Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
...Shooting an intruder with a knife or other non-projectile weapon may/may not be considered as justification for using deadly force...
DAMNED if that knife didn't look like a gun, officer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:45 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
In the dark, any weapon in an intruder's hand can look like a handgun. Good answer! Just be sure to shut off any lights before you fire! BTW, I am not being flippant about using deadly force against another human being, I was a Platoon Sargent with the 4thID in Viet-Nam (Plieku Provence) during 1967-68. I consider taking another person's life to be a reprehensible, but necessary action when my life or the lives of my fellow troops or loved ones are on the line.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Question? Has any OP, other than my myself, actually killed a person close up so that you can see the terror in their eyes before they die? Does any OP know what it really feels like to kill another human being? Answers please.

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 08-04-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Edit text.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM

Nope, not me.

I do know someone here (c-d forum) who has been in a self-defense situation and had to shoot (and kill) the other person.

I don't want to kill anybody...hell, even though I swear I'm gonna run over one of those stupid geese with my car, I always chicken out at the last second lol.

I feel confident, though, that if my life or my family's life were on the line it'd be a no-brainer. The lioness will take over (Lord willin').

Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Nope, not me.

I do know someone here (c-d forum) who has been in a self-defense situation and had to shoot (and kill) the other person.

I don't want to kill anybody...hell, even though I swear I'm gonna run over one of those stupid geese with my car, I always chicken out at the last second lol.

I feel confident, though, that if my life or my family's life were on the line it'd be a no-brainer. The lioness will take over (Lord willin').
I hope that you would have the guts to do the right thing at the right time. My first experience at taking a human life happened over 40 years ago, and it still haunts me to this very day. They say, that the first is the hardest, and the rest gets easier! Bulls***! They all leave a lasting impression on your mind and body!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Not to mention that I'd hope that (God forbid) the first would be the last and there'd be no "rest" lol...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
I hope that you would have the guts to do the right thing at the right time. My first experience at taking a human life happened over 40 years ago, and it still haunts me to this very day. They say, that the first is the hardest, and the rest gets easier! Bulls***! They all leave a lasting impression on your mind and body!
I am fortunate enough to have never been in your position and can't imagine how hard that would be, but I have had a family member hurt by criminals. That haunts me to this day. I can't say for sure exactly how I would respond because you really can't predict something as horrific as that, but my mindset is that it's not either me (family and dog included) or them; it's them.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Question? Has any OP, other than my myself, actually killed a person close up so that you can see the terror in their eyes before they die? Does any OP know what it really feels like to kill another human being? Answers please.
Yes Steve I do................stand up gun fight at 9 feet.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I am fortunate enough to have never been in your position and can't imagine how hard that would be, but I have had a family member hurt by criminals. That haunts me to this day. I can't say for sure exactly how I would respond because you really can't predict something as horrific as that, but my mindset is that it's not either me (family and dog included) or them; it's them.
I'm sorry that your family has been the victim of criminal violence, far too many families have lost family members to mayhem and violence, particularly in the inner cities. It's necessary to have the instinct for your survival and the protection of your loved ones and members of your family and household, the rest is just pure reaction, your muscles react before your mind has time to consider the consequences of your actions. In this case, is matter over mind.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Yes Steve I do................stand up gun fight at 9 feet.
That is about as close to death as you ever want to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies