Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 11:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Of course. That and I think background checks need to be tied into medical histories. Not only mental cases but opiate addicted. I've seen far too many addicts brag about buying guns which is a federal crime.
Medical records are already reported in the background check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 11:44 AM

2,612 posts, read 930,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders. I also support increasing the number of FFL's. ATF spent lot of years getting rid of FFLS who operated out of their homes not sure if that is still the case now.

The reason I support transfers though an FFL because it's the only way to prove you had nothing to do with that firearm after it left your control.

The ATF has and can visit you after recovering that gun lets say you sold that gun to someone at a gun show because you bought the gun new from a FFL the serial number will always lead to you. Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal? If you go though an FFL the responsibility is on them to follow the law you have proof because the serial number was recorded in his book. If the ATF visits you simply point them to the FFL you transferred the gun though.
No, government licensing shouldnt be needed to purchase and sell products.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:46 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The biggest gun store around here has over 30 pages listing out-of-stock guns. Are guns just selling that well or are they having production problems?
Probably both but any guns or ammo that come in here locally goes POOF! Primers are still rare and gun powder? Forget it.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Again, get back to me when Molotov cocktails are the most used murder weapon.
Since it "doesn't really matter to you either way and you honestly DGAF about the whole gun debate" then why are you still trying to argue your asinine point? mmkay?

My whole point is that you can easily kill a bunch of people with a Molotov cocktail as you can with a gun. You just don't get that? So using your logic there should be just as many laws and regulations regarding the sale, use and possession of gasoline, matches, knives, blunt objects or any other devise or substance that can be used to kill or maim either one individual or a hundred. mmkay?

We already have thousand's of laws that address both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms. Yet people are still committing crimes with them. We already have thousands of laws that address every conceivable crime that anyone could possibly imagine. What makes you think that piling on more laws will solve the problem? We do not need any more laws PERIOD! mmkay?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-24-2022 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 12:13 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
No, we should not have FFLs.

The purpose of an FFL is to make sure you pass certain tests and have certain characteristics when you want to buy a gun.

And if you don't pass, they are to deny you the sale.

BINGO - instant Constitutional violation, right there.

The 2nd amendment does NOT say, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless the person doesn't fulfill various qualifications nor fill out the proper forms."

You sound like some one that cant buy a gun legally. And please, there's no need to give us all the statistics on crimes by guns bought legal and illegally. I've bought several. I have no problem waiting for a back ground check. It weeds out the people that shouldnt have a gun. You cant pass a BG check, buy it illegally like most criminals or people with a record. If the NRA had their way, you'd get a free handgun with your next fill up of gas.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:16 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
You sound like some one that cant buy a gun legally. And please, there's no need to give us all the statistics on crimes by guns bought legal and illegally. I've bought several. I have no problem waiting for a back ground check. It weeds out the people that shouldnt have a gun. You cant pass a BG check, buy it illegally like most criminals or people with a record. If the NRA had their way, you'd get a free handgun with your next fill up of gas.
Shouldn't isn't can't buy. Anyone that wants a gun bad enough will get one. It's become another money grab on law abiding. I'm more concerned about the flood of criminals, guns and drugs running across our border.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders. I also support increasing the number of FFL's. ATF spent lot of years getting rid of FFLS who operated out of their homes not sure if that is still the case now.

The reason I support transfers though an FFL because it's the only way to prove you had nothing to do with that firearm after it left your control.

The ATF has and can visit you after recovering that gun lets say you sold that gun to someone at a gun show because you bought the gun new from a FFL the serial number will always lead to you. Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal? If you go though an FFL the responsibility is on them to follow the law you have proof because the serial number was recorded in his book. If the ATF visits you simply point them to the FFL you transferred the gun though.
Yes, I would support it if you can make criminals follow this law too.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
The background check is the dumbest thing ever.

If someone can’t pass a background check, why would you want him to walk around?

Old 04-24-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes, I would support it if you can make criminals follow this law too.
Just a minor detail.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The background check is the dumbest thing ever.

If someone can’t pass a background check, why would you want him to walk around?
Just another minor little detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies