Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 07:25 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
College is so over rated. It became hip and trendy to blow a bunch of money and be in debt for half your life just so you can display a piece of paper on the wall and proclaim that you’re “an educated person”. Because no college means you’re basically mentally retarded and a peon.
Smart shaming is totally acceptable.
There is something to that.

I live in a neighborhood populated by gentry liberals and having higher education is the price of acceptance. Luckily, I attended a prestigious college and also have a masters- my Yuppie Union Cards. But the casual snobbery is cringe worthy. They despise anyone who works with their hands and has a "McJob".

Not saying a right leaning area would be different, but I do not reside in one.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:25 AM

89,035 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Subsidize community college and trade schools, each state can make their own arrangements. A couple years of community college will ease the burden of getting a 4 year degree.
Community colleges are already subsidized. They're publicly-funded and nonprofit.

I don't know why more people don't take advantage of that resource if the cost of a college education is an issue. It does take a little bit of planning, though. If a 4-year degree is the goal, make sure the college you want to transfer to after community college has an articulation agreement with the 4-year school and follow the recommended course path EXACTLY as published for your intended major.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:28 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
There is something to that.

I live in a neighborhood populated by gentry liberals and having higher education is the price of acceptance. Luckily, I attended a prestigious college and also have a masters- my Yuppie Union Cards. But the casual snobbery is cringe worthy. They despise anyone who works with their hands and has a "McJob".

Not saying a right leaning area would be different, but I do not reside in one.
Haha! “Yuppie Union Card”
Love it.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:29 AM

588 posts, read 225,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Paying for college/university is all kinds of crazy insane expensive. So if we were to really tackle it, what do you think would be the best way? I mean I hear of all these people having $100,000 in debt. Like what the hell? Far as I am concerned college should never cost anything more than $10-20 thousands at worst.
Ending government backed loans. Large amounts of easy money at low interest rates is the problem.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Community colleges are already subsidized. They're publicly-funded and nonprofit.

I don't know why more people don't take advantage of that resource if the cost of a college education is an issue. It does take a little bit of planning, though. If a 4-year degree is the goal, make sure the college you want to transfer to after community college has an articulation agreement with the 4-year school and follow the recommended course path EXACTLY as published for your intended major.
For those who are still learning about all of this, an articulation agreement establishes a binding partnership agreement between 2-year community colleges and 4-year institutions in order to simplify the transfer process. The transfer agreement outlines the specific major and courses a student completes at the community college that will transfer to the 4-year institution. By following the published transfer student course sequence path, students are able to complete their 2-year degree at the community college with courses that transition for full credit into the 4-year degree of their major. These seamless guides enable students to determine which courses to take and eliminates the guesswork regarding transferability of community college courses to the 4-year school.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:49 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
For those who are still learning about all of this, an articulation agreement establishes a binding partnership agreement between two-year community colleges and four-year institutions in order to simplify the transfer process. The transfer agreement outlines the specific major and courses a student completes at the community college that will transfer to the four-year institution. By following the published transfer student course sequence path, students are able to complete their two-year degree at the community college with courses that transition for full credit into the four-year degree of their major. These seamless guides enable students to determine which courses to take and eliminates the guesswork regarding transferability of community college courses to the 4-year school.
YMMV by state.

NJ is very good at transfers.
My nephew learned the hard way OH sucks at it.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:51 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,498 times
You would need new legislation to force colleges to go back to the older model of how colleges use to be. Nowadays many colleges are run like corporations -- modern colleges are making deals with big companies like Pepsi, Coca Cola, Nike, etc. They're building massive stadiums & amusement venues worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

If a university is spending half a billion dollars for a new football stadium, then that cost will get passed on to the students. The larger universities are trying to create a little Disney Land for students instead of focusing on education.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
YMMV by state.

NJ is very good at transfers.
My nephew learned the hard way OH sucks at it.
That's why you have to PLAN your education before going into it. It's a HUGE mistake to just start taking community college courses thinking they'll automatically transfer to any other school. Look for the specific articulation agreement that aligns with your goals and work off of that.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:53 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Stop offering da guberment loans and raise academic standards . The former causes resources to be wasted. The latter rations them to the people who have academic abilities.

I am just babbling because it will never happen so there is no way...

We will soon need people to have PHDs to benefit from handicap principles. The population crash already underway will worsen because it will delay family formation further so....

Old 03-01-2022, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
a Doctor that rolls up a $500K tab in medical school to come out and make $400K to start soon off doesn't have a problem with his debt.

So, perhaps the first, and easy, step is to require colleges that take students who are taking on debt to limit what that student pays to a ratio of the current earnings for a graduate in that field.

I mean, if you just stop for a second and think about it - the loans are made to be repaid in 10 years basically, right? And the bankers would tell you that non-housing monthly debt shouldn't be more than ~10% of your income (and 36% total debt once you get a mortgage). I think the debts are running ~5% right now, so ...

Borrow $100K to get through college. Call that $1,061/mo = $12,728/year.

That means your income better be $159K/year if you make the choice to borrow $100K. And so the college should either a) make you take a field of study that yields $160K/year or they need to drop what they charge you to maintain the ratio.

Makes perfect logical sense.
After 10 years of payments, the Federal Government forgives the outstanding balance of Direct Student Loans for employees of Federal, state, county and local governments. This includes public school teachers. It also forgives loan balances for employees of qualifying not for profits. This includes most hospitals.

One does not need to be employed by a qualifying entity for 10 years- just 10 years of payments. One does not need to be an MD or RN or a licensed teacher to qualify. The benefit applies to all employees of qualifying institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies