Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think that single people with no kids are totally screwed under our current tax "scheme." let me get this strait, I have no kids, but I pay for your kids education. I also pay for their health care, and all those other services that are provided for children. I don't like this fact, however, I accept it. where I start to get annoyed is when we give back more to those who take the most. I don't have a $3000 write off per child. I didn't get an extra wad in my stimulus check. these things annoy the crap out of me, but then I heard a new one. now residents of my state aren't paying sales tax on school supplies. WTF is going on? it's almost like you are forced to have kids to make any money in this country. you know what's even harder than being a parent? paying for kids that aren't yours. I am tired of this government forced child support for children I didn't have the pleasure of making. like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.

You have to realize something.. children are the future of this country. It is imperative that they hve the best education.

Keeping that in mind.. pleae.. the savings that parents get for being parents.. ie: tax breaks..do not even come close to the cost of having children. Not that I'm complaining.. but if you don't have children.. you have NO IDEA. We, as parents, sacrafice a lot for our kids.. and any break we get.. ie: tax breaks.. not paying sales tax on school supplies.. we take it... There are benefits to both sides (for example.. there is no greater joy than being a parent. .. and as a single person with no children or a married couple with no children.. you can take those expensive vacatoins or buy more luxury items because you don't have to buy diapers, formula, school supplies.. etc... and agan.. this is NOT a complaint.. jsut a little perspective).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. I will have enough, because I don't waste. don't look at me because you have enjoyed a life of cable television and cell phones.
My company covers my cell phone, jmarquise.

You want it both ways.

On the one hand, you are this savvy investor that will beat the odds and have Millions and not need any government assistance in their old age, like almost the entire population, especially as medical advances allow us to live older.

On the other hand, you are this poor disenfranchised guy that scrambles come tax time and just can't believe and is enviuos of the few hundred bucks parents get for their kids of for caring for their elderly parents.

Either you are a Rich Miser aka Scrooge, or you are a poor SOB that is just whining about a few hundred bucks in tax breaks for other people's families.

Can't be both.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
excellent point. foolish of me to think the stock market might recover in 30 years. my bad. rep points to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I thought you had enough to cover yourself through decades of old age and sickness, jmarquise. Millions, right.

Or is your idea that through careful investments you will evolve from a poor sucker in your 30s to a Rich Man in your 60s.

If that is the idea, trust me you picked the wrong timeframe.

No way investments will cover you the way that the stockmarket is going.

So you may be thankful for all these "breeders" before too long.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:02 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
I think that single people with no kids are totally screwed under our current tax "scheme." let me get this strait, I have no kids, but I pay for your kids education. I also pay for their health care, and all those other services that are provided for children. I don't like this fact, however, I accept it. where I start to get annoyed is when we give back more to those who take the most. I don't have a $3000 write off per child. I didn't get an extra wad in my stimulus check. these things annoy the crap out of me, but then I heard a new one. now residents of my state aren't paying sales tax on school supplies. WTF is going on? it's almost like you are forced to have kids to make any money in this country. you know what's even harder than being a parent? paying for kids that aren't yours. I am tired of this government forced child support for children I didn't have the pleasure of making. like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.
why do those who give the least, expect the most?

because we have enabled them...I also believe the more kids you have, the more your taxes should be...I don't think, senior citizens should have to pay, they've paid they're dues....they are the ones who should get tax breaks, they are the ones who've worked all their lives and put they're kids thru school...they should be receiving tax breaks, not the rich.

Just my thoughts

Old 08-04-2008, 07:02 PM

perhaps when you make your first investment. it might be a home, it might be a stock. try to sell it, and take advantage of one of those bush tax cuts for the wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I hope I don't find out until after Saturday, cuz I'm just a little kid who watches Saturday morning cartoons.
When do you suppose I will suddenly change? When I retire?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 PM

don't need a hooker bub.

Quote:
Hookers don;t count.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM

but what part of that is not a personal choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You have to realize something.. children are the future of this country. It is imperative that they hve the best education.

Keeping that in mind.. pleae.. the savings that parents get for being parents.. ie: tax breaks..do not even come close to the cost of having children. Not that I'm complaining.. but if you don't have children.. you have NO IDEA. We, as parents, sacrafice a lot for our kids.. and any break we get.. ie: tax breaks.. not paying sales tax on school supplies.. we take it... There are benefits to both sides (for example.. there is no greater joy than being a parent. .. and as a single person with no children or a married couple with no children.. you can take those expensive vacatoins or buy more luxury items because you don't have to buy diapers, formula, school supplies.. etc... and agan.. this is NOT a complaint.. jsut a little perspective).

Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,466 times
jmarquise, If you are so financially well off, why does it matter to you that the government is throwing a bone to those in need? Have you no sense of charity? Dude, your karma is going to come back and bite you in the a$$.

I know that right now I have been paying into the Social Security system my entire working life and will never see a dime of that money. So what. It's all part of the American System. If you are THAT opposed to it, write to your local officials, to your senator, or whoever. Do something to change it or stop your whining.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM

no, you are now sounding foolish. read what you wrote, read what I write. either way, you lose.

Quote:
My company covers my cell phone, jmarquise.

You want it both ways.

On the one hand, you are this savvy investor that will beat the odds and have Millions and not need any government assistance in their old age, like almost the entire population, especially as medical advances allow us to live older.

On the other hand, you are this poor disenfranchised guy that scrambles come tax time and just can't believe and is enviuos of the few hundred bucks parents get for their kids of for caring for their elderly parents.

Either you are a Rich Miser aka Scrooge, or you are a poor SOB that is just whining about a few hundred bucks in tax breaks for other people's families.

Can't be both.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
excellent point. foolish of me to think the stock market might recover in 30 years. my bad. rep points to you.
Sure... it might recover. Hope you are not counting on it to make you a millionaire though, again unless your contributions are sizeable enough to make your original complaints and the premise of this thread laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies