Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Here is something he hasnt told everyone.... When Bush passed Medicare D he had no source of funds and it will ultimately cost more than SS. It will grow and take over 20% of the US budget... and you think we have problems now? Who do you suppose benefits from this bill? Could it be large pharmaceutical companies? Do you suppose maybe we need to cancel it?
No, I think we need to reform it. Senior citizens take a lot of meds, and they shouldn't have to make a choice between buying their meds and buying food. I find it hard to believe anyone thinks it will take over 20% of the US budget. MAYBE 20% of the medicare budget, but if it helps keep people out of the hospital, that's good! The pharmaceutical companies need their chanins yanked, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
What they don't tell you about the numbers is interesting:
1. 9.7 million of those are not US citizens
2. 17.5 million of those make over $50,000 a year
3. 10 million were age 18-64 and didn't work

Your numbers may be correct however it doesn't include those who are insured but barely, those who think they have great insurance until they get that life threatening illness, those making $50,000 year and paying $10000for insurance and don't know if next year when the price goes up more than 10% if they will continue to be able to afford it, those who have insurance but don't use it because they are afraid they are going to be dropped, those that can only afford insurance for major catastrophe's so don't visit a doctor regularly or the companies that can no longer afford to supply insurance or those that keep passing on the price to their employees. Lucky all of you who have great insurance from your employer enjoy it because your day may come where you are in the same boat as many of us.

so true.. I'd be curious to see what the new numbers that are coming out will be with the rate of unemployment climbing!!

Many people are getting a quick education on the healthcare access system. and it's a brutal one!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
so.. your answer is I should DIE
Are you a parent? Do you haev a CHILD? Is so, how would you feel if your child was born with genetic disorder .. that with proper meds could live a happy normal and fulfilled life? Are you willing to allow your child to DIE because OTHERS want to be greedy and self serving.

Thank you for that post.. thank you for illustrating how selfish and disgusting YOUR side of the argument could be. I'm appalled at your callousness, lack of compassion .. it's quite disgusting..
You clearly fear death, which proves my point. You will vote yourself into poverty to live another day. We all die by the way. I haven't found anyone that has a monopoly on that but throughout history it's riddled with people willing to do anything to circumvent it. If one person is "impoverished" that's just cause to add trillions more onto the obligation. If we have 267 million Americans that are insured and have a medicare program that is obligated for $32 trillion, what would another 40 million people added to the system do? So far all we get is that it'll get cheaper despite facts pointing otherwise.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-01-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM

272 posts, read 295,727 times
It all seems ridiculous to me. Tax payers are willing to spend money on some of the most ridiculous things...... gas passed by cows and the effect on global warming to name just one. We are willing to take care of the health of people in other countries but not willing to find a way to help with health care in their own country. Argue about our country going broke or out children having to pay our bills with some of the ridiculous programs our country supports. No one is talking about free health care make it affordable health care to all.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You clearly fear death, which proves my point. You will vote yourself into poverty to live another day. We all die by the way. I haven't found anyone that has a monopoly on that but throughout history it's riddled with people willing to do anything to circumvent it. If one person is "impoverished" that's just cause to add trillions more onto the obligation. If we have 267 million Americans that are insured and have a medicare program that is obligated for $32 trillion, what would another 40 million people added to the system do? So far all we get is that it'll get cheaper despite facts pointing otherwise.
Fear death? Humans strive to survive otherwise we'd go the way of the Dodo. TristansMommy has diabetes and apparently since she was a child. My hunch is it was much easier to treat years back but now it isn't a picnic in the park for the same treatment from years back. What would you have her do? Leave her family, fly to the antarctic and wonder off on an ice sheet?

Last edited by jmking; 04-01-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
They cry about the COST of healthcare.. wether they had those cars or not.. health insurance shouldnt take up 21% of a FAMILIES INCOME!!! If I had 2 cars that cost that much too I would still say the cost of healthcare is WAY TOO HIGH FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON.

BTW..if you look at the report that they posted the "average" household doesn't spend 12K a year on cars.. Transportation was around $8,000/year and that could include ALL FORMS of transportation (think commuters, gas, maintenance, insurance for said transportation)..

So your "friends" are not the "average".. and if they are still paying for healthcare they haven't sacraficed a priority so that they can have their "car"... and they are STILL completey right about bitching about the cost of healthcare.. Health insurance is equivalent to a SECOND MORTGAGE these days

BTW.. I'm not sure what "model" they are operating off of.. if it's not working..it's not the right formula.. again the UK system is excellent and the Swiss plan is not too bad either.

Maybe you should read up on it and get some knowledge on it so you actually know what you're talking about rather than just spewing rhetoric

anything not covered in the Constitution and Bill of Rights is something left to the "State" and the "people". meaning since health is not something covered by the Constitution, the state and the people, not the federal goverment are to make do for themselves.

self responsibility is a big thing, but we know how liberal need to have their vicitms in order to get elected, after all if there were no vicitims in the USA, the democrat party would never get elected.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
anything not covered in the Constitution and Bill of Rights is something left to the "State" and the "people". meaning since health is not something covered by the Constitution, the state and the people, not the federal goverment are to make do for themselves.

self responsibility is a big thing, but we know how liberal need to have their vicitms in order to get elected, after all if there were no vicitims in the USA, the democrat party would never get elected.
I'm a conservative and I can attest when it pertains to the health care insurance industry there is a big gorilla in the closet. And it aint going away soon unless something is done. If not then kingkong is going to outgrow his closet and that's a fact.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

Maybe we should dismantle the interstate highway system, the service academies, and any other federal influence.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

You have NO idea WHAT my thoughts on death are.

I'm not AFRAID of death.. but I'm 35 years old with a three year old child.. I"m not READY to die.. I have too many things left yet to do.. including raising my child.

Just like anyone else..I know I will die.. but if I can live a long, happy and productive life with my disease then I deserve to just like anyone else

You have ignored many of the posts with information provided to show that it gets cheaper.. you just don't want to hear it. Rather than actually educate yourself on it and look at it honestly you just want to spew utter nonsense and right wing rhetoric.. because you obviously do not care anything for your fellow man.. and fellow citizens.

Do children who could otherwise live happy and productive lives DESERVE to die. We have the medicine available to save them.. GOD designed us with a high intelect for just that purpose....

Again your attitude is disgusting.. thank you again for affirming the selfish attitude and utter nonsense of the right wing argument

Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Fear death? Humans strive to survive otherwise we'd go the way of the Dodo. TristansMommy has diabetes and apparently since she was a child. My hunch is it was much easier to treat years back but now it isn't a picnic in the park for the same treatment from years back. What would you have her do? Leave her family, fly to the antarctic and wonder off on an ice sheet?

LOL.. thank you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies