Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 06:24 PM

30,392 posts, read 19,184,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The details are from NATO intelligence softened enough for public consumption.

I get that it's easier to navigate life believing all published information is a lie. I just don't buy that logic.
I was in Iraq and Afghan and discovered most of the news you heard were lies...doesn't give any confidence that anything they put out is accurate. Who knows how many dead Russian soldiers there are, but we won't be told the truth regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 08:14 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times
Well we know that this "Special Military Action" has virtually come to a stalemate and Ukraine is actually conducting counter offenses. Stalemates produce more casualties by there very nature. Russian casualties are high....you can deduce that just from the footage of blown up columns and equipment. Both sides will push their own propaganda, but you do have independent institutions and organizations that are wanting a clear picture of what the positions do the armies hold and their losses. The low end of this is 7K KIA. That's pretty bloody for 4 weeks.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:36 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't trust our Fake News or Fake CIA so really not sure if this is anywhere close to accurate. If true (unlikely), then it is proof of the weakness of the Russian military (which I already knew).
Just look for what Putin says. He always tells the truth.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

My concern is what happens when it is clear Putin can't win on the ground / with regular weapons.
He's Hitler bogged down on the ground, like the Germans in WII, trying to take Russia.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:51 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times
There is absolutly no freaking way Russia has taken 40,000 casualties in 30 days. Absolutely no freaking way.

There is no math on earth whereby it makes any sense that Russian has taken 1,300 casualties a day, every single day since the war broke out. I strongly doubt Russia has taken 10,000 casualties in 30 days, unless you count deserters as casualties.

The headline number is a presposterous lie. Who believes this crap?

Old 03-23-2022, 08:54 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't trust our Fake News or Fake CIA so really not sure if this is anywhere close to accurate. If true (unlikely), then it is proof of the weakness of the Russian military (which I already knew).
The news obviously pushes an agenda, but there is lots of evidence that Russia is suffering massive losses of hardware.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:56 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
There is absolutly no freaking way Russia has taken 40,000 casualties in 30 days. Absolutely no freaking way.

There is no math on earth whereby it makes any sense that Russian has taken 1,300 casualties a day, every single day since the war broke out. I strongly doubt Russia has taken 10,000 casualties in 30 days, unless you count deserters as casualties.

The headline number is a presposterous lie. Who believes this crap?
Casualties include anything that takes military personnel out of service from being killed, to severely wounded, to severe disease, to captured, to disabling mental trauma, to even deserertion.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:58 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Going back to Ivan The Terrible at least the "Russian" capacity to absorb punishment and death is likely second to none. They are very tough people.

The problem with your thesis is the Soviets/Russians NEVER tell the truth about anything. We'll never see useful figures from them about any of this.

I never claimed they do tell the truth. But who or what is honest anymore? Our lying lame stream media? And are there any institutions anymore than aren't being politicized anymore? That's why I wait till multiple sources start posting numbers.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:10 PM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
I remember during the first Cold War some experts felt if NATO could stall or slow an invasion of the west or West Germany for 3-7 days in a conventional war that would be it before it went nuclear or they withdrew/recalled their forces. The Russian military is big but apparently their logistics don't match NATO, They put all the money in shock and awe. Also a big military must be supplied and trained and that's time and money.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:20 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I never claimed they do tell the truth. But who or what is honest anymore? Our lying lame stream media? And are there any institutions anymore than aren't being politicized anymore? That's why I wait till multiple sources start posting numbers.
Our media is FOS about many things. That said passing on info. from a NATO source is much more believable that either guesswork or info from say Pravda or TASS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies