Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 11:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The problem is people who dont plan ahead or understand the financial consequences of having children who EXPECT things to be made easier for them because they decided to have kids.

Nobody wants the situation you propose where the kids suffer, but I think we would all appreciate it if people could be responsible for their own bad decisions of they truly cant afford to have kids.
So true! My parents, who make six figures, opted _not_ to have a 3rd child because they felt they really couldn't afford it (not to raise them, health care, send them to college, etc).

I think the folks who make in the low six figures (I know that sounds funny) are really screwed by the tax system if they don't have kids because your personal deduction is also reduced and you're still sitting in the sky-high tax bracket. Add not owning a home to that situation, and it's just bad news. You also don't qualify for a stimulus check, a Roth IRA, first-time homebuyers' incentives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Well, we'll see. You planning on haiving enough personal savings to cover you for 20 years or so after you are too old to work?
I can never get social security or medicare. I optted out of the system years ago. And have never looked back - nor worried about my future.

I am financially secure - and was able to invest the money that WOULD have gone into SS and will get back FAR MORE than SS would have ever paid me even AFTER paying for my own health care / insurance -

Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Medicare isn't crappy government health care. It's insurance to pay for whatever doctor you choose to go to. I'm about 100 percent sure you're not going to refuse it, or Social Security, or Medicaid if you fall and break your neck tomorrow and go broke.
I will not only "refuse" it but, as previously stated - I can never get it - and nothing makes me happier -

Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
We should all pay for the education and well being of children via our tax dollars. But I do agree with the idea that people should not get deductions for children or rebates. All of us should pay the same tax rates whether or not we are single, married or with kids. The first $30,000 in income should be tax free for ALL citizens- single, married, rich, poor, with or without kids and we should all pay the same rates on income over $30,000 which rise as out pay rises.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no. first off, I will not rely on social security and medicare. those are services for the worthless. secondly, what if the kids end up in jail. then they are just a further tax burden. see, I am not saying I don't want to pay for anything, I don't think parents should get tax breaks. it's as simple as that.
Well if you're that opposed to it, by all means reimburse the government for your parents' annual write-offs for every year they had to raise you.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:45 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,945 times
Quote:
I think that single people with no kids are totally screwed under our current tax "scheme." let me get this strait, I have no kids, but I pay for your kids education. I also pay for their health care, and all those other services that are provided for children. I don't like this fact, however, I accept it. where I start to get annoyed is when we give back more to those who take the most. I don't have a $3000 write off per child. I didn't get an extra wad in my stimulus check. these things annoy the crap out of me, but then I heard a new one. now residents of my state aren't paying sales tax on school supplies. WTF is going on? it's almost like you are forced to have kids to make any money in this country. you know what's even harder than being a parent? paying for kids that aren't yours. I am tired of this government forced child support for children I didn't have the pleasure of making. like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.
jmarquise,

I would venture to guess that you were a product of public schools, in which case some folks who had no kids (or no school age kids at the time) paid to send your sorry a-s-s to school.

I'm really getting tired of your attitude.

The government picks winners and losers each time they write tax code- it's usually the rich and powerful who are the winners. I for one fully support special tax breaks for families with children - the family unit is still the cornerstone of this country...

I can't help (nor do I particularly give a damn) what made you into the person you have become. But my advice is this - shut up and pay your damn taxes, or get married, or do me a favor and move to another country.

We'd all be a lot better with less of your kind...

HubbleRules

Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Well if you're that opposed to it, by all means reimburse the government for your parents' annual write-offs for every year they had to raise you.

This goes back to one of my points...nobody HAS to have kids, and nobody is ENTITLED to have kids. This seems to be the perception among many people though.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
jmarquise,
I would venture to guess that you were a product of public schools, in which case some folks who had no kids (or no school age kids at the time) paid to send your sorry a-s-s to school.
Quote:
...I don't like this fact, however, I accept it.

...like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.
HubbleRules...He said twice that he accepts that the dollars are spent for education, so I think your point is invalid, sounds like you just wanted to go on a rant without taking into account what was said in the first post. He is actually questioning the things above and beyond the norm...like the example he gave of tax free school supplies.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
HubbleRules...He said twice that he accepts that the dollars are spent for education, so I think your point is invalid, sounds like you just wanted to go on a rant without taking into account what was said in the first post. He is actually questioning the things above and beyond the norm...like the example he gave of tax free school supplies.

t206,

I understand your point, but I think he's against most tax breaks for families with children. What is wrong with providing tax breaks for health care for kids, or personal excemptions for dependent children, or tax breaks on school supplies??? It's for a worthy cause. Everyone who wants these things to end - think about where the next generation to pay for you when you get old is going to come from? If it is economically tough to raise a family, people will have fewer children -and we will be in trouble as a nation...

I'm sorry you think I'm ranting - I feel strongly about this point.

The same people who scream bloody murder about tax breaks for average Americans with children have absolutely no problem supporting major reductions in capital gains taxes, huge tax breaks for selling a personal residence, even support abolishing the estate tax (which really benefits the top 1% of income earners)...

Sorry -think of it as a rant - but it was straight from the heart....

HubbleRules

Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
t206,

I understand your point, but I think he's against most tax breaks for families with children. What is wrong with providing tax breaks for health care for kids, or personal excemptions for dependent children, or tax breaks on school supplies??? It's for a worthy cause. Everyone who wants these things to end - think about where the next generation to pay for you when you get old is going to come from? If it is economically tough to raise a family, people will have fewer children -and we will be in trouble as a nation...

I'm sorry you think I'm ranting - I feel strongly about this point.

The same people who scream bloody murder about tax breaks for average Americans with children have absolutely no problem supporting major reductions in capital gains taxes, huge tax breaks for selling a personal residence, even support abolishing the estate tax (which really benefits the top 1% of income earners)...

Sorry -think of it as a rant - but it was straight from the heart....

HubbleRules
I dont question your intent and want for good things, so "rant" was possibly the wrong choice of words, but quite often "things from the heart" are more emotional arguments rather than factual or logical arguments. I agree with some of what you said, but for the most part I cant find too many issues with things like leaving the current capital gains taxes in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies