Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are not responsible enough to make your own decision going into a bar that allows smoking you're not responsible enough to be there to begin with.

You would expect that the local grocery store and Chuckee Cheese is going to allow smoking? If Chuckee Cheese allowed smoking it sounds like a golden business opportunity to open a non smoking establishment next to it. What am I missing here?
Nothing. There are plenty of places with just one type of establishment (bank, grocery store, etc.) so why should everyone else be forced to bend over backwards to accommodate your nasty habit? Why do you have such a problem with going outside? Why are you trying to place your individual rights over that of the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I am so glad your here to direct everyone's personal decisions. Why can't moonbats stop dictating what other people should do.
Again, the smoking issue is non- partisan.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
What I'm referring to is any privately owned business that wants to allow smoking. You can argue this a good a bad decision but as far as I'm concerned it's neither my business to tell someone they need to allow smoking or you tell them they can't. It should be at the sole discretion of the owner.

This can be applied to everything under the sun including how much butter is on your popcorn. The government does not have to be involved in personal choices and walking into a business that allows smoking is a choice.
Well then , I guess you should support the politicians who want the smoking bans lifted. Work to get laws changed, turn around the thinking of the majority of the people. I am not sure who started the smoking ban. I know it was the mothers against drunk driving that got the laws changed . I think they fell short by not going after the bartender who kept feeding the guy booze, then went out and killed a bus load of kids coming from band practice. I think it's wrong for the police to incarcerate the guy who has too much to drink, instead of calling a cab for him, especially when we have laws that regulate all kinds of drinking and at the same time allowing the bar to let these people who are officially drunk leave the bar and pilot there car 2 blocks from the crime scene.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's simple. A smoking ban doesn't keep anyone out. Allowing smoking effectively does. Do you really want to tell your grandmother that she can't go get groceries anymore because the one store within reach of her now allows smoking and she can't physically take the smoke? Do you want to tell the the 9 year old cancer survivor that she can't go to Chuckee Cheese anymore and be more like a "normal" kid after spending years in a hospital undergoing chemo because they decided to allow smoking and she physically can't take it?

Good post! I wonder where some of these people live?

Smoking inside a public space has been illegal here for a long time.

And these smoking advocates amaze me.

No only do they justify poisoning themselves.

They want the right to poison others.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Well then , I guess you should support the politicians who want the smoking bans lifted. Work to get laws changed, turn around the thinking of the majority of the people. I am not sure who started the smoking ban. I know it was the mothers against drunk driving that got the laws changed . I think they fell short by not going after the bartender who kept feeding the guy booze, then went out and killed a bus load of kids coming from band practice. I think it's wrong for the police to incarcerate the guy who has too much to drink, instead of calling a cab for him, especially when we have laws that regulate all kinds of drinking and at the same time allowing the bar to let these people who are officially drunk leave the bar and pilot there car 2 blocks from the crime scene.
Where the police get them for a serious crime.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? you like to force people who own private businesses to not do something that is perfectly legal.

I do not care if a business lets their people smoke or not. i do not smoke and still do not care one bit.
what is next? the politicians and health nazis going to make it illegal for people to drink beer while watching the vikings lose another football game?

if you do not like a business that caters to smokers, then just do not go to that business. that is the way it should have always been. instead we have politicians and health nazis dictating that businesses cannot have any smoking in the building at all, even though it is a legal substance.

what a crock you people are. next thing you know it will be illegal BBQ's, overweight people, smoking in your own home and drinking at home.
The problem is that there are more non smokers then smokers so they would lose more customers. And many people are allergic to it. And honestly, it's just common courtesy not to smoke in a restaurant where people are eating. I am a former smoker who never smoked in a restaurant even when it was allowed. I thought it was rude.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
so why should everyone else be forced to bend over backwards to accommodate your nasty habit?
The only one demanding they be accommodated is you, how you can arrive at any other conclusion is beyond me. Without a smoking ban the owner of the establishment, the smoker and the non smoker have the liberty to make their own choices. With a smoking ban nobody is left with choice, it's amazing to me how easy you would give up the liberty to make your own decisions.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
The only one demanding they be accommodated is you, how you can arrive at any other conclusion is beyond me. Without a smoking ban the owner of the establishment, the smoker and the non smoker have the liberty to make their own choices. With a smoking ban nobody is left with choice, it's amazing to me how easy you would give up the liberty to make your own decisions.

Maybe we should have no rules and bans at all and then we can all do what we want. Sounds good to me

Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Maybe we should have no rules and bans at all and then we can all do what we want. Sounds good to me
be careful what you wish for. ...you and the rest will be among the first to holler when there is no longer any laws and rules protecting us the people from tainted food, drug regulations , just about anything the FDA regulates and oversees. Why should there be any laws about age limits on smokes, booze , driving cars , and going to school , when all could be left to the parents to make these decisions to protect their own kids.. just let the strongest set the way things are done, cause they have the most muscle. in fact why have any laws at all, get rid of the cops, the lawyers, and the jails. just think of all the money we could save by getting rid of the IRS too., all Government agency's like the EPA , the Federal laws too, keep it local within the family.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
be careful what you wish for. ...you and the rest will be among the first to holler when there is no longer any laws and rules protecting us the people from tainted food, drug regulations , just about anything the FDA regulates and oversees. Why should there be any laws about age limits on smokes, booze , driving cars , and going to school , when all could be left to the parents to make these decisions to protect their own kids.. just let the strongest set the way things are done, cause they have the most muscle. in fact why have any laws at all, get rid of the cops, the lawyers, and the jails. just think of all the money we could save by getting rid of the IRS too., all Government agency's like the EPA , the Federal laws too, keep it local within the family.
I was joking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies