Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 03:07 PM

439 posts, read 290,215 times

Advertisements

Paying for college/university is all kinds of crazy insane expensive. So if we were to really tackle it, what do you think would be the best way? I mean I hear of all these people having $100,000 in debt. Like what the hell? Far as I am concerned college should never cost anything more than $10-20 thousands at worst.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Paying for college/university is all kinds of crazy insane expensive. So if we were to really tackle it, what do you think would be the best way? I mean I hear of all these people having $100,000 in debt. Like what the hell? Far as I am concerned college should never cost anything more than $10-20 thousands at worst.
A drop in number of students, compared to other forms of post-secondary education. If college isn't seen as worth it in society, they'll have to cut costs. A massive cut in the faculty numbers at universities (non-professors, the bureaucracy). Probably less research.

Some sort of law, that limits public colleges as government institutions from being so expensive, which would then incentivize private education to lower their prices if you can get in the best California, Virginian, Georgian, Michigan, Texan, New York schools for significantly cheaper.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:16 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
a Doctor that rolls up a $500K tab in medical school to come out and make $400K to start soon off doesn't have a problem with his debt.

So, perhaps the first, and easy, step is to require colleges that take students who are taking on debt to limit what that student pays to a ratio of the current earnings for a graduate in that field.

I mean, if you just stop for a second and think about it - the loans are made to be repaid in 10 years basically, right? And the bankers would tell you that non-housing monthly debt shouldn't be more than ~10% of your income (and 36% total debt once you get a mortgage). I think the debts are running ~5% right now, so ...

Borrow $100K to get through college. Call that $1,061/mo = $12,728/year.

That means your income better be $159K/year if you make the choice to borrow $100K. And so the college should either a) make you take a field of study that yields $160K/year or they need to drop what they charge you to maintain the ratio.

Makes perfect logical sense.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:18 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
Stop guaranteeing loans. End Social science degrees as not everyone belongs in college. Protect the value of the dollar.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:21 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,249 times
For my state's voters to decide that funding higher education is worth higher taxes, but that's never going to happen. I saved religiously and invested aggressively for my kids to attend college, ending up with enough to ensure they would graduate debt-free. The state university they attend/ed cost more per semester than I paid for my entire education at a similar university. I feel fortunate to have been able to do so because that kind of debt would have been crushing for them.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:26 PM

9,515 posts, read 4,346,563 times
1) End government-backed student loans
2) Prohibit loan forgiveness
3) Student loans should be underwritten like any other loan. The ability to get a loan should be based on an assessment of the recipient's ability to afford the loan based on future job prospects and the expected pay for a given job. For example: engineering majors would qualify easily. Fluff majors with poor job prospects could not be financed by student loans.
4) All athletic programs must be completely self-sufficient and funded entirely by ticket sales. This includes stadium construction, security, equipment, and all athletic department (including coaches) salaries.
5) No scholarships for athletics. Academic scholarships only.
6) Eliminate all courses that are simply people playing sports instead of learning anything useful.
7) All donations and government funding must be used for academic purposes, primarily to subsidize value-added majors. In other words, the engineering, business, and nursing, etc. departments would get most of the funds. Departments like English, Math, History, etc. would be tier 2. No funding would be allocated to gender studies, race studies, or any other made-up fake degree.
8) Fake degree programs should be terminated immediately. By fake, I mean nonsense like gender studies.
9) Prohibit incestuous relationships between defense contractors and universities.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:05 PM

25,747 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Privatize ALL of them, but regulate them & minimize the % of students who are taking student loans to avoid fraud, & mandate national testing throughout to insure performance.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:16 PM

92 posts, read 27,954 times
The government needs to get out of the college loan business. They destroyed it, just like they did with housing.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:16 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Cut tuition!

There has been a massive expansion of buildings that are not needed and a logrithmic expansion in bureaucracy at universities.

Cut all the BS staff and don't give every BS admin position a private office and you would significantly cut costs.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,526 times
Subsidize community college and trade schools, each state can make their own arrangements. A couple years of community college will ease the burden of getting a 4 year degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies