Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times

Advertisements

my problem with WIC is that they don't require proof of residency in order to get the benefits. I don't even want to think about all the illegals out there abusing that system. I see so many system abusers where I live it's sickening. you know where I'm at. I live in the roughest section of this town, and I see the 500lb women using the government debit card while chatting away on their cell phone with bluetooth. it's enough to make you want to puke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well, like I said, its more my way of keeping my children out of the system as much as possible. I hate the fact that from the moment they were born the government had already assigned them a number. Plus, I like to stand on my own two feet. I am not adverse to accepting help if I need it, but I am not a hand out kind of guy. I prefer a nice small friendly loan I can pay back in time and feel proud that I did right by my word. Now a mortgage right off might be a different story, but I rent so I can't take advantage of that. Besides, I feel that mortgage right off is owed to all homeowners because of the simple fact that the system is set up now to where you will never truly own your home. You may pay off the bank, but the local tax collectors will have their hands for tax money until the day you die. And if you go to long without paying, they will take your home and property. So by all means homeowners, get all you can get. Oh, and I have taken advantage of a child oriented program since my children were born. I used WIC for both children while they were on formula. That stuff is expensive as hell and if the state will help then I figure heck, I paid in some of that money anyway. It's not like they give you enough to last all month or anything, but every little bit helps, especially when your child has to drink one of those special high-dollar formulas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,215 times
Because as a group, we voted (or voted for those who decided) to have our tax laws set up this way. So, in essence "Because we said so!"

In this country, we have the RIGHT to have as many or as few children as we want. Do you now suggest that right be taken away from citizens? (not that there shouldn't be a test before people have kids, but that's a different thread altogether!)

As far as you eating caviar and whatnot, the point I was making was all things being equal, it costs more to feed a family than it does a single person. Being the 5th of 8 kids, I know for a FACT that hand-me-downs only go so far, government food is hideous-but nutritious AND that's why we chose to only have 2 kids.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
if you are saying that it costs more to feed a family than it does to feed an individual, you are dictating what I eat. what if I needed to eat outback for every meal. might get pricey. I bet that I spend more on food right now, than my mother did raising 3 sons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Because as a group, we voted (or voted for those who decided) to have our tax laws set up this way. So, in essence "Because we said so!"

In this country, we have the RIGHT to have as many or as few children as we want. Do you now suggest that right be taken away from citizens? (not that there shouldn't be a test before people have kids, but that's a different thread altogether!)

As far as you eating caviar and whatnot, the point I was making was all things being equal, it costs more to feed a family than it does a single person. Being the 5th of 8 kids, I know for a FACT that hand-me-downs only go so far, government food is hideous-but nutritious AND that's why we chose to only have 2 kids.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Best version of the national anthem ever recorded.

YouTube - Whitney Houston singing the National Anthem

Yeledaf,

I hate to disagree with you, but this version of the National Anthem, by Smokey Robinson in 1986 World Series to me, blows away anything I've heard before or since. This was one of the few times music moved me to tears:
YouTube - Smokey Robinson Sings National Anthem at Fenway Park 1986

Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Yeledaf,

I hate to disagree with you, but this version of the National Anthem, by Smokey Robinson in 1986 World Series to me, blows away anything I've heard before or since. This was one of the few times music moved me to tears:

Both versions are self indulgent, dated and idiotic.

If you're gonna sing it then sing it straight up with some balls.

YouTube - The Star Spangled Banner( Chicago Stadium)

Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Yeledaf,

Very nice. Thank you, mike.

(Great to see Ted Williams.....)

Old 07-31-2008, 05:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Both versions are self indulgent, dated and idiotic.

If you're gonna sing it then sing it straight up with some balls.

YouTube - The Star Spangled Banner( Chicago Stadium)
Yes, that's the way I sing it. People give me funny looks but I don't care.

But I loved Whitney's version. And Smokey was class personified.

It's a big country. Room for all!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yes, that's the way I sing it. People give me funny looks but I don't care.

But I loved Whitney's version. And Smokey was class personified.

It's a big country. Room for all!

Fair enough.

Hearing Messmer sing the anthem was the best thing about going to a Black Hawks game, the place would go nuts.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 PM

164 posts, read 516,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Well, I might not be right, but I think that having kids is good for our society in a couple of ways:

When you are old and retired, it will be our kids who pay taxes to make sure you can get medicare etc.

Also, having good schools in your neighborhood are good for your home value. Also, being educated is good for society.

To be honest, I am not getting rich off the tax breaks I get by having kids. To be a DINK would be the ideal financial situation. Not only do you get more disposable cash, you don't have all the extra expenses of having kids (food, clothes, childcare, toys).

But having kids was the best thing we did. We love our family, and love contributing to society by raising decent citizens.
Well, hate to burst your bubble there, but there are lots of posters here at city-data that are post-baby boomer who hate baby boomers and think they've ruined their chances at the 'good life'. They'd just as soon you were starving on the streets as fully fund social security.

Don't count on the next generation on being as generous as you...they could just as easily be hard-hearted and vote you out on the streets.

Thank you for raising decent citizens, by the way. I know of too many parents who have them and then practically ignore them or go the other direction and spoil them too much. (Of course, some of these folks say they've raised decent citizens...but I'm sure that's not the case here. You sound genuine.)

Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I didn't say anything about them because it is irrelevant of the topic. read the thread. I have no problem paying what everyone else pays, I have a problem with TAX BREAKS. please read and stay on topic. I will not take advantage of medicare my friend, see, you know nothing about me.
I read your original post and you're whining about having to pay taxes that people with kids don't have to pay. I'm saying that we all pay taxes for things that we don't use, or hope we don't use, or that don't appear to benefit us directly. Giving people with kids a tax break, whether it's on their federal income taxes or waiving sales tax on school supplies, helps people with tight incomes to keep their kids clothed, fed and educated. That will help you in a number of ways when you're in your dotage, whether you want to recognize it or not.

And as far as not accepting Medicare when you turn 62, that's a crock. Spending 24 hours in the hospital can easily cost $10,000 and you're telling me that you're going to send back the government's money and pay for that yourself? I wonder if a person can even get primary insurance after they turn 62. If they can, the cost will be many thousands a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies