Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 08:39 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Cut tuition!

There has been a massive expansion of buildings that are not needed and a logrithmic expansion in bureaucracy at universities.

Cut all the BS staff and don't give every BS admin position a private office and you would significantly cut costs.
Yup yup. Kollijiz have been going crazy about building plant (buildings) for decades. My old man was commenting about that addiction, empire building basically, in the '70s and '80s.

Skoolz are over-professored. Too many profs doing too little work and sitting on their PhD buttskis.

They might try scrubbing out the PC aspects, so education returns to actual education instead of propagandizing and brainwashing leftist notions.

We can start in the elementary schools. My father learned Greek and Latin in grade school. He was reading the Greek philosophers, and other works--in Greek--well into his old age.

Now many kids barely know English when they get their fake diplomas in 12th grade. Let's hit the ground running.

Hmmm. Who's going to teach Greek and Latin nowadays?

Old 02-28-2022, 08:41 PM

1,145 posts, read 403,714 times
Ban financial aid, government backed student loans.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:44 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
State colleges aren't that expensive if it's a 4 year program especially if kids commute. Most kids want the whole college experience and want to live on campus though. Housing costs just as much as tuition. I can't speak for other states, but in mine they need certain gen ed courses in order to graduate which pretty much adds a year. They could easily go to their community college to get these courses and then transfer. Those who are in $100,000 debt are ones who went on to higher education.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:47 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Paying for college/university is all kinds of crazy insane expensive. So if we were to really tackle it, what do you think would be the best way? I mean I hear of all these people having $100,000 in debt. Like what the hell? Far as I am concerned college should never cost anything more than $10-20 thousands at worst.

1. make it that not everyone can get in... send only the smartest and hardest workers.....ie make them earn it

2. get rid of all sports programs...a college/university is supposed to be a place of higher learning... not who goes to the Sugar Bowl

3. place caps on the "extras"... ie its not so much the cost of the actual course... but $380 for one book...$1500 for a parking pass... and don't forget housing... that is where some of the sky high costs are coming from.... my kids "meal plan" was twice what it costs me for a family of 4 at the grocery store (and it was crappy food to boot)

4. get the government (and private loan companies) out of the "business"

5. provide more Work study (ie working for the school) to offset some of the cost....colleges (any business for that matter) love cheap labor

Old 02-28-2022, 08:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Remove government entirely from the student loan business. Federal, state, local. 0% government involvement in college.

Wait 3-4 years.

Done.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:50 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Pretty good suggestions.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:55 PM

9,890 posts, read 4,653,413 times
Eliminate third party money ie wether it be loans, grants, scholarships or free government programs. Third party leads to someone else is paying for it syndrome.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:01 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
The fastest way to make college affordable is to stop paying for it with other people’s money. Get the government out of the student loan business and most of the problem will go away.

Other than that, only offer loans for viable fields of study. Stop loaning people money to study subjects that have next to no worth in the workplace. Want to go into medicine? Proceed with your loan application. Want to study the history of polka dancing? You’re on your own.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:05 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Paying for college/university is all kinds of crazy insane expensive. So if we were to really tackle it, what do you think would be the best way? I mean I hear of all these people having $100,000 in debt. Like what the hell? Far as I am concerned college should never cost anything more than $10-20 thousands at worst.

First and foremost, get the government out of the student loan business.

Universities can charge whatever they want for tuition when they know they have a guaranteed payer in Uncle Sam.

Students largely don't care how much it costs when they take the loan out either. The thought of actually having to pay it all back isn't their biggest concern....... until they actually have to do it.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:33 PM

1,145 posts, read 403,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
First and foremost, get the government out of the student loan business.

Universities can charge whatever they want for tuition when they know they have a guaranteed payer in Uncle Sam.

Students largely don't care how much it costs when they take the loan out either. The thought of actually having to pay it all back isn't their biggest concern....... until they actually have to do it.
Make student loan dischargeable debt through bankruptcy. I guarantee that cost of schools will drop overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies