Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 12:04 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
The first part of her statement would contradict your assertion that she is not moaning. Here Serena, I'll be your "not moaning" speech writer:

"It's a unique conundrum that women athletes face that the biologically driven desire to personally expand the family often runs counter to the personal desire to maximize one's athletic potential. Men are fortunate to not be impacted by these conflicting desires."

In your opinion.

In the context you choose to apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
yea its the same. Its the biological reality. I am NOT mad at SW. Certainly I am not taking the position that a lot are attacking her here.

my point is we have reached such a point of stupidity in society that a woman is on solid ground saying it isnt fair that men dont have to deal with pregnancy. That is a societal issue. THAT is a problem.

And yea. Its exactly the same biological reality that causes MEN to go to war and die.... and its the SAME biological issue that leads women to teach elementary school while men climb electrical poles to fix our electrical grid. THOSE are BIOLOGICAL realities.

I am all about making sure impediments are removed from whatever group has them in their way, when those impediments were placed there by a society that creates false impediments.

I am NOT on board with nonsense that takes biological realties and turns them into "issues" that need to be addressed.

This is certainly one of those.

One of the best single moms I've ever encountered does that for a living. And she was only a single mom because her husband had a long illness and died....and she took care of him, and her kid, and worked at that profession...mixing all of that together, and made it work while that was the case.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It goes both ways.

When I was active duty, Air Force SSgt (mid-grade NCO), I had a wife and baby and intended to get a commission as an officer.

Then my wife decided she wanted to be single and left me with the baby.

That killed my plan to get a commission, because while the Air Force would allow me to continue as an enlisted single parent, I would not be accepted into officer training as a single parent. Well, that was the situation, and that was 43 years ago.

Shizzle happens to your career when you have children and you're the primary caregiver.

If you're not the primary caregiver, shizzle still happens, just a different kind of shizzle. A working parent at high levels of income is giving twice or more as much time to that occupation than a working parent at the median income. The more "celebrated" you are, father or mother, the less time you get being a father or mother.

What celebration do most fathers get after a lifetime providing for his family? No statues. No Wikipedia pages. The vast majority of working fathers get nothing over a lifetime of work except an obituary: "...survived by his loving wife and children." That's it. That's all the "celebration" the vast majority of fathers will get.

Some will also get love, appreciation, and admiration from the child which, IMO, is sometimes so precious it defies or almost defies being quantified.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Guys -- stop -- you cannot speak to physically having a baby and what it does to your body.

She's not talking about losing family time.

She's talking about the physical constraints put on women athletes when they choose to have a baby.

and ehs'e not resentful, bitter feeling sorry for herself.

Just speaking the truth.

But stop it isn't the same as you folks who had to make a career choice to spend more time with your family.

IMO, many of thees critics know that, they just don't like her politics, and they don't like a lot of other things that would probably be against the TOS to point out.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I know.

Apparently it's not enough.

Then why would you equate playing with 'the ability to make child support' ?

Old 08-11-2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
On what basis? Where are you getting your information? That's one the most narcissistic statements I've ever seen.

Being pregnant and bringing life into the world is a miracle. It's THE most amazing thing a woman can do.

Literally growing and sustaining another human being. Incredible.

And you think it's a garbage experience??? Feminism 101. Debase motherhood at EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

Some posters need to get out of their social feedback loops. The feedback loops are presenting a perception of the world that is false.

Oh, the irony.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I guess that's the thing.

What is fair about life?

How can any multi-millionaire complain that life was not fair to her, when her complaints are a result of her own decisions to be happier with her life? She had a choice: More fame and money or a larger family. Is life unfair because she had to make that choice?

She had to make a choice between two good things. Two good things. She was going to continue to lead a blessed life either way.

How is that not fair?

"Not fair" would be a necessary choice between two evils. If a woman had to choose between carrying a child to term that is known will die soon after birth, or aborting the child early...she could say that was unfair.

But having to choose between two good things? That's not unfair.

You see what she said as a complaint.

Many others do not, instead seeing it as a statement of what is, with no other intent attached.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Good grief all she was saying is it not fair having a child, pregnancy, interrupts a female athlete's competition. Your reading too much into it. She was competing when she was pregnant with her first child, she was competing when she was breastfeeding her child. These things put women at a disadvantage, she knows first hand, thats all she is saying.
She made a choice due to her age and wanting another child and she is fine with it. Why is it so awful that she will miss something she have devoted her life to. Her life is changing, there are emotions.

This ^^^^^.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
serena had a very successful, long professional career. the sport of tennis provided her a $200 million fortune. she has a husband who loves her. she has a healthy daughter.

instead of being grateful for all these things above, she is whining?
No, she isn't.

See post #188.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:00 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You see what she said as a complaint.

Many others do not, instead seeing it as a statement of what is, with no other intent attached.
"...it's not fair" is a complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies