Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:39 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're right, you probably are a "rare type". which defeats your opening remark of the need for psychiatric counselling for a person who is different from you. Prostitutes do not expect the intimate act of sex to be better, they expect it to be remunerative. And the Johns pay for it, because it's the best they can get.

Some people love their work, and would do it even if they did not get paid for it. Other people do what they don't like doing, because there is a check on Friday. Prostitutes are no different from any other person working for a living. If a gal hates telemarketing, or cashiering at a convenience store, or rolling fat patients off their bedpans, should they get psychiatric counselling because they do it for money?

STD's afterwards would decline, because the amount of prostitution would probably not increase very much, but the licensing and regulations would require that they all have medical checkups regularly.
Why do you think prostitution wouldn't increase very much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Quote:
You're right, you probably are a "rare type". which defeats your opening remark of the need for psychiatric counselling for a person who is different from you.
Oh I see, I disagree with you so my opinion doesn't count? Nice perspective you have there.

Quote:
Prostitutes do not expect the intimate act of sex to be better, they expect it to be remunerative. And the Johns pay for it, because it's the best they can get.
That is very sad indeed, not only for the woman who feels she has to degrade herself but for the poor ****** who thinks he can't find a woman who will like him for himself.

Quote:
Some people love their work, and would do it even if they did not get paid for it. Other people do what they don't like doing, because there is a check on Friday. Prostitutes are no different from any other person working for a living. If a gal hates telemarketing, or cashiering at a convenience store, or rolling fat patients off their bedpans, should they get psychiatric counselling because they do it for money?
Some people do go to therapy if they feel dissatisfied with their lives. Whether it be to re-evaluate what they want in life, or how to deal with the stress in their lives. If someone is unhappy with their job they're free to seek employment elsewhere.
But I'm sure a telemarketer doesn't go into it because she feels that's all she's good for or that someone made her call people on the phone when she was younger.

Quote:
STD's afterwards would decline, because the amount of prostitution would probably not increase very much, but the licensing and regulations would require that they all have medical checkups regularly.
Really? You seem pretty sure of yourself. It's estimated that 1 out of 4 people now have an STD. Care to take that gamble if prostitution ever became legal?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
duplicate

Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Why do you think prostitution wouldn't increase very much?
Because most men who would frequently use prostitutes already do. There would be some increase, but not all that much. Most men are still pretty secretive about using prostitutes, either because they dont want their freinds to know that they can't get it for free, of they try to hide it from their wives. Men, in general, would remain resistant to using prostitutes, because the idea does not really appeal to very many of them. I doubt if the frequency would double. Meanwhile, the risk of STDs would fall by much more than the increase in trade, because of the medical inspections attached to the regulation. I think Nevada would have rescinded legalized prostitution if they were finding that it had a negative public health effect. Men who live in Nevada do not frequent prostitutes any more than men in other states, apparently, although gathering reliable statistics would be problematic. I'm just guessing, of course, but I can't really see a significant increase in the number of men who would suddenly start using hookers just because they're legal. There are plenty of countries where it is legal, and none of them have experienced problems with it running wild.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Oh I see, I disagree with you so my opinion doesn't count? Nice perspective you have there.

That is very sad indeed, not only for the woman who feels she has to degrade herself but for the poor ****** who thinks he can't find a woman who will like him for himself.

Some people do go to therapy if they feel dissatisfied with their lives. Whether it be to re-evaluate what they want in life, or how to deal with the stress in their lives. If someone is unhappy with their job they're free to seek employment elsewhere.
But I'm sure a telemarketer doesn't go into it because she feels that's all she's good for or that someone made her call people on the phone when she was younger.

Really? You seem pretty sure of yourself. It's estimated that 1 out of 4 people now have an STD. Care to take that gamble if prostitution ever became legal?
I never disagreed with your opinion, and I never said it did not count. Nor did I say any words that could have led you to believe that, except your opinion that you are qualified to judge, without even knowing people, who "should" get counselling. I pointed out that you yourself said people with your viewpoint are "rare", and I said I don't think a person with a self-admitted rare personality aspect ought to say the large majority of others "should" get counselling. If people feel dissatified with their lives, they can choose themselves whether counselling is appropriate for them. Many prostitutes think of themselves as working women, and have values quite unlike yours, so they do not feel at all dissatisfied enough to benefit from counselling. Not every prostitute is a skank on a street corner. How would you like it if I told you that "you should get counselling"? What would you think of me?

Working women with no job skills, especially single moms, have indeed been "forced" to get a crap job, by their state department of welfare, denied them benefits for being stay-at-home moms and forced them into "retraining" programs to get qualified for humiliating work. I can't think of anything more humiliating than beiing forced to phone people at supper time to sell them timeshares.

If you want to feel "very sad indeed", there are an awful lot of people in this country who are in a lot worse emotional anguish than people whose sex life is not perfect, and if you want to act on your concern for them, there are plenty of ways to do it. Start by volunteering to help battered wives, abandoned wives, and working moms with two jobs whose kids are in shabby day-care.

As for the STD's, if I ever dedided to take the gamble, I'd sure rather take my chances with a licensed and regulated and medically tested one.

I think it is very unfair for you to accuse everybody who disagrees with you as not respecting your opinion or implying that it doesn't count. I took very fair account of your opinion, and offered mine where it differed. If I point out that your logic is faulty, you might review what YOU said instead of blasting what I said.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-14-2008 at 02:24 AM..

Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Ya, sure it is going to happen and it is the world's oldest profession and that other arguments. Fact is, it is wrong, so very wrong. Most all prostitutes were molested and or abused as children. Most have deep seeded pshycological issues, drug abuse problems or both. Sending them out to sell their souls only ads fuel to the fire. If you have a daughter, mother, sister, think about it. Would you want life's circumstances leading her in a way that has her ending up like this? All these women are someone's daughter, sister, mother. Very sad and very wrong in my opinion. I'm glad it is illegal and hope it stays that way.
You have watched far too many movies.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 AM

Since yu ask the "if you had a daughter" question, I'll answer it

If I had several daughters. One was working her way through college as a "call girl". Another a telemarketer, phoning random people at supper time to pitch vacation time shares. One working as a medical insurance claims adjuster, getting a bonus for every claim she denies. Another working for a PR firm, getting paid to make lies look attractive and tell less than the truth. .

I would be most proud of the one turning tricks. But I would not be proud of myself at all, if I had so many girls who turned out with such values.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Ya, sure it is going to happen and it is the world's oldest profession and that other arguments. Fact is, it is wrong, so very wrong. Most all prostitutes were molested and or abused as children. Most have deep seeded pshycological issues, drug abuse problems or both. Sending them out to sell their souls only ads fuel to the fire. If you have a daughter, mother, sister, think about it. Would you want life's circumstances leading her in a way that has her ending up like this? All these women are someone's daughter, sister, mother. Very sad and very wrong in my opinion. I'm glad it is illegal and hope it stays that way.
Couldn't agree more.

Here Here!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Quote:
I never disagreed with your opinion, and I never said it did not count. Nor did I say any words that could have led you to believe that, except your opinion that you are qualified to judge, without even knowing people, who "should" get counselling. I pointed out that you yourself said people with your viewpoint are "rare", and I said I don't think a person with a self-admitted rare personality aspect ought to say the large majority of others "should" get counselling.
I never said the majority of others should get counseling, only prostitutes. I don't think they outnumber the general population and are the "majority"

Quote:
If people feel dissatified with their lives, they can choose themselves whether counselling is appropriate for them. Many prostitutes think of themselves as working women, and have values quite unlike yours, so they do not feel at all dissatisfied enough to benefit from counselling. Not every prostitute is a skank on a street corner. How would you like it if I told you that "you should get counselling"? What would you think of me?
Oh no I'm sure every single woman out there turning tricks is doing exactly what she's always wanted. Frankly I don't care if you think I need counseling.
I, unlike most prostitutes, have respect for myself. It's about opening your heart more than your legs.

Quote:
Working women with no job skills, especially single moms, have indeed been "forced" to get a crap job, by their state department of welfare, denied them benefits for being stay-at-home moms and forced them into "retraining" programs to get qualified for humiliating work. I can't think of anything more humiliating than beiing forced to phone people at supper time to sell them timeshares.
You honestly think that a telephone job is more humiliating than having to do various sex acts on creepy johns? Go ahead, ask a few prostitutes about how "proud" they are of what they're doing.

Quote:
If you want to feel "very sad indeed", there are an awful lot of people in this country who are in a lot worse emotional anguish than people whose sex life is not perfect, and if you want to act on your concern for them, there are plenty of ways to do it. Start by volunteering to help battered wives, abandoned wives, and working moms with two jobs whose kids are in shabby day-care.
Who says I don't help them? I have known plenty of people who lived like that. They worked hard to get out of their situations, and none of them ever considered walking the streets to do it.

Quote:
As for the STD's, if I ever dedided to take the gamble, I'd sure rather take my chances with a licensed and regulated and medically tested one.
As I'm sure all prostitutes will comply 100% with this

Quote:
I think it is very unfair for you to accuse everybody who disagrees with you as not respecting your opinion or implying that it doesn't count. I took very fair account of your opinion, and offered mine where it differed. If I point out that your logic is faulty, you might review what YOU said instead of blasting what I said.
You even said that since I'm the minority that whatever I say doesn't count, yeah that's very fair of you.
You never pointed anyone's logic faulty, perhaps it is you who should review what you said instead of accusing others of blasting you.

I am just still in shock that you think a telemarketer is more shameful than a prostitute. And the next time an episode of Maury Povich comes on and some 13 yr. old says she wants to drop out of school and become a prostitute, I surely hope you won't tell her to go for it.

Good day sir.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
And the next time an episode of Maury Povich comes on and some 13 yr. old says she wants to drop out of school and become a prostitute, I surely hope you won't tell her to go for it.
Who said anything about making sex with children legal? It's been said many times, the actions of two consenting adults is no business of yours or the government. We already have laws pertaining to statutory rape and child molestation, which should be actively prosecuted in every instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies