Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 03:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The restrictions who can own are not well thought out. Suppose you have a medical pot card. You can't legally pass the BG check.

So no felon can own one. A guy I know, when he was 21, went upstairs and went to sleep in his bedroom. During the night, a teenage girl who had a crush on him, climbed up the side of his house and in through an open window. She disrobed, climbed into his bed and woke him by manipulating him. They had sex. Later on she got mad and told on him. Back in those days, all it took was the girl's word. He took a plea bargain, plead to a felony and served a year. He could have received 10 years. That was 50 years ago. Never in trouble again. But because of that felony, he can never even posses a hunting rifle. How is that fair?
A lot of gun laws are not well thought out. Especially the Gun Free School Zones Act. As if that is any deterrence for someone who intends to go on a shooting spree on school grounds or within 1000 ft. of it.

Quote:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...90-what-is-it/
What Is The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990?Fighting Gang ViolenceOpposition to The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990
By definition at its introduction to the Senate, the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1990: For the purposes of the law, a school zone extends 1,000 feet beyond the perimeter of school property. The bill allows exceptions for those licensed to carry firearms (only 14 states allowed concealed carry prior to 1990), law enforcement officers and contractors employed and authorized by the school. It also allows carry within private property — homes and businesses — that just so happen to fall within that 1,000-foot
There are probably thousands of public highways, streets and thoroughfares that fall within 1000 ft. of a school zone? If you don't have a state issued permit then it's a federal crime to carry a loaded firearm on your person or in your vehicle within that distance. Punishable by 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine. If you live within that distance once you set foot off of your own private property with a loaded firearm you can be arrested, charged and prosecuted for a federal crime. Same if you get stopped while driving through that distance. Not only that but if found guilty you'll be convicted of a misdemeanor* prohibited by law from owning a firearm. Any guns that you own would more than likely be confiscated.

*Although it is a misdemeanor, a conviction under 18 U.S.C. 922(q) would place you on the federal “prohibited persons” list. This means you would permanently lose your constitutional right to possess or carry a firearm unless you are granted a pardon by the President of the United States. https://www.wklaw.com/possessing-gun-in-a-school-zone/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 04:13 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You filled out a 4473 you registered it to your name forever.
The govt only knows about 3 firearms I have. The rest are hand me downs and cash and carry. I'm a collector.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders.
I do not. If it's to be done, it must be done at the state level. The feds don't have the authority to regulate a private transaction between two residents of the same state, period, end of story on that.

Quote:
The reason I support transfers though an FFL because it's the only way to prove you had nothing to do with that firearm after it left your control.
This is why I replied.

I don't have to prove I had nothing to do with anything at all, ever. If I'm going to be accused of a crime, the state must prove THEIR case.

Quote:
blah blah blah Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal?
THE
STATE
MUST
PROVE
IT.

Frankly, your hypothetical is ridiculous on its face, but you still need to understand why. Also, you watch too many movies or whatever.

I appreciate that you put some thought into this. Most don't do even as much as you did. But you need to do more. MUCH more. And talk to lawyers or something as you're working it out, because your ideas about what the government is, how our freedoms are protected and why they're protected need a lot more development.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:37 PM

1,811 posts, read 900,654 times
Quote:
I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders. I also support increasing the number of FFL's. ATF spent lot of years getting rid of FFLS who operated out of their homes not sure if that is still the case now.

The reason I support transfers though an FFL because it's the only way to prove you had nothing to do with that firearm after it left your control.

The ATF has and can visit you after recovering that gun lets say you sold that gun to someone at a gun show because you bought the gun new from a FFL the serial number will always lead to you. Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal? If you go though an FFL the responsibility is on them to follow the law you have proof because the serial number was recorded in his book. If the ATF visits you simply point them to the FFL you transferred the gun though.
No thanks. Now you’ve opened the door for the ATF to knock on your door and take your firearms whenever they want. I don’t own a single firearm that was bought on a ATF form 4473.
No records, no knocks.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:47 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders. I also support increasing the number of FFL's. ATF spent lot of years getting rid of FFLS who operated out of their homes not sure if that is still the case now.

The ATF has and can visit you after recovering that gun lets say you sold that gun to someone at a gun show because you bought the gun new from a FFL the serial number will always lead to you. Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal? If you go though an FFL the responsibility is on them to follow the law you have proof because the serial number was recorded in his book. If the ATF visits you simply point them to the FFL you transferred the gun though.
All my FFLs work out of their house and this is CA so I don't think that's an issue in any State. I'm an FFL but need to buy my way to a 01 if I decide to do this when I retire.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I think it is 2% or was the last time I saw it.
You are slightly off. More like 0.07%.

If it were 2%, no self respecting criminal would buy a gun from a dealer.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:54 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
No, we should not have FFLs.

The purpose of an FFL is to make sure you pass certain tests and have certain characteristics when you want to buy a gun.

And if you don't pass, they are to deny you the sale.

BINGO - instant Constitutional violation, right there.

The 2nd amendment does NOT say, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless the person doesn't fulfill various qualifications nor fill out the proper forms."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
You sound like some one that cant buy a gun legally.
I'm not responsible for your delusions and wrong conclusions.
Quote:
I have no problem waiting for a back ground check. It weeds out the people that shouldnt have a gun.
See the part of my post that already answers this confused and deranged statement, plus many others like it. I colored it blue, to help confused person such as yourself notice it. Looks like you missed it anyway. Better luck next time.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
No thanks. Now you’ve opened the door for the ATF to knock on your door and take your firearms whenever they want. I don’t own a single firearm that was bought on a ATF form 4473.
No records, no knocks.
The ATF are enemies of the Constitution...but its important to keep in mind, WHY they have such strict and tough laws on Class 3 firearms...that is obvious...Govt is SCARED TO DEATH of regular citizens having the SAME grade of weapons as military/ law enforcement!!!

Old 04-25-2022, 02:35 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
No.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:19 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The only thing that any of this does, including the endless other regulations and nonsense, is make it more difficult for those who would not abuse their right to bear arms.

That's it.

"Responsible gun ownership" is never geared towards criminals - because criminals do not obey the law. This would also not stop them from disobeying the law.

There should be NO regulations, NO fees, NO background checks, NO red flag laws - none of it.

None of these have done a damn thing to stop gun violence by those who insist on using guns to settle their differences.

The government is not interested in which weapon is most commonly used for homicide. They are only interested in being a giant pain in the ass to those who want to arm themselves. And there is one reason, and one reason only for that: Because the government knows that they can't ride roughshod over the citizens, and do every last thing that they want while there are millions of gun owners out there. Which they would, given the chance.

The argument that 'Well, the police and military would outgun all of you' that some like to trot out, is complete BS. Many of them won't destroy their own countrymen. They will disobey orders. The others...yeah, we have a big military, and we have powerful weapons, but they won't outnumber the multiple millions of gun owners in this country who ALSO have military and/or police backgrounds, should the government decide it wants to get froggy.
"NO background checks"

On this, I disagree.

When the police think you committed a crime you are arrested, hence giving up your freedom.

If you HAVE been convicted your "freedom" under, "The RIGHT to keep an bear arms" has been revoked.

I have no problem with a background check, as long as it is instantaneous.

When a police officer stops you for a traffic violation, he can INSTANTLY check your entire criminal record, even from other sates.

There is no reason gun dealers cannot do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies