been jerks. However, for the most part, many have been friendly. I do think about the fact that we live in a society of strangers. In a society of strangers, alot of things rely on mutual trust. If that is lacking, there might be some issues.

I live in a city with a Republican mayor. I bring this up because there are those who claim "Republicans are better". I disagree. I have noticed the crime rate going up. While this is certainly not as bad as Baltimore or Portland, it has gone up. I even became a crime victim (bicycle stolen, TWICE). As far as I'm concerned, no one is calling for defunding the police where I live. However, I think many criminals simply don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies