Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 04:48 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Stop guaranteeing loans. End Social science degrees as not everyone belongs in college. Protect the value of the dollar.
I agree with the ending of Federal loan guarantees but I wouldn't go as far as not offering a degree program. It is the "easy money" that's inflating the cost of college.

If students had to pay for college out of pocket the cost would eventually decrease.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:19 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
I'm currently navigating this nightmare with 2 kids, an 18 year old son who is not college material and a 16 year old daughter who is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
A drop in number of students, compared to other forms of post-secondary education. If college isn't seen as worth it in society, they'll have to cut costs. A massive cut in the faculty numbers at universities (non-professors, the bureaucracy). Probably less research.

Some sort of law, that limits public colleges as government institutions from being so expensive, which would then incentivize private education to lower their prices if you can get in the best California, Virginian, Georgian, Michigan, Texan, New York schools for significantly cheaper.
Post secondary education is a terrible mess outside of college.

My son is not college material but he is trades material. He is a hands on kid who wired a house for a charity for our church at age 17. IE a natural. Look up electrician schools in NJ then go to gradreports.com for the real story. We toured Lincoln tech.... Looks good on google?... then get the students opinions on gradreports... BRUTAL!

Some states have the trades in their community colleges and good for them. Most don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Stop guaranteeing loans. End Social science degrees as not everyone belongs in college. Protect the value of the dollar.
You are walking right into the SJW/equity propeller blades. (Agreed with you but...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Subsidize community college and trade schools, each state can make their own arrangements. A couple years of community college will ease the burden of getting a 4 year degree.
Agreed but will take time.

Im going through this now. A lot of these private trades schools suck horribly.

Not sure what to do about tuition cost. My daughter IS college material with an IQ of 140 blah blah blah and I dont have the heart to tell her she may not go. She has a B. Literally ONE B. The rest As as a sophomore. In NJ, less than a 4 point will not qualify you for NJ Stars which is a typical state based 2+2 program. First 2 years at county are free then 2500 off the last 2 years at a 4 year state college.

The classes she takes are BRUTAL. She studies 3 hours a night and... its not enough. Im not going to make her study 5 hours a night. I'm already stealing a big chunk of her childhood.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:43 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, have the taxpayers continue foot the bill while students flip them off by declaring bankruptcy?

Uh......no.
If the government got out of the student loan business and student loans were dischargeable by bankruptcy, commercial lenders would stop issuing student loans because of the risk. It won't cost taxpayers a dime and would force tuition costs down. The primary cause of the student loan crisis is free money.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:46 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Have congress wave its magic wand and make it so. You know, like it did with healthcare.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:59 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
College is so over rated. It became hip and trendy to blow a bunch of money and be in debt for half your life just so you can display a piece of paper on the wall and proclaim that you’re “an educated person”. Because no college means you’re basically mentally retarded and a peon.
Smart shaming is totally acceptable.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:17 AM

1,263 posts, read 562,391 times
Stop the guaranteed loan payouts. Colleges will increase prices if they known it's being covered. At least as a stopgap, establish some cap (such as the rate of in-state tuition at the public college in the state), which will force private universities to compete or dip into endowment

The covid push for online and distance learning may generate an effect. Students and parents have hopefully figured out that it's nonsense to pay the huge private college rate for an online course that is identical to the ones offered at community College.

Create incentives for the larger 4 year institutions to partner with those 2 year community colleges... everybody wins: community College gets tuition money, 4 year college has a feeder program and should save some overhead cost, students save money.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:25 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Paying for college/university is all kinds of crazy insane expensive. So if we were to really tackle it, what do you think would be the best way? I mean I hear of all these people having $100,000 in debt. Like what the hell? Far as I am concerned college should never cost anything more than $10-20 thousands at worst.
10's of MILLIONS of scholarship money goes un-used every YEAR!

Old 03-01-2022, 07:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Once more - remove government from literally every aspect of college in the US. Every nook, every cranny, every dark corner. Not one penny from any level of government goes to college. No loans, no grants, no state funding, nothing.

College will be far more competitively priced in like 3 seconds. You'd see useless departments, administrators and fluff disappear literally overnight once the government spigots get turned off. Take away the trillionaire guaranteeing the payments no matter what you charge, reestablish competition among providers who now actually have to fight for market share with price in addition to reputation, and watch prices plummet.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:21 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I'm currently navigating this nightmare with 2 kids, an 18 year old son who is not college material and a 16 year old daughter who is.

Post secondary education is a terrible mess outside of college.

My son is not college material but he is trades material. He is a hands on kid who wired a house for a charity for our church at age 17. IE a natural. Look up electrician schools in NJ then go to gradreports.com for the real story. We toured Lincoln tech.... Looks good on google?... then get the students opinions on gradreports... BRUTAL!

Some states have the trades in their community colleges and good for them. Most don't.

You are walking right into the SJW/equity propeller blades. (Agreed with you but...)

Agreed but will take time.

Im going through this now. A lot of these private trades schools suck horribly.

Not sure what to do about tuition cost. My daughter IS college material with an IQ of 140 blah blah blah and I dont have the heart to tell her she may not go. She has a B. Literally ONE B. The rest As as a sophomore. In NJ, less than a 4 point will not qualify you for NJ Stars which is a typical state based 2+2 program. First 2 years at county are free then 2500 off the last 2 years at a 4 year state college.

The classes she takes are BRUTAL. She studies 3 hours a night and... its not enough. Im not going to make her study 5 hours a night. I'm already stealing a big chunk of her childhood.
1. For your son, ask around and see if there are any apprentice programs for plumbers or other such work if electrician is not available. Maybe call up friends or a union hall etc. I can only imagine in NJ how buddy-system it might be to keep out competition that's not family.

2. For your daughter, high SAT\ACT scores can neutralize most of the tuition costs at state schools. Then you can tackle the room and board piece with possibly living at home. Another option is JUCO for 2 years and then transfering. A good JUCO will often have a direct flow into a state university so you know most credits will transfer.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:21 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieL43 View Post
The government needs to get out of the college loan business. They destroyed it, just like they did with housing.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies