Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 11:51 AM

939 posts, read 424,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
I am strongly in favor of heavily arming and training every democrat in the country.
Great idea but. Democrats are not trainable so all you’d have is a bunch of them running around not knowing what end of the gun the bullet comes out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 11:57 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I don't know about "libs" 2nd amendment comprehension, but I have heard there are some demented, low-IQ folks who still believe Trump won the 2020 election.
And there are some people with low IQ that believes Biden is doing a great job….

Old 02-26-2022, 11:59 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Oh, so that wasn't a foreign invasion, on u.s soil? If George Washington was alive today with his militia he would be termed a terrorists --- I'm not confused at all.
Washington fought against professional soldiers, he didn’t go around killing civilians

Old 02-26-2022, 12:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Washington fought against professional soldiers, he didn’t go around killing civilians
I am sure there were some British sympathizers that were hanged during the revolution. Not everyone was FOR independence.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:02 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Do you have an alternative that doesn't leave the citizen defenseless in foreign and domestic terrorism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Probably too late. It would take a cultural change - as I posted upthread, the old Swiss ideal of the armed citizen in defense of his country seems, at least to me, to have been the thinking behind the 2nd. In the absence of armed enemies across the border, the US seems to have lost that mindset.
I don't know if this article does it justice ---

CITIZENS IN ARMS : THE SWISS EXPERIENCE

"Estimating the number of firearms in Swiss households would be perilous.
Any consideration of Swiss firearms law must recognize that the people are free to come and go to shooting competitions throughout the country, and competitors are commonly seen with firearms on trains, buses, bicycles, and on foot. Assault rifles are hung on hat racks in restaurants and are carried on the shoulder on the sidewalk. While a rifle with a folding stock may be carried in a backpack—its telltale barrel with flash suppressor sticking out of the top—rifles are otherwise just carried without cases.
<snip>
Since the founding of the Swiss Confederation in 1291, every man has been required to be armed and to serve in the militia army. Today, every male when he turns twenty years old is issued a Sturmgewehr 90 military rifle and required to keep it at home. When one is no longer required to serve—typically at age forty-two—he may keep his rifle (converted from automatic to semi-automatic) or pistol (in the case of an officer or specialized unit). Of the pervasive rifle in the pantry of the typical Swiss home, one observer quipped: “When the Swiss housewife cleans the closets, she takes her husband’s rifle and polishes that too. There may be shinier soldiers than the Swiss, but truly there are no shinier rifles than those of the Swiss.”

The formalities of Swiss firearms laws are foreshadowed by the above shooting culture and militia traditions. Even though they speak four different languages—German, French, Italian, and Romansh (a dialect of ancient Latin)—the crime rate is very low because the Swiss people share common values. This is in partly because of, not in spite of, the high rate of firearm ownership." [my emphasis]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In the absence of armed enemies across the border, the US seems to have lost that mindset.
I agree --- However, requiring a person to serve in a (well regulated) militia as it seems is the case with the Swiss, not sure how that flies with the perceived independence; individual responsibility of the American culture, as well as, not all threats are foreign. Most are homegrown.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:03 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Great idea but. Democrats are not trainable so all you’d have is a bunch of them running around not knowing what end of the gun the bullet comes out of.
He may be on to something.

Arming all the democrats would be akin to Monty Python's "twit races" and they would probably all end up killing themselves with the weapons.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Sure it does. It isn’t practiced anywhere outside of North Korea and Cuba.
Tell that to AOC and "the squad".

Old 02-26-2022, 12:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
I am strongly in favor of heavily arming and training every democrat in the country.
Many of them are already heavily armed, just look at the inner-cities. Not sure about the training part, though they do manage to murder a lot of people.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:10 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your confusing overt acts of terrorism by a group with an attack by a foreign government,
I did not even include 9/11 for that reason.

However we did have:

American Revolution
War of 1812
Civil War
WW2- Japan attacked US interests in areas to become states- Alaska and Hawaii- they were US territories
WW2- multiple U boat attacks in US waters
WW2- Japanese firebomb attacks on the west coast
Mexican attacks in 1916

Now we have liberals attempting to federalize elections (steal them) and use the FBI and NSA illegally against US citizens.

We are obligated to loyalty to our country, but the government only when they deserve it.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:20 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The 2nd Amendment was designed for situations exactly as those being faced in Ukraine. Tyrants want the population to be disarmed so that they are easier to control.
Dumb post. The USA did not have an effective standing army at the time and had to rely on a "regulated militia" for defense. Nothing like what is going on in Ukraine. There is no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies