Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
How embarrassing that a grown adult would refer to the POTUS of his/her country as an "idiot" simply based on ideology.
This standard must have been different 10 years ago when it was a different set of people calling the president an idiot, if not worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Once again the myth that is liberal tolerance rears it's ugly head. How embarrassing that a grown adult would refer to the POTUS of his/her country as an "idiot" simply based on ideology. What has happened to civility and respect, people? What a disgrace.
Bush has established the reputation of "idiot" through his own actions and speech. It has now become a matter of common knowledge. He isn't an idiot because of some poster's opinion on this forum. He's an idiot because he's proven himself to be on many occasions.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM

He was not being subliminable with us when projecting his double-digit IQ. I don't think we're misunderestimating him, Hispanically or otherwise.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
LOL - as I read the post right above this one, I was convinced I should write something about "If Gore was elected, things would have been different"... but then I read on and your post was next in line bchris! You eloquently wrote some of what needed to be written.

To all those who keep replying to this thread that Bush has had nothing to do with the gas price increases, you are absolutely wrong. Bush, and his father both laughed at and ridiculed both Gore and Gore's ideas (and anyone who supported them) for the past 20+ years. Bush Jr. has just proven himself to be an idiot (yea I suppose someday someone could come back to me on that comment and I might declare how this was just an emotional outburst at a snapshot in time ).

Had we begun any of the changes necessary to our energy policy back in 2001 we would have been much better off than we are today - we'd actually have wind farms and alternative energy sources already coming onto line. We'd actually have tax incentives for driving fuel efficient vehicles rather than for large SUVs and trucks. We might even had invested the trillion or so dollars of the Iraq war effort domestically into building up US infrastructure instead (more public transportation projects perhaps? - electric trains? etc).

If Bush Senior hadn't been President himself, we would've had even more of a head start alleviating the US from the Saudi oil dependance. It's a pathetic situation we find ourselves within right now. Can it be rectified? Of course it can! We just need to learn from history and stop voting into office politicians who like the status quo because it makes them a pile of money and is convenient. We need to stop voting into office people who just want to forcefully police the rest of the world using our military forces, and our national guard units. Lastly, we need to stop electing people into office because they express a particular brand of "faith" rather than because they have a particular track record of success and a measure of brilliance suggestive that they can help resolve current domestic problems.
I completely agree. I wish Gore was running today. He's the only man who can fix this mess. Neither of the two Democrats running now are up to the task.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM

196 posts, read 208,545 times
Quote:
Once again the myth that is liberal tolerance rears it's ugly head. How embarrassing that a grown adult would refer to the POTUS of his/her country as an "idiot" simply based on ideology. What has happened to civility and respect, people? What a disgrace.

wow does that blow your mind? you dont get out much obviously, take a walk thru the hood or the federal projects, they got other names for him tattoo'd on their ankles....

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
I don't see a whole lot of respect on this forum for simple things as alternative lifestyles, which have nothing to do w/anyone else. So until people start showing respect for private matters, you're not going to see me or many others showing respect for issues that affect EVERYONE.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,337,548 times
It isn't about wind farms and solar panels, or what a different President might have done with tax breaks or subsidies. The problem is much larger and hardly limited to whoever happens to be president.

This is exactly why I fear, and the only reason I would ever fear, the US having serious problems. We're going to spend a good chunk of the next few years blaming Bush or fighting over some other trivial items in the budget.

Everyone must participate (like a real war effort, or like the small pox vaccination program) and be willing to sacrifice a little (in terms of conservation) while we find a solution to oil addiction. I bet you a gallon of gas the best solution won't come from government. I bet the guys who find it will be operating under a subsidy or tax break though. The market will work, and it's ok to help it along, but you'll never find solutions by writing laws.

I'm not even a peak oil theory guy either. I just think it's dumb to run full speed ahead for the last 40 years without looking over the hill.

Plus, I can't imagine any better way to fight radicals in the middle east than taking away their money. Sure, they are low budget ops, and sure, they're going to get really mad and behave worse for a while once they're all poor and hungry. But repeating the same thing over and over only to expect different results is.... well you know the answer.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Bush has established the reputation of "idiot" through his own actions and speech. It has now become a matter of common knowledge. He isn't an idiot because of some poster's opinion on this forum. He's an idiot because he's proven himself to be on many occasions.
That doesn't say much about the dems/libs he has beaten politically, does it?

The guy is far from an idiot. Just because he can't speak well and his mannerisms on camera come off as...goofy....big deal.

He's gotten his tax cuts, his judges, his war (and the funding). He's gotten a lot of what he wanted.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He's gotten a lot of what he wanted.
Does the $133/bbl crude prices fall into that list of what he's got that he wanted?

To be fair, Curious George himself is a dolt, but Karl Rove and the minds that brought him to power are rather genius.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That doesn't say much about the dems/libs he has beaten politically, does it?

The guy is far from an idiot. Just because he can't speak well and his mannerisms on camera come off as...goofy....big deal.

He's gotten his tax cuts, his judges, his war (and the funding). He's gotten a lot of what he wanted.

He got his way as long as he had a rubber-stamp congress.

Maybe idiot isn't the proper term...

Perhaps self-made moron is more descriptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies