Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

When I was getting done what needs to be done to get a concealed weapons permit one of the most disturbing questions asked was this:
If you have a gun in your hand and are being threatened, are you truly willing to kill someone to protect yourself or family? Can you follow this action all the way to the end?

I honestly had to go home, think about it before I answered yes.

Do I want to? No. Do I pray every day that I would never be in this situation? Yes

I truly feel for those who have had to go thru this. But to protect my family...yes I would shoot the gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I'm sorry that your family has been the victim of criminal violence, far too many families have lost family members to mayhem and violence, particularly in the inner cities. It's necessary to have the instinct for your survival and the protection of your loved ones and members of your family and household, the rest is just pure reaction, your muscles react before your mind has time to consider the consequences of your actions. In this case, is matter over mind.
Thanks.
I agree on the instinct. I think awareness and an understanding that there are people who will hurt others for no reason are also important.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 75,590 times
I think I would have the guts to shoot somebody, but to kill someone with a butter knife?

That's just being cruel.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Thanks.
I agree on the instinct. I think awareness and an understanding that there are people who will hurt others for no reason are also important.
I agree--and the concept that if someone is willing to break into your home, their conscience isn't really a factor. And if you think he's willing to hurt you or your family, you're probably not going to negotiate your way out of it, except via the "sucking chest wound" method.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I agree--and the concept that if someone is willing to break into your home, their conscience isn't really a factor. And if you think he's willing to hurt you or your family, you're probably not going to negotiate your way out of it, except via the "sucking chest wound" method.
Indeed. I assume that if they're coming into my home, their plan is to either kill or do serious damage to me or my family.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I was with you until you threw in the old domestic violence part. That violence will occur regardless of what weapon is used.
I agree however that too many folks buy a hand gun shoot a few rounds and pronounce themselves the master of the weapon.
It may occur regardless, but it's much more frequently fatal when a gun is involved.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Question? Has any OP, other than my myself, actually killed a person close up so that you can see the terror in their eyes before they die? Does any OP know what it really feels like to kill another human being? Answers please.
Never killed anyone, but I had an experience in my early twenties that gave me some limited insight. I had an altercation with a fellow I worked with in the oilfields that resulted in a serious fight. Without going into too much detail, he had a criminal record (A&B), a dishonorable discharge from the Navy for drugs, we had exchanged unfriendly words several times and at the culmination of our mutual ill will this guy threw a hammer at me either with intent of injuring me or in complete ignorance of how seriously he could have. One thing led to another, he was pinned on his back and I was choking him. I could have killed him and never given it a second thought, what stopped me was the certainty of being caught and found to be guilty of some level of homicide. I don't know for certain because I have never crossed that line, but I think the situation dictates what ghosts will follow you. For example, I really believe that killing an intruder threatening your brood is probably about as significant as killing a dog doing the same. Protection of your family is a right granted in the laws of the state, in the bible and by nature.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
When I was getting done what needs to be done to get a concealed weapons permit one of the most disturbing questions asked was this:
If you have a gun in your hand and are being threatened, are you truly willing to kill someone to protect yourself or family? Can you follow this action all the way to the end?

I honestly had to go home, think about it before I answered yes.

Do I want to? No. Do I pray every day that I would never be in this situation? Yes

I truly feel for those who have had to go thru this. But to protect my family...yes I would shoot the gun.
Thank you. That is exactly the correct process that any gun owner needs to ask him/herself when they acquire a weapon for personal/family protection. Can I pull the trigger and drop the hammer when my life and the life of my loved ones depend upon my reaction to a threat that "may" result in the death of another person? If you can't honestly answer "yes" to that question, please do not bring a weapon into your household that you can not or will not use in a time of need. You are more of a danger to yourself and others should you choose to do so without the intent of using a handgun for its intended purpose, that is to kill another human being.

Any gun owner who does not take a safety course (The NRA sponsors such courses, check the NRA website for locations) is a danger to him/herself and other family/household members.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
I just cant believe that "I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family" option is winning...
You dont care about your family?
If someone breaks in to my house I shot first ask latter...

Last edited by cjma79; 08-04-2008 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Question? Has any OP, other than my myself, actually killed a person close up so that you can see the terror in their eyes before they die? Does any OP know what it really feels like to kill another human being? Answers please.
I know you asked another this question but, you asked a fair question.

I have shot and killed an intruder in my home - and watched him die. It is not an experience I would like to go through again -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies