Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 09:12 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/09/sere...box=1660064345

I truly hate to be so vulgar, but Moderator cut: then don’t be, please, Ms. Williams! You are a world renowned tennis champion, who holds many records and awards. Yet, you still find some way to be a victim...

Sigh.
Yep, it's pretty disturbing that a multi-millionaire athlete thinks she is a "victim," when most people are struggling to pay for food and gas. It's even more disturbing that the media (and popular culture) play along and enable this kind of dribble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 09:15 AM

36,545 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Now, if Tom Brady gets hurt and winds up being forced to retire, guys aren't going to play any violins for him, either.

We'll just say, "He should have kept his old azz at home."
Who is playing violins. Seems to me people are attacking her and calling her a complaining, moaning, whining ingrate because she is going to miss the tennis circuit.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, exactly. Even if she wasn't going to try to have a child, how much longer would she have been able to compete?
Maybe 5 years at best.
I would bet most of these posters havent bothered to read her article in Vogue. The linked article only plucked a few sentences from SW's own article. The approach is akin to those who don't even read linked articles but have strong negative opinions based on misleading titles of the threads.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:20 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who is playing violins. Seems to me people are attacking her and calling her a complaining, moaning, whining ingrate because she is going to miss the tennis circuit.
Actually they are calling her a "complaining, moaning, whining ingrate" because they need to put her down to make themselves feel better. Allegedly grown folks that wont comprehend what they read with the mentality of high schoolers. Shame really.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
She's 40 and hasn't won anything in 5 years and hurt herself at the last match.

She's already over the hill. She also has a kid so she went through this already.
IMHO I think this is just her excuse for retiring, which she should have done years ago.

40 is over the hill for tennis.
I'm sure her age has a lot to do with it. Forty-one is on the older side although a few have lasted until 46-47. She has also had health issues. So yes, wanting to have another child seals the deal. I'm sure she is not the only athlete that has had regrets of having to let go.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odjebi View Post
there is no difference kid is born. both have same responsability father and mother. men tennis player can get injured and be out for 9 months.
Do you know how babies get here?

Old 08-11-2022, 09:33 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,968,764 times
Can't she just declare that she is a guy nowadays? Problem solved!

Old 08-11-2022, 09:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Actually they are calling her a "complaining, moaning, whining ingrate" because they need to put her down to make themselves feel better. Allegedly grown folks that wont comprehend what they read with the mentality of high schoolers. Shame really.
i wonder how many of these posters who are putting serena down are men! So typical of that gender.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:37 AM

1,701 posts, read 615,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe 5 years at best.
I would bet most of these posters havent bothered to read her article in Vogue. The linked article only plucked a few sentences from SW's own article. The approach is akin to those who don't even read linked articles but have strong negative opinions based on misleading titles of the threads.
Since it sounds like you have read the entire article and are an expert on it. Please tell us exactly what her point was.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Her ability to whine about the biology of having a child as she is forced to "retire" at 40. Her ability to routinely throw temper tantrums during every match if she starts losing. Naomi Osaka has far more class.
Stating a fact is not whining. She did not say she was forced to retire at 40. She made the decision to retire at 41 due to several factors. I would guess her age and health issues contributed to the decision. She said their desire to have another child was the main reason for her decision.

So all the other athletes who through tantrums are garbage people too. There are a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies