Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times

Advertisements

public education is free, food and clothes are inexpensive. if you choose to buy your kid clothes at baby gap, then yeah, it might be expensive. not really whining as much as I am pointing out simple facts. those who use more, pay less. it's simple logic. and again, no, I will not use medicare. I will pay for private insurance, that is, if it's still around in 30 years. my father is over 60, and he pays $600 per month for health insurance for himself and my mom. PEANUTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read your original post and you're whining about having to pay taxes that people with kids don't have to pay. I'm saying that we all pay taxes for things that we don't use, or hope we don't use, or that don't appear to benefit us directly. Giving people with kids a tax break, whether it's on their federal income taxes or waiving sales tax on school supplies, helps people with tight incomes to keep their kids clothed, fed and educated. That will help you in a number of ways when you're in your dotage, whether you want to recognize it or not.

And as far as not accepting Medicare when you turn 62, that's a crock. Spending 24 hours in the hospital can easily cost $10,000 and you're telling me that you're going to send back the government's money and pay for that yourself? I wonder if a person can even get primary insurance after they turn 62. If they can, the cost will be many thousands a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
Bob Segar world series America the Beautiful

YouTube - America the Beautiful

Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
public education is free, food and clothes are inexpensive. if you choose to buy your kid clothes at baby gap, then yeah, it might be expensive. not really whining as much as I am pointing out simple facts. those who use more, pay less. it's simple logic. and again, no, I will not use medicare. I will pay for private insurance, that is, if it's still around in 30 years. my father is over 60, and he pays $600 per month for health insurance for himself and my mom. PEANUTS.
If you are so all worked up in a lather about this why don't you take a break between making your millions and posting on this forum and get politically involved to change the system. All we ever hear from you is how all the candidates are awful and our system is awful and how life is so unfair.

What a beating.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
that isn't all you hear from me. I actually post on lots of different subjects. I signed the petition to pass the fair tax, but it won't pass. nothing changes. that's why I laugh at obamabots, because change is a generic adjective that doesn't mean anything. washington is where good ideas go to die. I don't get worked up in anything. it's an opinion forum, I post an opinion. it does not consume me one way or the other.

p.s. you have just as many posts as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
If you are so all worked up in a lather about this why don't you take a break between making your millions and posting on this forum and get politically involved to change the system. All we ever hear from you is how all the candidates are awful and our system is awful and how life is so unfair.

What a beating.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So you prefer that a mom and dad making $10k a year combined should go and have 2 kids because its "hope for our future?"

Personally I think that is child abuse because you cant even begin to provide the most minimal things for that poor kid. Its selfish, short sighted, and just plain stupid.
-----------
I subscribe to paying taxes for school,etc as society needs this however I agree with your point that its a tax system which those who do not want kids have opted not to have kids are penalized when it comes to taxes .

I have no problem with being taxed for school,etc its just part of living in society but I do have a problem with paying more than those who make the same but have kids.
Tax us both the same . Why reward anyone for having kids why punish those who dont want them.

I think we agree on that.
I dont have a cell in my body that wants anything to do with kids lol but again I have no problem with paying for social services just dont make me pay more because I dont have kids.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 PM

337 posts, read 826,232 times
Public school is not free. We pay a pretty penny here for school taxes. While we have no state tax per say (I am convinced it would be cheaper for me if we did) I have to pay a % of the value of my house (county decides how much it's worth).

Trust me every year I wonder what am I getting for my money? Me, nothing because we don't have kids and if we ever did, they would go to private school.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:55 PM

564 posts, read 892,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Fair enough.

Hearing Messmer sing the anthem was the best thing about going to a Black Hawks game, the place would go nuts.

Yeah I have to agree with you, Messmer belted it out the way it should be sung. Houston is a has been crack head, Robinson sings it like 2 guys holding hands in California!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,694 times
Can posting to city-data more than 130 times in a day really be considered giving?

How can someone who spends all day on a silly forum be considered a libertarian?

How big of a teat must someone suck on to be able to afford to do that?

These are the questions this thread brings to mind.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I am waiting for one single valid argument from a parent out there as to why they get tax breaks when they use more in services.

I guess there has to be an incentive to birth, raise, feed and clothe the workers of tomorrow who will be paying into the social security system for you?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Instead of a myriad of taxes (property, sales, excise etc) we should institute a simple progressive income tax on corporations and individuals with a basic deduction equal to the 85th percentile of income. All income from all sources, averaged over five years, with dividends considered a legitimate business expense, should be the basis for the tax. This would, among other things, remove the special interest deductions that make the existing tax system so very complex and unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies