Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
The subject just doesn't belong in our schools, where some may find that lifesytle wrong and it could offend them and shame them for being forced to accept something they might believe as being immoral and it also hurts the gay community and makes them feel bad too, just is not the place.

School is for learning, writing and reading and etc, it should not be a place where children are forced to believe differently from their religious upbringing and it should be not a place of fear of ridcule cause they are gay and can't help themselves...the subject will never be agreeded upon and frankly I hope it stays that way, cause it is freedom of expression that we could lose, our fundamental right to be who we are dispite what others think, whether your beliefs lie, you should have every right to them. It creates an uncivil environment when start bringing things up like this, not unlike on here. Imagine trying to learn Physics and Literature while people arugued! Goodness gracious people!

It isnt about accepting gays, it is about EVERYONE being able to be safe in SCHOOL.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,219 times
Everyone is safe in schools, as much as they can be anyhow I guess...YOU cannot and should not force people to go and ditch their religious beliefs as you can not expect a gay person to turn straight, that is called brainwashing and its wrong.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 AM

146 posts, read 572,067 times
Default Tolerance vs Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
It isnt about accepting gays, it is about EVERYONE being able to be safe in SCHOOL.
Of course it's about the acceptance of gays. Let's not be naive. Tolerance is now a hidden curriculum in the public schools. Saftey, schmaftey. Gays are not being physically assualted at the rate that straight whites are being bashed. Look at the crime statistics. This is about cultural values and not safety.

America is being forced, under the guise and command to "be tolerant" to embrace a philosophy in which no truth exists and everything is acceptable. We should be tolerating a lot less in this country.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM

What we should tolerate is human civil rights, they seem to be eroding alot these days and I do suspect it will get worse as people are rather dumb bout it and just too busy to care here. SAD.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 AM

I am a proud member of the UCLA! Check it out everyone, they fight for all rights of all people as it should be and never should ever change! If you mess with that, you mess with FREEDOM! We must take the good with the bad, in order to keep AMERICA the home of the free....We can't allow our country to become another Russia, is that what some want? Prolly so, will they get that? Most likely so, why? cause no one cares anymore, thats way.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:45 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Of course it's about the acceptance of gays. Let's not be naive. Tolerance is now a hidden curriculum in the public schools. Saftey, schmaftey. Gays are not being physically assualted at the rate that straight whites are being bashed. Look at the crime statistics. This is about cultural values and not safety.

America is being forced, under the guise and command to "be tolerant" to embrace a philosophy in which no truth exists and everything is acceptable. We should be tolerating a lot less in this country.
Tell that to the gay kid in the hospital here that got quite a beating in school and nothing was done about it.

And again this is about ALL STUDENTS regardless of sexual preferance.
GLSEN Gay , Lesbian ,STRAIGHT Education Network. Bulling in any form should not be tolerated. And how do you know the straight kids are being bullied more? Do you attend all these schools? Not all crimes are being reported and alot more in these schools are down right being ignored!! Most gay kids are to scared to report it or just know no one will care. And it is really sad that people have to be "forced" to be tolerate of other people not like them. So I guess if that is the way it should be less tolerate of things we dont agree with, I should be alot more rude when the religious people come knocking on my door.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I have to disagree. I hate to think about what it would have been like in the 60s and 70s if the youth never got involved. It's important that people are exposed to these issues, especially the youth. It might not matter too much on the West or Northeast coast, but in other areas where only one side is taught (i.e. gays are sinners) there should be something else around to give a different point of view so that tolerance can be learned. Matthew Shepherd anyone?
By the way,Matthew Shepherd I believe was murdered out west, either Montana or Wyoming. Hate knows no geographical boundry.

Somehow I don't believe being "exposed" to a few people wearing buttons and keeping quiet would have stopped these criminals. But this is all besides the point. Children are in school for education, not to be "exposed" to a protest If they want to protest on the streets and be silent that is their business. I feel bringing it into the public schools is in-your-face because they know they will not be ignored.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:50 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,527 times
Quote:
Tolerance isn't a value; it's a fascist mantra of the politically correct Left to silence opposition to perversion and the degradation of the American culture.

It's as if Emerson, Charles Pierce, William James and John Dewey never lived.

America is being forced, under the guise and command to "be tolerant" to embrace a philosophy in which no truth exists. Nietzsche would be so proud. Everything is relative from the perspective of a particular special interest group. We've been brutalized to accept the perverse notion of "many truths" and "tolerance".

Any challenge to the acceptance of immorality results in the challenger being negatively labeled: a close-minded bigot, or worse yet, a Christian, or the ultimate nasty label, a Republican. Anything goes but just don't be intolerant...or negatively labeled.

We should be tolerating a lot less in this country.
Like I have asked many people so far do you even know WHAT morality is or simply what you have been told? Have you even really begged the question? I doubt it and like I said earlier ALL sins are equal in the eyes of god so it HARDLY matters that they aren't so in your own.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:58 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,527 times
Quote:

For a teacher, at least I am assuming you're a teacher, I would expect more of you. Oh, not for your apparent lack of concern for an entire portion of the student body...I just chock that up to you being a poor teacher...where I did expect more from you is some intellectual honesty. Gays are not assaulted as much as straights? Of course their not if you're dishonest about it. Gays make up only 10% of the population so if you look at the PURE numbers of course it doesn't show the truth but if you use your brain even a tiny bit and look at the percentage of fights involving gay/straight while factoring in their percent total of the population you will find that the violence is very disproportionate toward the gay students. How about some intellectual honestly...or am I over-estimating you?

Last edited by Kereczr; 04-01-2007 at 02:11 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,658 times
Tell this to my friend who recently died about tolerance, or lack of it, who was not only harassed by a parent for being gay, called my Q U E E R and other names worse than this by his father and teased and ignored in school. Children need to accept people that are different and because someone is gay does not mean they are wrong only different from the majority. Unfortunately school isn't just a place to learn whats in book's,teaches a lot of who we are and what we are whether we like it or not. My youngest daughter was exposed to Christianity in school we did not like it , but it taught her to be more tolerant of Christians. We did put her in a private school, not because of the Christians but because of the school system. Most of you wouldn't be able to tell a straight from a gay and a lot of you would be rather surprised at who is and who's not. Viva the differences. I would rather mine go to an all gay school than go where all the children are taught that gays are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies