Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 02:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times

Advertisements

your passion is admirable but completely off topic. We are not debating tolerance and acceptance. We are suppose to be debating whether this "Silent Day" is appropriate in a public school setting. Like I said before, if I tried to do this at my job I would be fired.

If they want to protest fine just not while we the tax payers are paying for it. That is what the debate is about.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:32 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Tell this to my friend who recently died about tolerance, or lack of it, who was not only harassed by a parent for being gay, called my Q U E E R and other names worse than this by his father and teased and ignored in school. Children need to accept people that are different and because someone is gay does not mean they are wrong only different from the majority. Unfortunately school isn't just a place to learn whats in book's,teaches a lot of who we are and what we are whether we like it or not. My youngest daughter was exposed to Christianity in school we did not like it , but it taught her to be more tolerant of Christians. We did put her in a private school, not because of the Christians but because of the school system. Most of you wouldn't be able to tell a straight from a gay and a lot of you would be rather surprised at who is and who's not. Viva the differences. I would rather mine go to an all gay school than go where all the children are taught that gays are bad.
I am so sorry for your friend. I have a friend that had quit school due to the lack of tolerance .Some want to make this a political issue of course, but to me it is just another excuse to keep gay people quite. They have no problem with student government and debate teams in school and dances, that our tax dollars pay for but heaven forbid gay people got involved and asked for equality.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Many schools have been observing this practice. It appears that this particular issue is raised out of the context of its historical merit. It isn't about politics so much as the students themselves wanting to make a difference. I can't imagine how it get turned around to be something forced, or coerced or shoved down a person's throat. It was a simple gesture for a complex issue.

Do people also oppose the events that the students participate in at their own behest on December 1, World AIDS Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
your passion is admirable but completely off topic. We are not debating tolerance and acceptance. We are suppose to be debating whether this "Silent Day" is appropriate in a public school setting. Like I said before, if I tried to do this at my job I would be fired.

If they want to protest fine just not while we the tax payers are paying for it. That is what the debate is about.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
Original question, "Keep Children Home on 'Gay' Day of Silence, April 18" Absolutly, keep them home keep them away from them!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Original question, "Keep Children Home on 'Gay' Day of Silence, April 18" Absolutly, keep them home keep them away from them!
Yea it could be catching!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got gaydar? better watch out..

Old 04-01-2007, 04:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You got gaydar?
That was cute

Old 04-01-2007, 05:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
But you probably interact with them every day--you just may not be aware.

I dunno, I am not sure that a public school is the place for this or any sort of 'protest' day. But then academia has ever been a hotbed of all sorts of activism. So it fits. High school is probably a tough road for anyone who is gay. The day of silence might rub some the wrong way, but a school is where we learn, isn't it?
That's the place where people are communicating, thinking and exploring and creating.
I attended my first Earth Day in high school.
According to what I have read, there are alternatives for the kids who do not want to participate on the day of silence. It's probably their *parents* who do not want them there, but whatever.
BTW
My kid, who goes to a public school, has a half-day Friday because of Easter.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
But you probably interact with them every day--you just may not be aware.

I dunno, I am not sure that a public school is the place for this or any sort of 'protest' day. But then academia has ever been a hotbed of all sorts of activism. So it fits. High school is probably a tough road for anyone who is gay. The day of silence might rub some the wrong way, but a school is where we learn, isn't it?
That's the place where people are communicating, thinking and exploring and creating.
I attended my first Earth Day in high school.
According to what I have read, there are alternatives for the kids who do not want to participate on the day of silence. It's probably their *parents* who do not want them there, but whatever.
BTW
My kid, who goes to a public school, has a half-day Friday because of Easter.

1/2 day? My kids have the day off of in observance, yet we dont observe. Unless you count hunting for eggs observing!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
It occured to me that the day of silence will also be a good opportunity for those who feel that homosexuality is a sin to reinforce this with their children, but to also let them know that Jesus would hate the sin, but love the sinner.

I use events, news broadcasts and rude behavior that my kids and I witness as learning experiences and opportunities to discuss issues and instill my values.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM

267 posts, read 533,724 times
My school has an active bible club who organize on school campus. We were, however, denied a GSA. But, we have classrooms where we express our opinions in an open and intellectual manner sparking new ideas and in some cases building friendships and I am proud to be able to participate in what I feel is important to me in a student run effort to preach non-violence in school through tolerance. Day of silence is not to force support, or criminalize deeply held beliefs, participants ban together in hope that someone won't wind up bruised and bloody for being openly gay, an open transvestite, or trans gendered person.

I've seen many a protest in my day. People boycotting Starbucks for environmental issues. Others against cruelty to animals. Rallies for Breast Cancer and AIDS, but school continues on ribbons, pins, and silence. But, if you insist on keeping your children home...and enough parents follow your example...maybe school lunch lines will be short for once?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies