Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2022, 09:57 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And ????

We never had mandates here by city/county/state. Those were all store mandates. Those poor workers had to keep those masks on their entire shift.
Not here. We were always mandated at the county and then state level. We currently have no mask mandates here at all and if a store had/has separate ones, I haven't seen one yet, but I live in an area that is all "chain" type retail and they align with local guidelines; hence, I don't need to ask the store employees why they do or don't have a mask on. For those employees in any given store that are wearing them, which for now appears to be most (not all) of them, it's a personal choice that I assume has to do with their personal feelings toward their risk levels standing in one store for hours. It is a risk for them, more than you or I have and, as I said, they were all pretty hard hit in the beginning when no one was masking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 09:59 AM

43,141 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Not here. We were always mandated at the county and then state level. We currently have no mask mandates here at all and if a store had/has separate ones, I haven't seen one yet, but I live in an area that is all "chain" type retail and they align with local guidelines; hence, I don't need to ask the store employees why they do or don't have a mask on. For those employees in any given store that are wearing them, which for now appears to be most (not all) of them, it's a personal choice that I assume has to do with their personal feelings toward their risk levels standing in one store for hours. It is a risk for them, more than you or I have and, as I said, they were all pretty hard hit in the beginning when no one was masking.
Well employee policies aren't put out on the internet for all to see.
One has to ask the employees unless you are an employee yourself.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:00 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Those poor workers had to keep those masks on their entire shift.

And it definitely was not pleasant.

I've commented to our waiters and waitresses, and without exception so far they are VERY happy to not have to work in masks any more.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:04 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post

Honestly, that’s just stupid. But it is your life, and your decision, and I respect that.
Is it? Are we to wear masks indefinitely?

Old 03-20-2022, 10:07 AM

43,141 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Is it? Are we to wear masks indefinitely?
Some do. But let them do it themselves and not try to force mask mandates because they fear this virus.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:08 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Numbers are low here. I am fully vaxxed. I had a mild case of Covid. I have a healthy, fully vaxxed family. I’m cool with maskless. Although, in my job, I always have worn a mask as PPE so I wear one while working.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:08 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Many of the grocery and retail workers in my area are still masking while the customers are not. I assume they do so because they stand indoors in one HVAC system for several hours a day. Us shoppers are in and out pretty quicky and moving throughout an area. During the early days of COVID, grocery store workers were some of the hardest hit with COVID due to their chronic exposure to the public and the nature of staying indoors being exposed for hours at a time. I don't blame some of them for wanting some added protection. But if they aren't bothered and don't want it, that's fine too.
Well, I'm in retail and that's not my experience or thoughts at all. We wore masks about 3 months in 2020 when required by our city and that was it. Same with the majority of the stores around us. No we were not hard hit and no we did not want to wear masks for extra protection.

If you read the science, well it depends on which science and when and who, keeping a distance of 3-6 feet with a short interaction is safe. Worked for us. None of our employees caught it at the store. Half are still covid free with no vaccines and half got it from other people outside of work.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:12 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
If you are sweating just for wearing a simple mask, then you have some serious issues and should see a doctor. A simple face mask should not cause you THAT much discomfort!
Try wearing one in the Texas summer. If I believed they did much I might wear them. Maybe not though since I feel pretty good about the vaccine.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:44 AM

3,503 posts, read 1,414,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Try wearing one in the Texas summer. If I believed they did much I might wear them. Maybe not though since I feel pretty good about the vaccine.
Masks makes little to no different about how warm someone feels nor does it have little effect on someone’s breathing ability. I think people are just finding excuses to whine and complain about wearing a face mask.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:54 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Many of the grocery and retail workers in my area are still masking while the customers are not. I assume they do so because they stand indoors in one HVAC system for several hours a day. Us shoppers are in and out pretty quicky and moving throughout an area. During the early days of COVID, grocery store workers were some of the hardest hit with COVID due to their chronic exposure to the public and the nature of staying indoors being exposed for hours at a time. I don't blame some of them for wanting some added protection. But if they aren't bothered and don't want it, that's fine too.
I think many of those employees wear masks because their employers require that they do. They can't make it mandatory for customers, at least not in many states, but I don't think there's any law prohibiting mask mandates as a matter of employee policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies