Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sounds like you have a hard time making decisions for yourself. Or you feel trapped in your life. Neither of which I can really make much of a comment on.

What.. what the hell are you talking about?? Wow.. I guess I gave you too much credit for intelligence..considering that one just plummetted your "intelligent" points by landslide.

Let me try to say it again.

There are SEVERAl insurance companies that offer coverage here in PA. ALL BUT ONE EXCLUDE ME FROM BUYING COVERAGE!! Accept for ONE!!! ONE!!! and of course being the ONLY option for ME in town.. they can charge whatever they damned please .. and THAT is because I have a pre-existing condition So what choice do I have then..

Oh.. and the GOVERNMENT is NOT the one dictating or legislating that only 1 insurance company offer insurance for my situation

BTW.. did you happen to see the article posted on this or the other thread that lists ALL the conditions that insurance companies "blacklist" people because of That list didn't come from the government.. that list comes from the capatalistic pig of the insurance company who cares only about PROFITS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You mean the evil government should step in and regulate the size of these companies?

You still have explained what you like about the middle men, however.
Who said government is evil? That sounds like a liberal talking about the use of the military. IMO the government is not competent in running businesses. It's fairly plain to see, it's on the news 24/7 you just are not deciphering it. The government has a duty to the people to keep companies from forming to where no competition can ever happen (instead of breaking up monopolies it created one to control the others, see GSE's). Obviously it will not do that if those companies can buy the politicians like they can now. Again my position is a philosophical one. We're already doomed IMO. It's pretty much too late. There was a possibility maybe in 2004ish. Now the government determines who wins and doesn't and there's not an exit strategy for that stance. Trillion dollar deficits for the next 8 years coupled with the trillion dollar yearly welfare obligations along with interest.... Things are looking up...

Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-01-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
What.. what the hell are you talking about?? Wow.. I guess I gave you too much credit for intelligence..considering that one just plummetted your "intelligent" points by landslide.

Let me try to say it again.

There are SEVERAl insurance companies that offer coverage here in PA. ALL BUT ONE EXCLUDE ME FROM BUYING COVERAGE!! Accept for ONE!!! ONE!!! and of course being the ONLY option for ME in town.. they can charge whatever they damned please .. and THAT is because I have a pre-existing condition So what choice do I have then..

Oh.. and the GOVERNMENT is NOT the one dictating or legislating that only 1 insurance company offer insurance for my situation

BTW.. did you happen to see the article posted on this or the other thread that lists ALL the conditions that insurance companies "blacklist" people because of That list didn't come from the government.. that list comes from the capatalistic pig of the insurance company who cares only about PROFITS
I don't doubt it. Unfortunately that's the price to pay for circumventing natural selection in a monetary system. I've clearly pointed out many times my position isn't physically possible anymore. You and the people with your same interest are who I was referring to when I said the people will vote themselves into poverty for one more day of life.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
BTW.. Cobra plans are much cheaper than it would cost an employee to go out and purchase a "private" plan because the fired or axed employee is getting the benefit of the employers group discount rate.
That is an incorrect statement for the simple reason it is almost like comparing apples to oranges. Cobra plans are *typically* much more expensive because they are typically much better plans that cover more things. Back in 03 when my husband died it cost over $800 for my 10 month old son and me. It was a pretty good plan, covering much more service, less deductible, less copay, etc. My private healthcare plan is currently half that but the trade off is my deductible is much higher ($5000), my copay is $65, no preventative care is covered including vaccinations for my son and my yearly physical, etc. Of course this example is just me but I've known several people on Cobra over the years and Cobra payments for an average family of 3-4 are $1000/month and very often reaching twice that. I don't think there are many private plans, of course I'm sure it varies by state, that have as good of benefits as most group plans.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
I don't doubt it. Unfortunately that's the price to pay for circumventing natural selection in a monetary system. I've clearly pointed out many times my position isn't physically possible anymore. You and the people with your same interest are who I was referring to when I said the people will vote themselves into poverty for one more day of life.

so.. your answer is I should DIE
Are you a parent? Do you haev a CHILD? Is so, how would you feel if your child was born with genetic disorder .. that with proper meds could live a happy normal and fulfilled life? ARe you willing to allow yoru child to DIE because OTHERS want to be greedy and self serving.

Thank you for that post.. thank you for illustrating how selfish and disgustng YOUR side of the argument could be. I'm appalled at your callousness, lack of compassion .. it's quite disgusting..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
That is an incorrect statement for the simple reason it is almost like comparing apples to oranges. Cobra plans are *typically* much more expensive because they are typically much better plans that cover more things. Back in 03 when my husband died it cost over $800 for my 10 month old son and me. It was a pretty good plan, covering much more service, less deductible, less copay, etc. My private healthcare plan is currently half that but the trade off is my deductible is much higher ($5000), my copay is $65, no preventative care is covered including vaccinations for my son and my yearly physical, etc. Of course this example is just me but I've known several people on Cobra over the years and Cobra payments for an average family of 3-4 are $1000/month and very often reaching twice that. I don't think there are many private plans, of course I'm sure it varies by state, that have as good of benefits as most group plans.
Correct. However, COBRA is cheaper than buying the exact same policy individually!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,229 times
And I think the primary difference is I don't think that healthcare should be run like a business just like the police, the military, roads, schools, etc.

I also want to add that when you are buying insurance for ANYTHING, in essence you are paying for others. Insurance companies take a gamble that more people will not need to get out of insurance what they put in. The difference is you are also paying for execs 100+million dollar salaries, all the paperwork that comes with a billion different insurance companies, amoung other things. I would rather, personally, the excess that I don't have to use (hopefully) go to someone that can't afford it. But that's just me.

I am all for capitalism. I am actually for smaller government and less wastage. I do believe capitalism works as long as you have laws and regulations that keep it fair and safe (like discrimination, labor laws, etc.). But I DO NOT believe healthcare should be grouped in with other businesses.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Who said government is evil? That sounds like a liberal talking about the use of the military. IMO the government is not competent in running businesses. It's fairly plain to see, it's on the news 24/7 you just are not deciphering it. The government has a duty to the people to keep companies from forming to where no competition can ever happen (instead of breaking up monopolies it created one to control the others, see GSE's). Obviously it will not do that if those companies can buy the politicians like they can now. Again my position is a philosophical one. We're already doomed IMO. It's pretty much too late. There was a possibility maybe in 2004ish. Now the government determines who wins and doesn't and there's not an exit strategy for that stance. Trillion dollar deficits for the next 8 years coupled with the trillion dollar yearly welfare obligations along with interest.... Things are looking up...
Let me get things right first (to avoid flip flopping in the future), and respond with a yes or a no to the following:
1- You're not averse to government regulating the size of companies.
2- You are okay with the free market not being completely free (ties to above point).
3- It is okay if government creates something like GSEs to break monopolies.

As for trillion dollar deficits, a trend was set three decades ago, this is only more of the same. At least now we actually know that deficits aren't being masked, but brought out in open, war expenses not being covered up (and being included in the budget), a forward thinking process is in place that despite criticism of costs is willing to do something about the health care nightmare that is sitting out there.

What do you suggest...
4- Should the government just force these companies to break into smaller pieces?
5- Should the government maintain status quo and worry about deficits?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Here is something he hasnt told everyone.... When Bush passed Medicare D he had no source of funds and it will ultimately cost more than SS. It will grow and take over 20% of the US budget... and you think we have problems now? Who do you suppose benefits from this bill? Could it be large pharmaceutical companies? Do you suppose maybe we need to cancel it?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM

272 posts, read 295,727 times
What they don't tell you about the numbers is interesting:
1. 9.7 million of those are not US citizens
2. 17.5 million of those make over $50,000 a year
3. 10 million were age 18-64 and didn't work

Your numbers may be correct however it doesn't include those who are insured but barely, those who think they have great insurance until they get that life threatening illness, those making $50,000 year and paying $10000for insurance and don't know if next year when the price goes up more than 10% if they will continue to be able to afford it, those who have insurance but don't use it because they are afraid they are going to be dropped, those that can only afford insurance for major catastrophe's so don't visit a doctor regularly or the companies that can no longer afford to supply insurance or those that keep passing on the price to their employees. Lucky all of you who have great insurance from your employer enjoy it because your day may come where you are in the same boat as many of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies