Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
He's got several jobs and over 5,000 posts here since September. He must have long lunch hours...and wasn't the topic about the energy crisis? pghquest, am I correct on this or is this just another "feeling?" Am I assuming correctly that you weren't reading what you wanted to read and that's why you started going off about welfare?
Since I'm self employed and run internet companies, I can post when I want, but please try to be factual. When did I go off about welfare exactly? Please attempt to stop making things up as you go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sure.. I gve him a pass because no one has yet to come up with a valid explination as to what BUSH did, to cause the price of oil to increase, not only here in the USA, but elsewhere.
As always, your "facts" are conveniently filtered through your political perspective, which skews all of them to show Bush and his cronies in the mast favorable light. Your charade of impartiality is transparent.

Quote:
Sure.. while you are totally ignorant of the fact that Democrats were elected two years ago under the promise that they will cut oil prices, the cost has continued to go up 60% since they were elected.
Try this fact on for size:

Over the past two months, three special elections have been held for congressional seats. All three were in longtime Republican strongholds, including Hastert's district. All three drew heavy support from the national Republican machine. All three seats went to Democrats.

Yet you steadfastly cling to a rosy vision of Republican chastity and Democratic dishonesty.

Quote:
I hold people accountable to their promises,
You selectively hold the opposition party to account, while dismissing any and all criticism and blunders by your own.

Quote:
and understand that the promise they made 2 years ago could not be fufilled because the government can not, and do not regulate or dictate the price of oil. Only when liberals understand this, we can start to look at real solutions to our energy problems because the energy consumption problem isnt government related, but the answer is because of regulations put upon those in a position to help.
You're hopelessly and shamelessly blind to anything not conforming to your preferences. Reality is harshly in conflict with your opinion. But by all means continue to spin.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Since I'm self employed and run internet companies, I can post when I want, but please try to be factual. When did I go off about welfare exactly? Please attempt to stop making things up as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
Get a job? Why shouldnt you be all about supporting my ability to live off of welfare? Why I was homeless once, doesnt that mean that the government should support me?
This is made up, I suppose?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I guess you forgot to read the fine print of the pic you posted - tax-write off enacted by CONGRESS in March 2002

And you can place the blame regarding energy crisis squarely on the shoulders of the dems/libs/envirowackos. We can't even tap into the abundant supply of oil we have on our own soil. Can't drill in the winter wasteland of ANWAR, can't drill in the Gulf, Colorado, etc, etc, etc. Can't build new refinieries ( cause the permit/regulations that the dems/libs have put in place are severe). Can't go nuclear (even though it is "clean" energy). Coal is bad, bad, bad. Even clean coal.

Yet they cry and whine about the price of gas.

Of course, elitists like Edwards and Gore, somehow are exempt as they tool around their 20000sf mansions and private jets.
One very simple thing for you to look up: which party controlled Congress in 2002?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
One very simple thing for you to look up: which party controlled Congress in 2002?
Hint: It is often referred to by a three-letter acronym that starts with "G" and ends in "P." No, you may not buy a vowel; you gotta solve the puzzle.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Hint: It is often referred to by a three-letter acronym that starts with "G" and ends in "P." No, you may not buy a vowel; you gotta solve the puzzle.
touche!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
He is making a fortune off these prices. His entire family is in the oil business. Its not in his or his fellow stockholder's best interests to bring the prices down. Why do you think he is in such support of free speculation? Why do you think he was so against the electric car, a proven technology, in favor of the impractical fuel cell? Why was he so supportive of giant tax breaks on massive SUVs yet none on fuel-efficient vehicles? These gas prices are nothing but a result of 8 years of Bush policy. We were moving forward as a nation in the 90s, and we have lost all of that progress and then some over the course of this decade.

If Al Gore would have been elected, demand would be greatly curtailed by this point. Many people would be driving electric cars and fuel efficient gas cars and we would be on our way to energy independence.
LOL - as I read the post right above this one, I was convinced I should write something about "If Gore was elected, things would have been different"... but then I read on and your post was next in line bchris! You eloquently wrote some of what needed to be written.

To all those who keep replying to this thread that Bush has had nothing to do with the gas price increases, you are absolutely wrong. Bush, and his father both laughed at and ridiculed both Gore and Gore's ideas (and anyone who supported them) for the past 20+ years. Bush Jr. has just proven himself to be an idiot (yea I suppose someday someone could come back to me on that comment and I might declare how this was just an emotional outburst at a snapshot in time ).

Had we begun any of the changes necessary to our energy policy back in 2001 we would have been much better off than we are today - we'd actually have wind farms and alternative energy sources already coming onto line. We'd actually have tax incentives for driving fuel efficient vehicles rather than for large SUVs and trucks. We might even had invested the trillion or so dollars of the Iraq war effort domestically into building up US infrastructure instead (more public transportation projects perhaps? - electric trains? etc).

If Bush Senior hadn't been President himself, we would've had even more of a head start alleviating the US from the Saudi oil dependance. It's a pathetic situation we find ourselves within right now. Can it be rectified? Of course it can! We just need to learn from history and stop voting into office politicians who like the status quo because it makes them a pile of money and is convenient. We need to stop voting into office people who just want to forcefully police the rest of the world using our military forces, and our national guard units. Lastly, we need to stop electing people into office because they express a particular brand of "faith" rather than because they have a particular track record of success and a measure of brilliance suggestive that they can help resolve current domestic problems.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 AM

The status quo will never change as long as the people in charge are making money.

Get the oil people out of power, and this problem can be solved. Problem is, this year might be our last chance.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,659 times
Dont blame me, I didnt vote for the pile of ---- either time, the time he stole it (2000) and the time he apparently narrowly won it, maybe (2004).

Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Just a few months "The Idiot" was interrupting national prime-time television on a weekly basis to sell the bogus war he inititiated. Fast forward 4 months or so, and now the American people are faced with the worst gasoline price increases IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES. Now, where is "The Idiot"? Why isn't "The Idiot" interrupting prime time television now... for a good reason...at a time when the American people need leadership to provide them with reassurance, confidence and answers during these tough times?

"The Idiot" has spoken. He is and always has been A WAR PRESIDENT, that is why he was "put" into office, that is what he will go down in history as. Sadly, I believe that as of right now, the country does not have a President...Washington D.C. is simply operating on cruise-control until the new administration (Please God, Not McCain) steps in and turn things around...hopefully.
Once again the myth that is liberal tolerance rears it's ugly head. How embarrassing that a grown adult would refer to the POTUS of his/her country as an "idiot" simply based on ideology. What has happened to civility and respect, people? What a disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies